Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gelcoat sun damaged after 1.5 years. yay winnebago :-(

host_name_dave
Explorer
Explorer
hello,
I was excited to get my 2017 winnie drop in gorgeous blue. figured if I kept it clean, applied whatever protective stuff, it would last forever. not. the fenders are a shiny silver, so the sun damaged a semi circle above them. noticed the fade a bit, but too inexperienced to jump all over it, so I cleaned the awning with an rv awning cleaner. this cleaner ran into where the coating burned off and streaked/oxidized it horribly. no soap would take it off. tried clay bar. nothing. polishing compound worked on a tiny test area to an extent...

so whats the deal with this space age gel coat? seems pretty delicate to me. guess Ill buy a cover or get covered storage. 20+ years with aluminum coaches never a problem 1.5 with the expensive gel coat? disaster. any secrets of the trade out there? im considering a boat shop, just let them do their magic. anyway, any tips would be appreciated.

thanks...
nrg~~~~
9 REPLIES 9

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm considering a boat shop, just let them do their magic. anyway, any tips would be appreciated."

I think you answered your own question. Just go to a boat shop that regularly does fiberglass repairs in house rather than sending it out. Be prepared for some sticker shock. What does Winnebago say, if anything? A call might be worth your while. IMO, a little more durability could be expected.

Chum lee

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It'll probably buff and polish out.
Hard to beleive an awning cleaner or something that is designed to clean vinyl/fabric damaged the gel, even if it was a bit oxidized.

RE oxidation? It's a semi constant effort to keep gelcoat from oxidizing. It has it's advantages over urethane paint, but you have to keep up with it, if it's exposed constantly to UV light.

Example, bought a 3 year old boat. Had been slipped for 2 summers only and the transom, where exposed (black gel coat), was very oxidized already. And the quality of it was assuredly better then what goes into an average RV.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same problem with our dark grey Keystone 5th wheel, on the side that faces south, so this is not an issue with just Winnebagos. It is what it is when you buy a darker color trailer then park it outside. We're building an outbuilding right now to store it in, then we are going to clean it with a bunch of specialty products designed for this. Figure it's worth a shot, can't look much worse than it does now.

Next trailer will be white.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe that's why Winnebago quit offering those bright/extreme colors and has gone back to the basics; white, grey, beige.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Seen a red Micro Minnie a few years old that looked hideous from sun damage or oxidation. No telling the level of maintenance done as I did not talk to the people, but it looked bad.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
host_name_dave wrote:
so I cleaned the awning with an rv awning cleaner. this cleaner ran into where the coating burned off and streaked/oxidized it horribly. no soap would take it off. tried clay bar. nothing. polishing compound worked on a tiny test area to an extent...

We never use those special "RV cleaners". From black streak removers to awning cleaners, most are too harsh and often discolor or oxidize the area. Would suggest you stick to a gentle cleanser like tide powder or dish soap especially washing gel coat of any color.
2010 Suncruiser

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
host_name_dave wrote:

so whats the deal with this space age gel coat? seems pretty delicate to me. guess Ill buy a cover or get covered storage. 20+ years with aluminum coaches never a problem 1.5 with the expensive gel coat? disaster. any secrets of the trade out there? im considering a boat shop, just let them do their magic. anyway, any tips would be appreciated.

thanks...
nrg~~~~

Space age gel coat is basically a product that has been around for 60yr.

There is a reason 95% of fiberglass boats are white. It's a pain to keep dark gelcoat looking good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
do you have any pics?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your issue. Iโ€™ve had none with my 2015.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad