cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolly towing

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy is gonna tow his 95 Wrangler 4x4 on a tow dolly behind his RV. It’s a manual, is he ok in neutral or will there be damage? Thanks
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
17 REPLIES 17

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
2015 jeeps say no tow dolly only 4 wheel down in park transfer case in neutral this is in the book....
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I am no expert, but I believe you can NOT tow a Jeep with a transfer case with only the rear wheels on the ground because the transfer case/transmission is lubricated by a pump that is driven by the front driveshaft. So it will spin okay, but it will not lubricate unless the front driveshaft is spinning working the pump.....

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnecting the drive shaft is by far the safest if you have to put a Jeep on a dolly.

Pulling the shaft entirely can allow contaminants to enter the transfer case, so we remove the U-joint bearing at the pumpkin and use a load strap to secure the drive shaft up and away from the suspension.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"...put it in neutral also transfer case in neutral..."
That is not what the Owner's Manual says! Again, READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the Owner's Manual!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We all the Jeeps being towed I doubt whether it is a big issue four down without pulling drive shaft. Chances on getting knocked into gear is very slim.
Towed on dolly maybe more of an issue!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
My 4wd Liberty can be towed 4up, or 4 down, no other way(save driveline removal). The way I understand it, is that the transfer case works the same as a differential in that if only 1 side is turning, it will raise havoc w/ the spider gears.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke to my buddy that owns a tow company and he said put it in neutral also transfer case in neutral and if the rear drive shaft can be spun with your hand you are good but still the chance of it slipping out of neutral while in tow. He said only safe way is to pull the rear drive shaft. He said if the rear drive shaft is moving the transfer case will heat up..... he doesn't have a trailer and no time to get a tow bar so the Jeep stayed home.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Again, READ and FOLLOW the instructions written in the Owner's Manual for your information and edification.
The Manual does not say that you can tow the Jeep on a dolly with the rear driveshaft removed, but it DOES say that transfer case damage is a possibility if it is towed on a dolly. Will the bearings dry out and self-destruct if you tow it that way? I do not know. You can always call Jeep Customer Service and ask them.
I would never tow my Jeep on a dolly. But then, the Jeep under discussion here is not mine. Do as you will. If the transfer case bearings seize up and shatter the case it will be an educational experience. If it doesn't happen, that, too, will be an educational experience. Please come back and let us know either way.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 2002 jeep Wrangler (4 wheel drive) 4 down for many miles. Put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in 2nd. Leave the key off just before the push button to get the key out. That leaves the steering wheel unlocked. Never had a bit of trouble. Plus it doesn't put any miles on it that way. The Jeep only has 30,000 on it and I bought it new in 2002.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep transfer cases have a tendency to slip from neutral into gear, when towed front wheels up. Some models can be towed rear wheels up, but I certainly don't recommend that on a dolly.

When they are towed 4-down, the transfer case stays in neutral.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
someone needs to explain to me how it is all right to tow it 4 down with the drive shaft in but you need to take it out to tow on a dolly. Am I missing something here?

Slap that puppy in neutral and go. 1995 Jeeps, assuming they're 4WD, only need to be put in neutral. Taking off the drive shaft is only to get you dirty, and make you manly looking cuz you own a Jeep. It's recommended you don't shave for three days prior to leaving. :)......Dennis

95 Tow guide
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
someone needs to explain to me how it is all right to tow it 4 down with the drive shaft in but you need to take it out to tow on a dolly. Am I missing something here?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if he removes the rear drive shaft the Jeep can be towed with the front wheels on a dolly with no problems. The transfer case does not have to be in Neutral, the transmission does not have to be in gear.
Seems to me, though, that considering the fact that a 5000 lb. capacity towbar is available from Walmart for less than $175, (that is what I use) or from Harbor Freight for less than $100, and magnetic tow lights are available from the same sources for $20 to $50, and a Jeep can be towed 4 down with no problems (read and follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual), it doesn't make sense to use a dolly.
But, again, it can be done with the rear driveshaft removed
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
He must look at owner's manual.
The normal item to be in neutral is the transfer case. Then the transmission in gear.

Flat towing Jeep

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker