Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Dolly towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dolly towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, READ and FOLLOW the instructions written in the Owner's Manual for your information and edification.
The Manual does not say that you can tow the Jeep on a dolly with the rear driveshaft removed, but it DOES say that transfer case damage is a possibility if it is towed on a dolly. Will the bearings dry out and self-destruct if you tow it that way? I do not know. You can always call Jeep Customer Service and ask them.
I would never tow my Jeep on a dolly. But then, the Jeep under discussion here is not mine. Do as you will. If the transfer case bearings seize up and shatter the case it will be an educational experience. If it doesn't happen, that, too, will be an educational experience. Please come back and let us know either way.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spoke to my buddy that owns a tow company and he said put it in neutral also transfer case in neutral and if the rear drive shaft can be spun with your hand you are good but still the chance of it slipping out of neutral while in tow. He said only safe way is to pull the rear drive shaft. He said if the rear drive shaft is moving the transfer case will heat up..... he doesn't have a trailer and no time to get a tow bar so the Jeep stayed home.

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 4wd Liberty can be towed 4up, or 4 down, no other way(save driveline removal). The way I understand it, is that the transfer case works the same as a differential in that if only 1 side is turning, it will raise havoc w/ the spider gears.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all the Jeeps being towed I doubt whether it is a big issue four down without pulling drive shaft. Chances on getting knocked into gear is very slim.
Towed on dolly maybe more of an issue!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"...put it in neutral also transfer case in neutral..."
That is not what the Owner's Manual says! Again, READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the Owner's Manual!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnecting the drive shaft is by far the safest if you have to put a Jeep on a dolly.

Pulling the shaft entirely can allow contaminants to enter the transfer case, so we remove the U-joint bearing at the pumpkin and use a load strap to secure the drive shaft up and away from the suspension.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no expert, but I believe you can NOT tow a Jeep with a transfer case with only the rear wheels on the ground because the transfer case/transmission is lubricated by a pump that is driven by the front driveshaft. So it will spin okay, but it will not lubricate unless the front driveshaft is spinning working the pump.....

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2015 jeeps say no tow dolly only 4 wheel down in park transfer case in neutral this is in the book....

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dolly towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.