cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge RM 2610 help-gas works, won't get cold

Slackjaw
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1993 Lance Squire 8000 and it has a Dometic RM 2610 fridge/freezer.

When I run the fridge on electric, the cannister on the back of the fridge gets warm, but the fridge/freezer doesn't get cold.

With the fridge on gas, the gas is lit and stays lit, but the back of the fridge doesn't get warm and the fridge/freezer doesn't get cold.

Wondering what can be happening? I'm leaving on a fairly significant trip and really don't have time to pull it and roll it. Is there something else that I can try?

Thanks for the help.
2015 F250 6.2L 4x4
Super hitch w/4' extension, tork lift front tie downs, fabricated rear tie downs
1992 Lance Squire 8000
7 REPLIES 7

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
It's always good to take your RV frig for a bumpy ride down a washboard road while it's running...The refer is the scariest part of buying a used RV...Kinda like rolling the dice if the previous owner kept it fairly level setup ...

I only have had to replace one cooling unit,knock on wood.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Iโ€™ve done that as well with an old RV fridge. Like Bob, I figured I had nothing to lose. It worked, and I continued to use the fridge until I got rid of the camper.

Itโ€™s funny, there are many other types of equipment that can have a problem like this, and that obstruction inside the cooling unit would be called a โ€œclinkerโ€, and youโ€™d use whatever mechanical means necessary to dislodge it, and continue using the equipment. You wouldnโ€™t just throw it away if a little time and effort on your part could get it working again. But for some reason, itโ€™s become accepted to say that at the first sign of internal problems like this you should just give up and buy a new fridge, or at least a new cooling unit.

You might as well accept the fact that an RV absorption fridge is going to experience some pretty rough handling at times, and if the environment is rough enough to shake the fillings out of my teeth, itโ€™s probably going to knock some of that internal plating off the cooling unit. If a large enough chunk ends up blocking one of the smaller orifices inside the unit, the cooling process is going to slow or stop. With a blockage like that, if you can get it to move into an area where it wonโ€™t cause a problem, youโ€™ve saved yourself some money. This wonโ€™t work for an internal blockage caused by running the fridge out of level. Those tend to be immovable, and they wonโ€™t dissolve back to liquid either.

I would only replace a fridge or cooling unit after trying this at least once.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

A few years ago my 2610 did the same thing. I was FT and stationary for a while so I bought a small bar fridge. That did me for a while.

Come spring I tried everything I could to get the reefer going again. Nothing. Same symptoms you mentioned. Everything ran but it wouldn't cool.

I pulled the unit out, carried it outside to the parking lot and took it for a walk, end over end about 10 full 360s. Every flip I paused a couple minutes. And I flipped it in the same direction every time. Piece of cardboard under it so I wouldn't scape it up on the pavement.

Took it back in, reinstalled it and it has been working perfect ever since.

Horseshoe luck? Maybe, but the other option was to cough up about 1700 bucks for a new one in a 97 trailer.

I know you said you don't have time, but it only took me a couple hours from the time I broke out the tools to start to the time I put them away. Maybe 3 hours tops, dont recall for sure.

Pulling the fridge out is very easy. I did it by myself, its not that heavy, but having an extra pair of arms helps.
I removed the door for the operation.

Worth a try, you never know. Time? Your call there.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seeing that everything is working on electric and gas seems like it is a blocked tube or you had a leak and the ammonia is low. Does the fridge have a strange smell?

If there was no flame on gas or the electric was not making it hot there are other options but that end of things are working.

You could try taking some ice in the freezer.

Long term try rolling it but more than likely you will be replacing the cooling unit or the fridge.

These things always happen at the worst time, a rule for RV's!!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
At the age of the fridge, sounds to me like it has a blocked tube inside. Time to remove it and flip it and it that don't work, time for a new one. They do wear out.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WARM? SHOULD GET SO HOT YOU CAN,T TOUCH IT. LOOK AT THE FLAME SHOULD BE NICE BLUE COLOR ABOUT A ONE INCH LONG .IF NOT PULL BURNER AND CLEAN. do not POKE ANYTHING THREW THE ORFICE HOLE ,AIR IS JUST FINE.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have flame and no cooling not too much to check.

Maybe you have a build up of soot in the exhaust tube or that twisted rod that hangs down inside the tube has broken off. Try giving the burner tube a good rap

Other than that it appears that the fluid isn't moving right and your suggestion of flipping it might be the only way out.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650