cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying out of state

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
I will be flying to California for a few weeks and would like to buy a Class C while there and drive it back to Florida (where I live). A few questions come to mind:
1) Do the gas Class C's have different smog requirements and will I be sorry I didn't buy in Florida?
2) How do I license the RV in order to spend a week driving it back home?
14 REPLIES 14

Not applicable
If you buy in crazy Cal, but register elsewhere, you will take delivery out of (closet) state, then pay wherever you register. But, you may have to pay a โ€œuse taxโ€. Where you register. (To punish you for not buying in your own state.). In addition to reg. taxes.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
htss wrote:
I purchased our fifth wheel in WI and brought it back home to CO. I ended up paying sales taxes in both states. The PDI was rushed and things were missed because I was on a very tight time frame. I had no support from the dealership for any problems without dragging it back to WI, which I was not going to do. I would not do it again and cannot recommend it. If you do it, I hope you have a much better experience than I did.

we bought our first new HTT, from a Chicago dealer, 2000 miles away.
we drove there to pick it up. they charged us Illinois tax and California charged the difference.
as to support, Forest River found us local dealers that did the warranty work. we also could have used an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. we just had to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
so we would definitely do it again.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Smog compliance (factory specs) should be the same for all 50 states.

If you take delivery in CA - you *WILL* pay approx 10% in sales tax.

Also (delivery in CA) you will most likely have to pay CA registration = big bucks.

Take delivery out of state - or purchase in a state with no -or low- sales tax.

Advice: Revise your purchase plans !!..:R

BTW - "break in period" is no different for a Class C -vs- your car or pickup,
or your personal preference.
Look at the chassis/eng mfgr's handbook.

CA has stricter emissions laws than most other states. Just like all the warnings "this product is known to cause cancer in CA." Sure glad I don't live in CA, too many things I use would give me cancer if I did live there. http://www.californiacarlaws.com/smog-laws/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

htss
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased our fifth wheel in WI and brought it back home to CO. I ended up paying sales taxes in both states. The PDI was rushed and things were missed because I was on a very tight time frame. I had no support from the dealership for any problems without dragging it back to WI, which I was not going to do. I would not do it again and cannot recommend it. If you do it, I hope you have a much better experience than I did.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if buying from a dealer? they should know how this is done.you can,t be the only person who has bought from out of state.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a travel trailer in OR...I am a FL resident. OR issued a 10 day temp tag (not near long enough to get FL title work done.) I paid FL sales tax to the DMV in FL while doing tag work from "the road." OR had no sales tax and I knew I would have to pay FL.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Smog compliance (factory specs) should be the same for all 50 states.

If you take delivery in CA - you *WILL* pay approx 10% in sales tax.

Also (delivery in CA) you will most likely have to pay CA registration = big bucks.

Take delivery out of state - or purchase in a state with no -or low- sales tax.

Advice: Revise your purchase plans !!..:R

BTW - "break in period" is no different for a Class C -vs- your car or pickup,
or your personal preference.
Look at the chassis/eng mfgr's handbook.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a break in period on a class c?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to specifically buy in Cally? Cally taxes are terrible. There's lots of quality Class C's closer to where you live.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Considering this a dealer transaction, and not private party.... If you take delivery in California, you will have to pay their sales tax. When you register it in Florida, you wonโ€™t have to pay again, but you also will not get any refund if FL is less than Ca.

In order to not pay tax in California, you will have to take delivery out of State, but they will charge you a delivery fee... Anywhere from $450 and up, depending where you take possession.

Canโ€™t help you on the smog, and also not sure you would have to do anything but get a trip permit if itโ€™s a private party purchase.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plus do you have a complete PDI to complete and not depend upon the dealer's show and tell PDI? Even if you buy from a owner.

Plan to spend a full day if not more on YOUR PDI. And when not if you find problems what is your plan given that it could take weeks to resolve? Buying a RV is NOT like a car if that is your background.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do some research on CA sales tax which you might not have to pay. You might have to take delivery out of CA. And then what happens when you register it in some other state.

As a CA resident I didn't pay sales tax on my prior rig which was delivered to NV. I was a passenger with a driver on the trip. As a non resident your situation may be different but you may still need to take delivery out of state.

Be advised that CA is an expensive state to live in and most likely you'll be paying a premium price. And read up on dealer warranty which is often poor and non existent for you.

Case in point: OR fuel prices are $1/gal less.

While I can't answer the smog question please post your findings.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call the Californai Air Resources Board (CARB) and ask them about smog regs.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot answer the Gas and smog issue but regarding the registration you should get a temporary registration / plate from California that would give you time to drive it back to Florida.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle