cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External TPMS recommendations?

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Be mounting new tires shortly and decided it would be worthwhile to upgrade to a TPMS system for monitoring. There seem to be hundreds of different types available. I'd prefer to have one that reads both pressure and temp if possible. Looking for recommendations from those of you who have one and like it.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab
15 REPLIES 15

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
If I were in the market for a TPMS I would give this system some serious thought.

Much better than having to wait and watch for several minutes to see all pressures with my TST system.
Who watches their TPMS screen? That's what the alarm, or passenger, is for. Taking your eyes off the road to see the screen is not smart. Keep your eyes on the road and let the electronics do their thing.

So you never look at your instrument panel to check you speed, oil pressures or engine temperatures!!

I check my tire pressures for pressure trends that occur before the alarm points. One time I noticed a tire was loosing pressure and I pulled over at the next safe place. This is what I found.

Have I waited until I got an alarm I may not have been able to find a safe place to pull over before the tire failed and tore up my trailer.

Way too many variables for your analogy . Sudden loss of air blowouts etc etc. That bolt its a slow leak I got mine set for very little loss of air, to protect against what you are worried about. Yup, lots of variables .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
If I were in the market for a TPMS I would give this system some serious thought.

Much better than having to wait and watch for several minutes to see all pressures with my TST system.

Several minutes ? I have the TST 507 , it continually displays tire pressure , and temperature . Although it does not show all four at once , it scrolls thru all four in just seconds, no minutes involved . Not sure what you are talking about, plus as said whether its displayed all the time or every few seconds , the alarm is the key.

Sure if you are staring at it continually you will see a change, not interested in doing that , The alarm works for me .

I am sure the one you are referencing is great, but the TST gets the job done as needed

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A glance tells me all I need to know with regard to instruments. You specifically said "wait and watch for several minutes", that's not a glance. And yes, it's possible you might not have found a spot to pull over immediately, and it's also possible that you might have rear-ended someone while you were looking, not glancing, at your TPMS screen. Personally I think the latter scenario is worse by far.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
So you never look at your instrument panel to check you speed, oil pressures or engine temperatures!!

I check my tire pressures for pressure trends that occur before the alarm points. One time I noticed a tire was loosing pressure and I pulled over at the next safe place. This is what I found.

Have I waited until I got an alarm I may not have been able to find a safe place to pull over before the tire failed and tore up my trailer.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who watches their TPMS screen? That's what the alarm, or passenger, is for. Taking your eyes off the road to see the screen is not smart. Keep your eyes on the road and let the electronics do their thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
TST saved me from trailer damage and a ruined tire. Had just purchased new tires and had a slow leak in the valve stem. During the trip I noticed the tire pressure going down on that one tire and by the time I got part way to my destination, I found a Discount Tire shop and they did find a bad valve stem. Saved me money and time finding out there was a leak before things blew up.
Paid for itself at that point.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
We've settled on TST. Seems to be suitable for our needs. I had hoped that Amazon would have it on sale during prime day, but that didn't happen! So, we'll pull the trigger next week at their current price of $297.

Thanks again for the tips and guidance!

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very happy with Tire Minder. They have good customer support also.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
TST great company. Had a tire going down on a trip a few weeks ago, TST system saved me lots of trouble. Friends traveling behind us saw how great it worked and went home and ordered one.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful pointers. Lots more research to do.

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's too soon. Most RVers wait until they have a blowout that causes extensive damage to the stuff underneath ๐Ÿ™‚
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
This subject is discussed a lot. TST seems to be the most popular. But Tire Minder, Pressure Pro, EEZ, and a few others also have satisfied users.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
See this article for suggestions:
LearnToRV - TPMS

Personally, I use the TST system.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page