Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas TV for a year long trip

tbecker82
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are considering doing a year long RV trip with our two kids, that would cover the entire continental US and a trip up to Alaska at some point. We've decided we want a 5th wheel and are leaning towards the Jayco 29.5FBDS with a 10.5k GVWR. I am looking at F350's either with the 6.2L or the 6.7 diesel.

I am aware of all the pros and cons of gas vs diesel, I used to own a 2000 F350 dually and currently have a 2017 Tundra. My main concerns are range with the gas engine, the length of time we will be on the road, and towing in the mountains.

I think the range issue could be solved by adding a transfer tank into the bed of the truck. I would love to hear any feedback from people who have gone this route. I know that gas fuel tanks cannot be gravity feed from an auxiliary tank, but I'm ok with pulling off and topping off quickly.

The length of time on the road and towing in the mountains issue I would love to hear some advice or feedback of people who have done what we are thinking about with a gas engine.

There are some other issues which are impacting my decision. After the year of travel is up, our plan is to return to our land and get building our house to start our homestead. The truck will then become our work truck around the farm in addition to our RV tow vehicle. I like the gas engine for this, I can see a lot more starting and stopping and short trips and diesels don't like that a lot.

The other issue pointing me towards the gas is that for me to get a 6.7L diesel, I will have the cost of deleting it. It's not a huge deal but it's an added 1.5k-2k expense on top of an already more expensive truck.

Also, I'm looking at used trucks somewhere between 2012-2016 and less that 75k miles.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I greatly appreciate any advice/criticisms anyone might have.

Tony
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley summed it up in one succinct statement. End of discussion.

I can take a new 6.0, 4.10 Chevy and itโ€™ll sht all over itself pulling an 8-10k flatbed trailer between here and Spokane. Truck will get 7mpg, shift 1,234 times and have to stop in Moses lake for gas.
I can take my old Dodge 5.9, same size fuel tank. 4500lb 12โ€™x8โ€™ billboard in the bed (camper) and a 6500lb boat behind it. I will downshift it exactly once for necessity to 5th gear coming out of Vantage. Truck will pull 6th but egts get too high. And have enough fuel to get into Montana a little ways.
You decide which you prefer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ordually wrote:
Y
No question the 6.7 is faster and better performing at altitude, but the 6.2 can get it done for the weights its rated. For range, the longbed has a 38G tank (50G in the new 2017+).

Ord

I guess the question becomes do you want to go a year with an engine that "Can get it done"
or do you want an engine that "Gets it done".
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ordually
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ve laid out two requirements: nationwide cruiser and homestead worker. The best engine for one may not be for the other.

That said, the 385hp 6.2 is plenty for the job of tower, if you go by Ford tow ratings (22k GCVWR with the 4.30, I think 19k with the prevalent 3.73). Ford indicates reducing that by 2% per 1k feet, so you need to calculate a little margin if you want the best performance.

Donโ€™t be thrown by the comparison responses on here from those that have had earlier generation or smaller gas engines in the 300hp-range. Some users on this forum, like ib516, have switched from diesel to gas and towed in the Rockies to good effect. I have pulled my 12k horse trailer around the mountain west with my gasser Ford and have no complaints on performance; see my post history for more. I don't tow much, do a lot of short trips and chores on my land, so the gasser is right for me. I have 34K miles on my 2005.

See also: YouTube TFLtruck Ike Gauntlet towing tests for high altitude high grade; theyโ€™ve tested several 6.2s up that 7 mile run to good results.

No question the 6.7 is faster and better performing at altitude, but the 6.2 can get it done for the weights its rated. For range, the longbed has a 38G tank (50G in the new 2017+).

Ord
2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
So I had a 2009 GMC 2500 HD 6.0L gas. Traveling from Wichita, S to Holbrook, AZ the tranny downshifted every 10 miles, literally. And I could never use the cruise control, I had to lock the tranny in 5th gear. A year later I traded the truck for a 2013 GMC 2500 6.6l diesel. Making the exact same trip the diesel downshifted once the entire trip and I used the cruise control the entire way.

While I have an RV of any size to tow I'll always have a diesel.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
If you do go with diesel, get one new enough to have a factory exhaust brake. That's my favorite feature of mine in the hills.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a gas truck, skip the in bed tank.... go with a larger capacity tank that replaces the factory tank. I think Transfer Flow makes them, so does Titan Tank.

If I were doing a trip for that length of time and distance, I'd go diesel.
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RDS and JME are 2 mfgs I know that make DOT certified tanks that are specifically called out for hauling gasoline.
Use an explosion proof pump.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t read all the replyโ€™s but I would go with a gas HD truck. Unless you are buying a pre DEF truck I wouldnโ€™t want the hassle of being stuck in the side of the road for hours waiting to be towed somewhere. Because of current emissions the new diesels are not as reliable as they used to be. Give me a gasser over a diesel. Iโ€™ll take the hit on fuel mileage knowing Iโ€™ll make it to my destination.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tbecker82
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
tb82, I did not read through all the posts, but can give you some food for thought on the aux gas tank in the bed. Sure you cannot doa a gravity feed. however on mine i installed a typical 12 in line fuel pump between the aux and the main filler neck. Draw the gas from the tube in the top of the tank that has the pick up from the bottom. Put a veton 12 vol normally closed valve between the outlet of the fuel pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Power those two puppies up to a switch like the upfitter in the Ford. So you can flip the switch and replenish the fuel in the main when you want to. Since the fuel valve closes the Ford fuel system is shut when not refueling, I did an open vent on the aux and down through the bed with and in line filter since i am paranoid about having an open vent to the tank..

Thank you very much Dave, that is some great information.
If you have some pump recommendations or even what aux tank you went with I would appreciate it.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
tbecker82 wrote:
I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

For $45k you can buy a new Ram Tradesman CTD.

Not sure I would want to drive all around the US in a Tradesman, I like power seats and more information display, and comfortable seats.

Lol, you went from a soon to be classic truck to a new one a couple months ago and now a new "Tradesman" wouldn't be up to your discerning standards?
Some folks just make a guy laugh.

Lifestyle creep I guess. You couldn't carry on a conversation in his old truck going down the highway. Now a new Tradesman doesn't enough features or good enough seats. That payload sticker didn't used to mean much either, but it sure does now. People are definitely funny creatures.

Not really Lifestyle Creep, the 2001 Ram was also a Laramie, about only options not on it were leather and alarm. Power seats, power windows, power steering, remote power door locks, power heated mirrors Camper and Tow package. I just got the same trim level with more trim! So now DW also has a power seat, and seat memory, nice stereo system just like the 2001.
I never liked towing over GVWR, while the 2001 did very well and was within axle and tire ratings.
We full time so the Ram in our only vehicle, so we enjoy the creature comforts.
I also test drove a 2018 Tradesman 3500 SRW, it wasnโ€™t a $45K version had some features like the HO and Aisin, but no Power Seat which was a deal killer for me, lowest trim to get power seats (drivers only) was SLT and that is an option.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
I live out west and have a similar weight fifth wheel and I wouldn't be very happy with a gas truck - going uphill or down. That said, a gas truck will certainly pull that weight without causing any damage barring road rage from somebody who gets stuck behind you on a long two lane ascent with no passing lanes.

450 HP vs 385 HP pulling 10,500 GVWR trailer is not going to put you in road rage situation. FUD meter is pegged.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:

Lifestyle creep I guess. You couldn't carry on a conversation in his old truck going down the highway. Now a new Tradesman doesn't enough features or good enough seats. That payload sticker didn't used to mean much either, but it sure does now. People are definitely funny creatures.

When I test drone a Tradesman a few years back the seat was like sitting on a apple crate, even compared to the 2001.5 SLT we had at the time. Reminded me of the 1980's Suzuki Vitara we test drove.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FireGuard wrote:
tbecker82 wrote:
I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

For $45k you can buy a new Ram Tradesman CTD.

Not sure I would want to drive all around the US in a Tradesman, I like power seats and more information display, and comfortable seats.

Lol, you went from a soon to be classic truck to a new one a couple months ago and now a new "Tradesman" wouldn't be up to your discerning standards?
Some folks just make a guy laugh.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
tb82, I did not read through all the posts, but can give you some food for thought on the aux gas tank in the bed. Sure you cannot doa a gravity feed. however on mine i installed a typical 12 in line fuel pump between the aux and the main filler neck. Draw the gas from the tube in the top of the tank that has the pick up from the bottom. Put a veton 12 vol normally closed valve between the outlet of the fuel pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Power those two puppies up to a switch like the upfitter in the Ford. So you can flip the switch and replenish the fuel in the main when you want to. Since the fuel valve closes the Ford fuel system is shut when not refueling, I did an open vent on the aux and down through the bed with and in line filter since i am paranoid about having an open vent to the tank..