cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy 8.1 dropping into a low power mode

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
I just pick up a 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with the Chevy 8.1 engine. I drove it a short time and it dropped into a reserve power mode. At that time an almost dead battery was being charged by driving the rv home. I got a check engine light and it posted a P1516 error code. Could a low battery cause this problem (thatโ€™s what the previous told me was the cause)? I googled the code and got a ton of information. Before digging into the problem, I thought I would post the problem hoping someone could give me some help. Should I erase the code and run it to see if the problems comes back? I hate to take it out of the driveway and have the same problem. Thanks for your help.
John
4 REPLIES 4

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Iโ€™m going to double check my battery but will probably replace it since it has a 2013 date code.
John

dalsn1
Explorer
Explorer
Low battery causes that

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen low battery do this . I have also seen a bad throttle body do this

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 8.1L would occasionally go in to limp mode. I would just throw the chassis battery disconnect switch for a few seconds and this would correct the problem by resetting the electronic control module. Happened no more than twice a year.
If the problem does return immediately, then it needs to be checked further.
If you were driving in the rain, sometimes the air intake will ingest water and cause the MAF to put the engine in to limp mode. Check the air cleaner and see if it is wet.