cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock Guard

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
What's the consensus on how much distance on level ground between the road and the bottom of the rock guard assuming it's a solid rubber piece and not the brush type?
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
8 REPLIES 8

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If you read the installation recommendations for the Ultra-Guard, you'll see they recommend 4-1/2 to 5 inches of clearance between the bottom of the flap and the ground.

If it drags, it will certainly pick up rocks as you drive along.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

et2
Explorer
Explorer
After having experienced a 4x4 being thrown by the wheels on our last MH, I personally can tell you that the hanging guard does its job. If it wasn't there the 4x4 would have went through the radiator and out the back and into the toad. Instead it was forced out the side from under the rig without damaging anything.

It bent the **** out of the flap. The flap was still there when we sold it. I have never had any rock damage on from the flap throwing up rocks on the last 4 toads we've owned.

The flap on our last MH and this one were about 2" from the road when aired up.

I will never remove ours.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mud flaps behind the wheels should be enough. The big flap is just trapping hot air kicking up rocks etc. Looks nice till you drag it through dip and the trailer hitch puts a big dent or cut in it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I removed ours and it seemed the toad was getting more rock chips. I cut some off the bottom so it couldn't hit the road and it seems much better than it did originally with it on or with it off.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We removed ours, all chipping stopped.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If your rock guard touches the ground, it will kick up rocks as you're going down the road. 5 inch clearance on level ground is what you're looking for. Any closer and you're going to defeat the purpose of having it. If it's all the way at the back of you're MH, the height my vary significantly when you're loaded and ready for travel.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mine is about 1 1/2 in sitting on level ground. Its mounted on chains so it swings back if it touches the ground.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
5" but rear overhang is one of the factors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob