cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There's a reason to get rid of six-year-old tires.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to replace that six-year-old tire right after one more little 900-mile trip. BAD MOVE. I hit a huge pothole on I-35 in northern Missouri. Three newer tires took the shock, but the fourth one (the six-year-old tire on the back axle of the trailer ) blew out.

It's not just the tire -- it's always the collateral damage that hurts. The blowout took out most of the wiring to one of the slides. I have spent most of three days splicing wires and running to Home Depot. Four of the wires went to speakers in the surround-sound system, so there was the added fun of figuring out which wire went to which speaker.

How I wish that I had replaced that tire BEFORE the trip.
24 REPLIES 24

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
My 5er tires were 6 years old, my truck tires were around the same. I always keep an eye on the tires for cracking,stones in the tread, etc.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
Pipeman,

What do you feel is a safe "timed out" in your situation? I am just curious and trying to determine a time frame for my equipment.

Trailer tires, I'm of 5-6 year belief.
Car tires for a garage queen, 7 years

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pipeman,

What do you feel is a safe "timed out" in your situation? I am just curious and trying to determine a time frame for my equipment.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I run with Michelin XPS ribs on my 5er. I just replaced all 5 of them with new as they aged out not wore out. I did the same with my truck. All Michelin on it and last year changed out 7 due to age not wear. Expensive but safe. They all looked like they just came out of the factory.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Harsh. Sorry to hear.

The one time I was milking a tire longer than I should, I hit a pot hole, the TPMS went off in seconds, and I was able to pull over all within about a minute (at least it felt that way- I could be wrong). I got lucky that there was no damage and the tire just went flat.

Wow, you got lucky on that one!
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you take the tire to GY? If so what was the reason for failure? There have been a few with center tread separation dated in 2015. They simply don't blow as yours did unless they have let go without the center three ribs for many miles.

Contact GY they will take care of you unless it's road hazard.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
From the OP: the answers to above questions:
(Q) Blowout happened how long after the pothole? (A) Immediately after hitting the pothole.

Harsh. Sorry to hear.

The one time I was milking a tire longer than I should, I hit a pot hole, the TPMS went off in seconds, and I was able to pull over all within about a minute (at least it felt that way- I could be wrong). I got lucky that there was no damage and the tire just went flat.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
old tires are a problem just waiting to give you grief.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP: the answers to above questions:
(Q) Blowout happened how long after the pothole? (A) Immediately after hitting the pothole.

(Q) What kind of tire? (A) Hankook LT 235/85 load range E. I had used those for a few years until one blew out in 2014. The newest (2013) Hankook was kept as my spare. I had recently swapped it and the Sailun because the Sailun was getting bald on the outer treads, and I hoped the Hankook was good for "one more trip".

It may seem odd that I was running just one Sailun, but I didn't want to go far without a spare after the 2014 blowout in a rural part of Oklahoma. The only tire shop in the area had only one tire of the right size, a Sailun load G, so I bought the one.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Sailun S637 rv folks hype about is the 16" load G in two sizes.

Sailun does make the S637 in your 17.5" load H in a couple of sizes which are very popular on haulers type websites.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well we didn't hit a pot hole or anything else, just tooling along on the Ohio Turn Pike just shy of the Indiana border when BOOM there goes the curb side front tire, and not a cheap tire either, a Good Year G114 LTH 17.5" "H" rated tires. All four tires were running within a couple of pounds of each other and temps all with a few degrees. Tires are 4 1/2 years old, was hoping to get a little more out of them, but all are being replaced, going to try the Sailuns and see if they live up to their hype.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
It's not just the tire -- it's always the collateral damage that hurts. The blowout took out most of the wiring to one of the slides. I have spent most of three days splicing wires and running to Home Depot. Four of the wires went to speakers in the surround-sound system, so there was the added fun of figuring out which wire went to which speaker.

How long did you drive on it after hitting the pothole that the tire shredded and beat up the camper?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Travlingman wrote:
My Goodyear's hit 6 years this year too. They looked fine but I didn't want to push it. Put some Sailun S637's on the rig last week. Really good looking tire. Sold the Goodyears to a guy who was going to put on the back of his dually.

I guess that's one way to help for the additional cost of your TV. ๐Ÿ˜‰

How'd you know I bought a new television?
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Travlingman wrote:
My Goodyear's hit 6 years this year too. They looked fine but I didn't want to push it. Put some Sailun S637's on the rig last week. Really good looking tire. Sold the Goodyears to a guy who was going to put on the back of his dually.

I guess that's one way to help for the additional cost of your TV. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD