cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campspreading

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Today I experienced my first obvious example of "camp spreading" . . . where the people at a campsite keep expanding the space they occupy.

On the first day it was just a travel trailer, mom pop and kid with a couple of lawn chairs. Later in the day more adults and kids, a dog or two, more cars, more lawn chairs, and a canopy tent. Next, games like bean bag toss were set up.

On day two, the lawn chairs and games moved outward.

By the end of the day the bean bag toss game was about 100 feet away from the camp site and they were playing catch across sites. It was fun to watch.

Anyone with similar stories?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
42 REPLIES 42

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Typical inconsiderate ignorant people. Why I boondock 100% of the time. I dislike other humans near me.

I don't see where the OP stated the campsite they were playing over was occupied. I could easily argue that boondockers are just as ignorant by camping in undeveloped areas where they may disturb wildlife, run amok or start a forest fire by being negligent.

I have my space, you have yours, stay out of my space and my face.

I respectfully suggest the opposite. Sounds like you should just stay home.

I agree. Sounds to me like the campers were just having a good time and the campers watching were enjoying them.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
We had an odd thing happen last year on the July 4th weekend on Oregon Coast. Middle age Couple pulled in next to us in a really big site .with a long trailer pulled by an escalade and setup coolers full of booze, throwing games where our rig would be the backstop, chairs in a big circle, every sort of paraphernalia I've ever seen of patriotic Americana gadgetry- then started blasting patriotic mix tapes (ie Neil diamond - coming to America!!). This was all setup by 2pm. We thought they seem to be pros and are getting ready for a massive blow out gathering and we will not be sleeping tonight and may need to leave. We went for a walk and came back an hour later and everything was put away, music off, coolers under rig, chairs folded, games gone etc. They had retreated into their trailer not to be seen again. We left as scheduled next day and decided that was a bullet dodged and no more camping on the 4th weekend or first weekend in Canada.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I like having my 85-pound gushing mush labrador on a 100ft lead so he is certain to make it over to the next few sites near me. He gets to say "hello" to everyone, knock stuff over with his tail and lick all the plates on the picnic tables.

Then we set up Corn Hole from the far edge of our site to the other, drink beer and whip the bags far and wide, making sure they end up in the lap of other campers resting on their outdoor chairs.

Finally, we make sure our clothesline is attached to a tree inside our neighbors' site and let all our wet swimsuits and towels make a great colorful mural for them to see.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It all boils down to what each of us personally considers acceptable. I've been on this forum long enough to know that there are many people whose idea of acceptable is far different than mine. That said, I guess I've been guilty of intentional campsite spreading.

When the kids were young I would internationally look for sites around a curve where our group could reserve and effectively get a larger campsite. Like this picture below where we would grab sites 22,24,26 and had a huge campsite for the kids to play in or whatever. So yes we were spreading, but at the same time we intentionally spread where there was nobody between us.

I've been camping where people are setting up cornhole boards in the road between two non adjacent sites and I'm okay with that. To me as long as they aren't drunkenly yelling out F bombs every few minutes or cheering excessively loud it's just people having fun. But again that's just my comfort level.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at a rustic 'resort' campground for a family reunion. They lost our reservation. No problem, they had an open site around the corner they put us in. Fine by us.

Until we realized we were the space between two campsites that were the same group. Back & forth through our campsite constantly. When their dog did a job by my camper steps I packed everything up and got out of there. That's probably what they wanted anyway as I think they expected to get the third middle site for free.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trekkar wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
I've got a different version of camp spreading.
It was at a USFS campground. The people pulled into the site. Immediately, they got out a pole saw and started cutting branches off trees. Then they got out a weed wacker and started mowing down vegetation that wasn't tree sized. I'm not talking just grass, but vegetation that was waist to shoulder height. Probably doubled the open area of the camp site. This was a forested campground with lots of vegetation between sites (which we prefer so as not to be a big open area). Of course, there was a site and trailer for a campground host, but he/she was not there the entire time we stayed at the campground.

The camper must have been somewhat local, because he came back and started unloading firewood at his site and stacking it between trees. He probably had a full rick of wood stacked up before he was done. Fortunately, we were leaving the next day, so we didn't have to contend with whatever other modifications or actions he took on.

I had a very similar incident at a NFCG several weeks ago. Camper had yellow "crime scene" tape along the sides and front of the campsite. (no registration ticket on post) Tons of gear, but other than the tent, it was household stuff. I suspect he was living there.

We have a spot we go to on the east side of the Mt. Hood Wilderness in Oregon. The road to the campsite is actually listed as 'closed' on their maps, but it is clearly open and in use. About a 1/4 mile from our camp spot, is what we call the 'Cowboy Camp'. This is open range land and they will set up in the fall and corral all their cattle for shipping out. They certainly do campsite improvements to keep the brush down, bring in firewood, trim trees, etc. Even build his & hers outhouses.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just strike up a conversation about something uncomfortable and they will avoid your campsite like the plague.

Just channel your inner cousin Eddie. :B

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
A couple of years ago I was backpacking in the Sierras. Some clown walks right through our camp to get to the lake to pump some water. I was speechless. He came back the same way. I asked him "what are you doing walking through our camp?" He looked at me like a dog. "What do you mean?" he replied. I asked him to kindly walk around our camp next time. He said Okay like it was a brand new idea. People are not only inconsiderate, some of them are really stupid. Try to have patience with the dumb ones.

This!! A lot people simple don't know, especially if they are new at "camping" in defined campgrounds. In the past when camping with friends who were new at campgrounds, I would try to explain the usually "unspoken rules" of camping etiquette. They mostly just laughed at me being so uptight. Within a year of regular camping, they were complaining about things like people cutting through their campsite.

Try to be patient and polite. I always try to introduce myself to my camping neighbors anyways.

Also, think about creative barriers that are less obvious. Bicycles coincidentally parked along your campsite border. Your tow vehicle angled to make it difficult to walk through (especially under you awning... I've had that happen!).

If all else fails, just sit down with a cold one and laugh about it.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Crowe wrote:
Bad behavior by one doesn't justify bad behavior by another. While I do find some of the responses amusing and most likely harmless minding one's OWN manners should be paramount.

Thank you.
I have never seen a CG where the "property lines" where well enough defined to fight over it.

I don't know about "fight over it", but most campgrounds I've been to have pretty defined campsites. Private campgrounds will have a line of brush or bushes, trees, maybe rocks along the site border. State parks around me have concrete markers at the corners of the sites.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a CG where the "property lines" where well enough defined to fight over it.

Doesn't the site go from power pedestal to power pedestal?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Bad behavior by one doesn't justify bad behavior by another. While I do find some of the responses amusing and most likely harmless minding one's OWN manners should be paramount.

Thank you.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
i usually look for sites at the local parks where they would work for one camper pulled in and one backed in. That way awnings are facing each other and we have our own large space.

I've seen this on a number of occasions. Makes a lot of sense to do it this way. Units also serve as a sound barrier.

Instead of getting all ruffled feathers and resorting to juvenile behavior, why not just politely ask the offender to keep their stuff on their side? I've had to do this a few times and each time it's been met with "oh, I'm sorry-we'll move it" with no argument. If it continues then go to cg management and ask them to stop by and "remind" them. Bad behavior by one doesn't justify bad behavior by another. While I do find some of the responses amusing and most likely harmless minding one's OWN manners should be paramount.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
We do this on popular weekends. i usually look for sites at the local parks where they would work for one camper pulled in and one backed in. That way awnings are facing each other and we have our own large space. Never disrespectful and try to keep noise down. It works well with our big holiday weekend groups. If you want quiet secluded campsites i don't think state parks are where you want to be.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
My brother taught me to swear in Hungarian. A loud voice and some arm waving usually works.

I like the idea of speaking loudly in a Baltic sounding language and waving arms. That would be enough to keep me away.