cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing dinette with free-standing table & chairs

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
We're hitting the point of being pretty sure we want to replace the dinette in our TT... looking at a table and two chairs, for our needs.

The various RVs that we've seen that come with that option seem to have purpose-built furniture, that have flip-up seats for a (very small) bit of extra storage, and usually some sort of pull-out leaf on the table, sized more or less accordingly for the space/use.

Been browsing a few RV furniture sites... not finding much in the way of these type of items. I'm not even sure that it's really worth it to get the 'RV specific' stuff, TBH, other than some assurance that it'd fit in thru the door ๐Ÿ˜‰ Is there anything else of value about the RV style table/chairs vs. stuff we'd find at the local furniture store?

Also... how do most people secure these so they don't go bouncing around when (not if) you hit a pot hole?
8 REPLIES 8

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
We did this conversion on a previous 5th wheel. Table was solid mounted. We came across four folding cherry wood chairs in Walmart for under $25 each.

We did find the RV chairs online but as with most RV furniture they were overpriced.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My last 2 campers, both had stand alone, free standing table and 4 chairs. Both campers the table was screwed through the feet to the floor. In my previous camper, I turned the table 45 degrees to make better passage and removed 2 chairs. Eventually, the table and chairs came out completely when we got a true household, 3 seater, 2 recliner couch. That trailer came with hooks already on the floor to strap tie downs to so the chairs would not move. I added more and had them all over. They were so small, and because they were in carpet, you never noticed them at all.

They actually came in real handy on the hide-a-bed couch where that bottom drawer kept coming open when in transit.

My current camper has the same hooks for the chairs, and I've added a few more in different spots in the current camper too.

Buy the way, these are actually picture frame hooks. You won't find them in the hardware section at any Hardware Store or Wall Mart. But you'll find plenty where the picture frames are located. They are very, very strong, and take a very short screw.

Here's some photos of the Outback TT, 2 campers ago:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a table and chairs in our last 5th wheel, and had no issues with them moving around. They did sit on the carpet so that may have helped, but we've never strapped anything down and have had no issues. YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Our dining table doesn't bounce around, but it is on carpet and our fifth-wheel has shock absorbers.

To secure the chairs (and table), we turn the outside pair of them around so that their backs are tight against opposite sides of the table. A towel or light blanket is used to prevent wood from scratching against wood. A nylon strap running through the chair backs is pulled tight.

Normally, we see no movement after a day's travel.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our loose chairs do not bounce around but they are well built and when we travel they are wedged in toward the table.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two of the โ€œdiningโ€ tables.
Both were screwed to the floor with sheetrock screws.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Our table is built into the cabinet next to it so it is secure. Our chairs are secured together on either side of the table with a large velcro strap that runs thru a tie down loop under the table.
2010 Suncruiser

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
At one point I had the RV table and chair set up. As for the fold up storage in the seat. I guess it was OK nothing special as the area was not to deep. It would hold a few towels or the grandkids toys. I did not want to make the table stationary so I screwed a plumbing pipe clamp to the floor (you do not need much) and strapped the table that way. Never had a problem.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly