cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium batteries questions?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced their 2 12v 100 amp flooded batteries with just 1 100amp Lithium since the 2 flooded batteries should only drop down to 50 % or 100 amps? I was thinking of starting with just one Battle Born 100hr LiFePo as I have never had my existing batteries discharge more than 70 ahr or 65%. Also, Battle Born, Precision Circuits and Progressive Dynamics said I could use my existing PD4560 (non Lithium mode) converter charger for the time being. I would need to push the charge wizard to start the charging when on shoreline power oir generator. My 300 watts of solar with a controller with Lithium mode will handle a larger portion of the charging. Only issue I can see is the engine battery and alternator as they say it should be isolated permanently to prevent damage and over charging. But I think that's with the replacement converter charger that is Lithium dedicated only and continuall produces 14.6 volts with no absorption or float.
3 REPLIES 3

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
What about Trojan Trillium batteries. I think you can use them in with your alternator no problem
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Xantrex battery moinitor that I've used for over decade and it's fairly accurate. There is .2amp difference more in the meter than actually goes in or out. Same with voltage battery voltage and what the meter says. I didn't see any other way to know the state of lithium batteries without a monitor tracking consumption and charging.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I build and fly lithium polymer (Lipoly) powered model planes. I use a "balancing" type lipoly charger that monitors the voltage level of each battery cell though balancing connectors while charging and is designed not to overcharge the battery "pack". It shuts off and chimes when charging reaches a preset total pack voltage. Charging lipoly packs with a charger that does not balance charge each cell can damage the pack can shorten the life of a pack when cell voltages get un-balanced. Over discharging, pulling too much current, fully charging and not using the pack for some time, all can damage and shorten the useful life of Lipoly battery packs. I am not savvy about special care and feeding of large LiFe batteries but suspect that they require similar charging equipment and user precautions for long life and safety of users.

BTW, I use a wattmeter/ammeter to measure current draw from battery packs under load ( full throttle)to assure that I am not exceeding the safe rating of electronic speed controls and motors. Your post indicates that you are pretty savvy about Lithium systems but there is a lot of ever changing technology on these subjects.