cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help finding Roadside assistance & benefit plan for me

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have health issues and while I'm doing okay I know that in the back of my wife's mind is what would happen if I took ill while traveling. We travel with Chevy truck and 5th wheel.

I am looking for the best plan that would provide roadside assistance AND have my truck and 5th wheel returned to my home if I am not able to drive due to a medical condition. My wife will not and can not drive while towing the 5th wheel.

We are going to Disney this fall from Pennsylvania and have several trips planned this summer. I want to get something in place so if something were to happen there is a game plan in place and to minimize any worry for her.

Is there anyone that has actually used any programs benefit to return their RV to home? How did it work out and would you recommend them? Why or why not.

I want to make traveling enjoyable and I know that if I address this my wife will feel so much better.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
12 REPLIES 12

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Join FMCA. We had a friend who passed away in Arizona where we both wintered. His son talked to us on the phone saying he didnโ€™t know how he would get his dads motorhome back to Michigan. We knew that Dick belonged to FMCA and provided the son with that info. He was very thankful and they handled getting his motorhome and tow vehicle back home. I wouldnโ€™t be without FMCA.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Do you have no friends or relatives you could call on to drive the 5ver home if the situation arises?
What's the wife drive if you're in a hospital 500 miles from home if the truck just headed north with your trailer? And where would she stay?
I think there are more unanswered questions that roadside assistance can't be of assistance with.
You can google different RA companies and their plans. Pick what works for you.

I have family and friends BUT they cannot drive the 5th wheel home. If they could I wouldn't be looking for this service.

The wife is perfectly capable of driving the truck just cannot with 5th wheel hitched. She could stay in 5th wheel until I can fly home drive the truck back and forth to hospital and then fly home with me. There is absolutely no reason to send truck and 5th wheel home before me.

I know that there are things still that need to be resolved BUT I'm trying to be proactive in getting as many things addressed as possible beforehand.

I have googled the majority of companies that offer this service AND I ASKED for anyone that had used this service and how did it go.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Do you have no friends or relatives you could call on to drive the 5ver home if the situation arises?
What's the wife drive if you're in a hospital 500 miles from home if the truck just headed north with your trailer? And where would she stay?
I think there are more unanswered questions that roadside assistance can't be of assistance with.
You can google different RA companies and their plans. Pick what works for you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to FMCA last year. I have a medical condition too. You get their medical assist free with membership and their roadside assistance is very reasonable. Have not used any of it luckily.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
imgoin4it wrote:
Join the Family motor coach association , FMCA. A feature that will return you and your RV in the event of your death or becoming incapacitated is included in the membership fees. Check them out for all the details.

As well they have roadside assistance available for $74 a year!
The best deal out there..
2010 Suncruiser

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
As for roadside assistance you will hear a lot of con's but few pros for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I have had it for years and years have used it maybe a half dozen times. I have no complaints about it. They like all programs have limitations so just read what is and whats not covered.

I also have GS Travel Assist, I am glad I have not had to use it. It seems well priced, as long as you follow the correct steps. I know at GS Rally's "SkyMed" always has a booth. They may be someone to compare plans with.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
I have health issues and while I'm doing okay I know that in the back of my wife's mind is what would happen if I took ill while traveling. We travel with Chevy truck and 5th wheel.

I am looking for the best plan that would provide roadside assistance AND have my truck and 5th wheel returned to my home if I am not able to drive due to a medical condition. My wife will not and can not drive while towing the 5th wheel.

We are going to Disney this fall from Pennsylvania and have several trips planned this summer. I want to get something in place so if something were to happen there is a game plan in place and to minimize any worry for her.

Is there anyone that has actually used any programs benefit to return their RV to home? How did it work out and would you recommend them? Why or why not.

I want to make traveling enjoyable and I know that if I address this my wife will feel so much better.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Dave

Good Sam offers the Travel Assist program in addtion to the GS Road Side Assistance.Went into the hospital while RVing out of state. contacted GS who then contacted thte hospital and Doctors. They were very helpful.they were going to fly me home, send a professional driver to drive my truck and 5th wheel from Ariz. to Calif. Fortunately, I reovered and didn't need the services. Ask GS to send you a brochure to get all the information.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Join the Family motor coach association , FMCA. A feature that will return you and your RV in the event of your death or becoming incapacitated is included in the membership fees. Check them out for all the details.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no need to stress it. There are plenty of services to transport one or both your vehicles, and plenty of forums like this with helpful people.

Despite all the ignorance, dangers, and stupidity we hear about in the news and in casual conversations, the vast majority are good, and willing to help in a pinch. We saw a Prius lose all it's battery in Yellowstone, and many stopped to see how they could help the family.

I don't have direct answers like the others, but I suggest you be reasonably prepared, then be relaxed. It's not in our hands anyway.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes coach net has a good plan for you. I to worry about the same thing,what if?also if you ask for a little help on here, if your close to a member they,d help out. if your in the north east ohio area and need a hand let me know.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œMy wife will not and can not drive while towing the 5th wheel.โ€

Then IMO you have the wrong RV. What will she drive?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
May I suggest Coach Net We have this coverage for when we or a family member is on the road just in case of emergencies.

In addition they offer Assist America at no extra cost which will return your vehicle home should you become unable to drive.
I do have this coverage should an emergency arise but thankfully I have not had a need to use it, it does give me peace of mind. ๐Ÿ™‚
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU