cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hermosa, SD to Cody WY

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading quite a few of the posts about 16, Alt 16, 14, Alt 14 and I have to admit I am still a little confused regarding which is the easiest way to go with a big rig. Not afraid of some mountain driving but don't want to be that annoying person driving a big motor home on a road they have no business being on.

From what I have read, I THINK I should get off I-90 at Buffalo, WY and take Hwy 16 to Worland, WY, then pick up US 20 north to Greybull, then US 14 west to Cody. Does that sound right or any other recommendations?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
11 REPLIES 11

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
GTO66 wrote:
You went the easiest route if that was uncomfortable be glad you didn't go over the bighorns farther north.

I should have explained what I meant by uncomfortable better; the scenery was beautiful and I was not concerned with the road itself. I was uncomfortable with how slowly we were going and holding other folks up. There were hills that we got down to 30 mph and a few of the pull-offs weren't large enough to hold us. Plus going down hill we stayed in lower gear so had to go slowly then too.
Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
You went the easiest route if that was uncomfortable be glad you didn't go over the bighorns farther north.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Original Poster here - we drove over to Greybull, WY today from Hermosa, SD; going into Cody tomorrow. It wasn't a horrible drive but if we go that route again, I would disconnect the truck and drive separately from Buffalo to Tensleep. We are under our total weight but still with the Harley trike in the bed of the truck it was uncomfortable driving connected.

Just missed you. We did Buffalo to Cody yesterday. What a beautiful drive on 16. Good roads too. Thanks for this thread.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Original Poster here - we drove over to Greybull, WY today from Hermosa, SD; going into Cody tomorrow. It wasn't a horrible drive but if we go that route again, I would disconnect the truck and drive separately from Buffalo to Tensleep. We are under our total weight but still with the Harley trike in the bed of the truck it was uncomfortable driving connected.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again Horsedoc. We have been riding through Custer SP and the surrounding area on the Harley for the last two weeks. It is definitely beautiful.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have gone from Hermosa through Custer SP and the town of Custer, caught US 16 there, thru Newcastle to Moorcroft to Gillette and then to Buffalo and over the Big Horns on 16 to Cody. Took longer, but the ride was interesting.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
I have been reading quite a few of the posts about 16, Alt 16, 14, Alt 14 and I have to admit I am still a little confused regarding which is the easiest way to go with a big rig. Not afraid of some mountain driving but don't want to be that annoying person driving a big motor home on a road they have no business being on.

From what I have read, I THINK I should get off I-90 at Buffalo, WY and take Hwy 16 to Worland, WY, then pick up US 20 north to Greybull, then US 14 west to Cody. Does that sound right or any other recommendations?

That is the best route. There are several large pullouts so you can let people pass, don't be afraid to use them.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for this thread...doing this route in 2 days.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you miss the Bighorn Mountains what is the point of making that trip in the first place?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have traveled all of the routes that you listed. The easiest would be to to take 16 and go through Worland. All of the roads are very scenic The most difficult would be to go through the middle of the Bighorns on 14A. It is beautiful, but for some people a little too much STEEP and TWISTED.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
That is the easiest and the way I would and have gone in the past.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams