Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hermosa, SD to Cody WY
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hermosa, SD to Cody WY

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading quite a few of the posts about 16, Alt 16, 14, Alt 14 and I have to admit I am still a little confused regarding which is the easiest way to go with a big rig. Not afraid of some mountain driving but don't want to be that annoying person driving a big motor home on a road they have no business being on.

From what I have read, I THINK I should get off I-90 at Buffalo, WY and take Hwy 16 to Worland, WY, then pick up US 20 north to Greybull, then US 14 west to Cody. Does that sound right or any other recommendations?

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the easiest and the way I would and have gone in the past.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled all of the routes that you listed. The easiest would be to to take 16 and go through Worland. All of the roads are very scenic The most difficult would be to go through the middle of the Bighorns on 14A. It is beautiful, but for some people a little too much STEEP and TWISTED.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you miss the Bighorn Mountains what is the point of making that trip in the first place?

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for this thread...doing this route in 2 days.

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

I have been reading quite a few of the posts about 16, Alt 16, 14, Alt 14 and I have to admit I am still a little confused regarding which is the easiest way to go with a big rig. Not afraid of some mountain driving but don't want to be that annoying person driving a big motor home on a road they have no business being on.

From what I have read, I THINK I should get off I-90 at Buffalo, WY and take Hwy 16 to Worland, WY, then pick up US 20 north to Greybull, then US 14 west to Cody. Does that sound right or any other recommendations?

That is the best route. There are several large pullouts so you can let people pass, don't be afraid to use them.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have gone from Hermosa through Custer SP and the town of Custer, caught US 16 there, thru Newcastle to Moorcroft to Gillette and then to Buffalo and over the Big Horns on 16 to Cody. Took longer, but the ride was interesting.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again Horsedoc. We have been riding through Custer SP and the surrounding area on the Harley for the last two weeks. It is definitely beautiful.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Original Poster here - we drove over to Greybull, WY today from Hermosa, SD; going into Cody tomorrow. It wasn't a horrible drive but if we go that route again, I would disconnect the truck and drive separately from Buffalo to Tensleep. We are under our total weight but still with the Harley trike in the bed of the truck it was uncomfortable driving connected.

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

Original Poster here - we drove over to Greybull, WY today from Hermosa, SD; going into Cody tomorrow. It wasn't a horrible drive but if we go that route again, I would disconnect the truck and drive separately from Buffalo to Tensleep. We are under our total weight but still with the Harley trike in the bed of the truck it was uncomfortable driving connected.

Just missed you. We did Buffalo to Cody yesterday. What a beautiful drive on 16. Good roads too. Thanks for this thread.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hermosa, SD to Cody WY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS