Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dehumidifier ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dehumidifier ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Striker57

Tn

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Guys

First off Hello!!! Hoping to gain some useful solid info on here. My wife and I bought a Forrest River Wolf Pup, really enjoying it so far. This past week we were out and running the A/C pretty constant. We notice a dampness in the air.., not horrible but noticeable. We were thing about picking up a small dehumidifier. The camper box is only 18 feet... Any suggestions?

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AC should be dehumidifying the air adequately most of the time. Adding a dehumidifier will help.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I have the same problem with my camper.

The factory spec is a 8000 btu side wall AC for my small cabin size. But my unit has an upgraded 13500 btu unit. So unless it's VERY HOT outside, it quickly cools the cabin before it can dehumidify it.

Two fixes I've found.

1. Compressor dehumidifier, I bought a 90 pint Frigidaire unit. Works great and fast.

OR

2. Small space heater set on medium. Keeps the air warm a bit longer so the AC can draw off the moisture.

If I'm on generator I'll run the dehumidifier it works better and faster, and takes less power.

If camping with included electric, I'll run the heater.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I use a heater which allows the air conditioner to run without the air becoming clammy and damp.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An Air/Con by default dehumidifies.

So if the Air/Con is running "pretty constant" something is not right if it's still humid inside.

Where you would run into a problem is if the Air/Con is over sized and only runs for short periods of time to cool down but not enough time to pull a lot of moisture out of the air.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something is not right here; An aircon is supposed to pull the humidity
out of the air. Dry air at the same temp feels a lot more comfortable.

To the OP, when your AC is on, does water drip out of the unit? It should as
the AC is pulling water out of the air. If not then you may have a problem -
plugged?

I think, Installing a dehumidifier is only masking the real problem.

All the AC in our campers have dried out the air.

Gerry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the ambient humidity and outside temperature. It is entirely possible to have a situation where the air in the rv is uncomfortably wet. The solution is to add some heat which basically turns the roof air into a huge dehumidifier.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

It depends on the ambient humidity and outside temperature. It is entirely possible to have a situation where the air in the rv is uncomfortably wet. The solution is to add some heat which basically turns the roof air into a huge dehumidifier.

If you have an oversized air/con, there is some truth to your idea as it will force the air/con to run longer to remove the heat you are adding which by default will provide more moisture removal.

But the OP said the air/con runs "pretty constant" which to me suggests it shouldn't need the heater trick to get the dehumidifying effect as it's already running enough to pull the humidity out of the air.

Which leads to the question...what is really happening?

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

If you have an oversized air/con, there is some truth to your idea as it will force the air/con to run longer to remove the heat you are adding which by default will provide more moisture removal.

But the OP said the air/con runs "pretty constant" which to me suggests it shouldn't need the heater trick to get the dehumidifying effect as it's already running enough to pull the humidity out of the air.

Which leads to the question...what is really happening?

given the size of the trailer the OP mentioned, I wonder if the AC fan is running but the AC compressor is cycling, which can be the case depending on how the thermostat and AC are set up.

If that is the case, a compressor driven dehumidifier may be the solution.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of us carry an electric heater. The OP, so long as voltage is monitored, can try the heater. I suspect it will work wonderfully.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dehumidifier ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS