cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

clay bar and wax

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to detail the rig. How do the exterior of the RV's do with a clay bar, is it ok or too abrasive?. Also is there a certain type of wax to use? It is a fiberglass sidewall, Not azdel (however you spell it). Any other recommendations on detailing and RV?
10 REPLIES 10

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve tried the Lucas version of the spray wax on the filon cap of the camper. Looked good wet, not so much dry. Havenโ€™t tried it on the car or truck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I've been hearing about the Turtle Wax Seal N Shine spray on wax. I was skeptical at first, but I've been researching and it appears legit. Wash, dry, spray on and wipe off. No buffing. Supposed to last 4 months.

I too had been hearing lots of good reviews of the Ice Seal N Shine. I had to do brakes on one of our cars so picked up a set of pads and also a bottle of Turtle Wax. Our daughter just bought a new to her Nissan Xterra. It's a 2001, so 18 years old. After she brought it home I washed it and used the Turtle Wax.

Wow, what a difference it made. The Xterra had been well taken care of, but with a 10 minute spray on, wipe off application of the Turtle Wax, it looked fantastic.

Our TT has tin siding. I've been reluctant to use the Turtle Wax because it isn't a car, but I plan to try on a small section between slides (not easily seen).

The application is so easy. I washed the truck with Megiuars Ultimate Wash and Wax. Then I dried it off. Sprayed the Turtle Wax on one section of the truck at a time and wiped it off. It looks beautiful. When our daughter showed it off to my parents, they both thought she bought a new car. They couldn't believe it was 18 years old. It's the best $10 I have spent for any car care item.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
Rover_Bill wrote:
For normal waxing, I recommend Meguiar's No. 50 Cleaner Wax. This is a simple one step wax that will clean off light oxidation and minor scratches and protect and shine the GEL COAT.

When did Filon start having a Gel Coat finish to it?

Filon product literature wrote:
Available for about 30 years, Filon was the first fiberglass product offering for the RV market.

Filon product literature wrote:
The Filon G-III gelcoated panel is a durable, semi-rigid fiberglass reinforced polyester (frp) resin material. The gelcoated surface is highly scratch and abrasion resistant with excellent weathering characteristics

See HERE
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
This: For normal waxing, I recommend Meguiar's No. 50 Cleaner Wax. This is a simple one step wax that will clean off light oxidation and minor scratches and protect and shine the GEL COAT. For heavier oxidation and stains, Meguiar's No. 44 Color Restorer followed by the cleaner wax.

Had the TT for 10 years, looked like new when I sold it after regularly using Meguiar's products.
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
For normal waxing, I recommend Meguiar's No. 50 Cleaner Wax. This is a simple one step wax that will clean off light oxidation and minor scratches and protect and shine the GEL COAT.

When did Filon start having a Gel Coat finish to it?
Bob

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been hearing about the Turtle Wax Seal N Shine spray on wax. I was skeptical at first, but I've been researching and it appears legit. Wash, dry, spray on and wipe off. No buffing. Supposed to last 4 months.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
When you use a clay bar make sure the surface is wet,use alot of water.never use a clay bar on a dry surface.
As for polish I recommend Duragloss marine Rv polish #501
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the clay bar on your TV and NOT on your RV.

Don't use automotive products on fiberglass! Automotive products are designed to work on PAINTED metal surfaces that have been covered by a protective HARD CLEAR COAT finish. Fiberglass is a soft colored plastic that is usually covered by a clear GEL COAT for protection and shine. Marine/RV products are specifically designed for GEL coat surfaces.

For normal waxing, I recommend Meguiar's No. 50 Cleaner Wax. This is a simple one step wax that will clean off light oxidation and minor scratches and protect and shine the GEL COAT. For heavier oxidation and stains, Meguiar's No. 44 Color Restorer followed by the cleaner wax.

For a really dull surface, Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration System (a three bottle kit) contains a bottle of heavy duty oxidation remover, a bottle of high gloss polish, and a bottle of pure Carnauba blend wax.

This LINK describes other specific Marine/RV products from Meguiar's.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A clay bar is not abrasive. It's smooth and will remove any abrasives adhered to the sides. So once you clay bar it (a lot of work but definitely worth it!). Then use any good quality automotive wax. You will be amazed at how well it looks. My 07 I traded in still looked shinier than when it was new.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Meguiar's

I've always used either Mother's or Meguiar's Carnuba wax...same as for the car for the last 5 years and looks good as new. I do have the advantage of it being a pop-up and covered most of the time.

That being said, I have had really good luck with it on our cars. Wife gets the garage, I get the driveway. I usually tried to buy white vehicles because they generally hold up better to the Texas sun, but current truck is gray, so hoping it will keep it looking good for many years
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation