cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Propane while traveling in BC - Not Legal

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out that it is illegal to use propane to cool the fridge in your travel trailer in BC. you can only use LP while at a campsite, you can not use it while traveling. Bummer, yet the RV vendor did not seem to be aware of this.

Here is the link to the ICBC site for information on travel trailers,

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Towing-a-Recreational-Trailer.aspx

Thankfully Alberta's rules for travel trailers do not indicate any restrictions on using propane. I will be traveling to Jasper and Banff this Summer.
23 REPLIES 23

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I'm going to pull up a stump at the campfire here...

Don't forget the popcorn.
Bob

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will just ignore that rule/law and take my chances.
2014 Allegro 36LA

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see in the booklet where it actually said it was against the law, or cited an actual law or code. As a bit of trivia, BC is one of the few places I'm aware of where you can find a gas station that has LP to refuel your lp powered vehicle.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Those aren’t laws, ordinances, or regulations. Those are an insurance company’s attempt to reduce their risk exposure to zero. Insurance companies always want you to not do things that might result in a claim payout. Even if they say it’s about protecting children, kittens and puppies, it’s really about money.

Ask ICBC what their thoughts are on skydiving.

:):)

Good point, I have sent ICBC an e-mail asking for more information pertaining to the use of propane while towing a travel trailer. Once I have received a response I will post it on this site for all to reference.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I did find and I have seen and complied with shutting off my propane before loading on a BC Ferry, none of the signage at ferry terminals mentions that it is unlawful to have the tanks open while driving.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
First off it is simple to provide a link rather than just cut and paste the URL. The tab for including a link is the 10th tab from the left in Post a Reply. It's courtesy to use the link tab.

Second the booklet you reference is labeled a Guide.

Third, I thought that regulations come under the title of Hazardous Cargo.

Finally, the guide you mentioned and everything I have read on line is totally devoid of saying that ICBC is really a government agency, it is a non-profit insurance company that is regulated by the BC Government. Nowhere can I find any proof that it has the ability to enact laws. It is not the only insurance company that operates in BC. The BC government does require all vehicles licensed in BC to have ICBC BASIC INSURANCE but several other companies offer things like comprehensive insurance.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, then post a link to the corresponding regulation where it’s been codified. There should be a number associated with it. That’s what a provincial law enforcement officer would write on the citation if he were to cite you for illegally operating a recreational vehicle with the propane tank valves open.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Those aren’t laws, ordinances, or regulations. Those are an insurance company’s attempt to reduce their risk exposure to zero. Insurance companies always want you to not do things that might result in a claim payout. Even if they say it’s about protecting children, kittens and puppies, it’s really about money.

Unfortunately this is a Provincial regulation, and hence a law in BC. ICBC is a Crown Corporation and is the insurer and roisterer for all vehicles registered in BC. I am sure most out of Province/State drivers are most likely unaware of this regulation. However, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse not to comply with it. In reality most drivers would never be ticketed unless there was an accident, or possibly you were stopped in a police roadblock for random vehicle checks. Thankfully Alberta does not have the same regulation so I will do most of my traveling in Alberta, which is fairly close to me. In Alberta gas is far more cheaper than BC which is a major expense when towing a travel trailer.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see a safety brochure on recommended practices.
I don't see a government vehicle code requirement.

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
fly-swatter wrote:
I've only ever shut off my propane when travelling in BC just before going on the ferry to Vancouver Island. All propane bottles must be closed and tagged before boarding, never heard of a rule regarding use while on the road.

As I mentioned, even the RV sales person I dealt with was unaware of that regulation. I can see it is important to check each province/states regulations as to travel trailers.

Here is the link to the BC regulations as posted by ICBC, the BC Crown Corporation which covers all vehicle insurance for BC vehicles.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Towing-a-Recreational-Trailer.aspx

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Don wrote:

So, if your propane is left on in your travel trailer wheel you are driving your insurance coverage will be compromised.

This restriction is only for travel trailers, not sure about RV's.

This pamphlet from an insurance company carries NO force of law.....and is no different than the RECOMMENDATION made by likely every insurance company and RV manufacturer in the world.

BUT IT IS ONLY A RECOMMENDATION.
Your twisting that into a legal requirement just wastes our time.....and yours too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Please Don't Feed the Trolls!

I did add the link to my posting, did you check the link?

I do not know what other provinces have the same restriction on the use of propane. I did check Alberta's web page for travel trailers and thankfully they do not mention the same restrictions as ICBC indicates for travel trailers using BC roads.

Trailer_Don
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Can you point us to the source of your information? If it were the case commercial 'reefers' would be in violation. I leave ours on to run the fridge and hot water tank then switch to shore power at night to conserve gas.

This is the link to the ICBC information.

So, if your propane is left on in your travel trailer wheel you are driving your ICBC insurance coverage will be compromised. It you from out of province then you are not following the ICBC regulations and could be ticketed.

This restriction is only for travel trailers, not sure about RV's.