Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Using Propane while traveling in BC - Not Legal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Using Propane while traveling in BC - Not Legal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Trailer Don

Terrace BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

Can you point us to the source of your information? If it were the case commercial 'reefers' would be in violation. I leave ours on to run the fridge and hot water tank then switch to shore power at night to conserve gas.

This is the link to the ICBC information.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Towing-a-Recreational-Trailer.aspx

So, if your propane is left on in your travel trailer wheel you are driving your ICBC insurance coverage will be compromised. It you from out of province then you are not following the ICBC regulations and could be ticketed.

This restriction is only for travel trailers, not sure about RV's.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 02:33pm by Trailer Don *

Trailer Don

Terrace BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

Please Don't Feed the Trolls!

I did add the link to my posting, did you check the link?

I do not know what other provinces have the same restriction on the use of propane. I did check Alberta's web page for travel trailers and thankfully they do not mention the same restrictions as ICBC indicates for travel trailers using BC roads.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 02:39pm by Trailer Don *

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Don wrote:

So, if your propane is left on in your travel trailer wheel you are driving your insurance coverage will be compromised.

This restriction is only for travel trailers, not sure about RV's.

This pamphlet from an insurance company carries NO force of law.....and is no different than the RECOMMENDATION made by likely every insurance company and RV manufacturer in the world.

BUT IT IS ONLY A RECOMMENDATION.
Your twisting that into a legal requirement just wastes our time.....and yours too.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Trailer Don

Terrace BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fly-swatter wrote:

I've only ever shut off my propane when travelling in BC just before going on the ferry to Vancouver Island. All propane bottles must be closed and tagged before boarding, never heard of a rule regarding use while on the road.

As I mentioned, even the RV sales person I dealt with was unaware of that regulation. I can see it is important to check each province/states regulations as to travel trailers.

Here is the link to the BC regulations as posted by ICBC, the BC Crown Corporation which covers all vehicle insurance for BC vehicles.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/driving-guides/Pages/Towing-a-Recreational-Trailer.aspx

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a safety brochure on recommended practices.
I don't see a government vehicle code requirement.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those aren’t laws, ordinances, or regulations. Those are an insurance company’s attempt to reduce their risk exposure to zero. Insurance companies always want you to not do things that might result in a claim payout. Even if they say it’s about protecting children, kittens and puppies, it’s really about money.

Ask ICBC what their thoughts are on skydiving.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Trailer Don

Terrace BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Those aren’t laws, ordinances, or regulations. Those are an insurance company’s attempt to reduce their risk exposure to zero. Insurance companies always want you to not do things that might result in a claim payout. Even if they say it’s about protecting children, kittens and puppies, it’s really about money.

Ask ICBC what their thoughts are on skydiving.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Unfortunately this is a Provincial regulation, and hence a law in BC. ICBC is a Crown Corporation and is the insurer and roisterer for all vehicles registered in BC. I am sure most out of Province/State drivers are most likely unaware of this regulation. However, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse not to comply with it. In reality most drivers would never be ticketed unless there was an accident, or possibly you were stopped in a police roadblock for random vehicle checks. Thankfully Alberta does not have the same regulation so I will do most of my traveling in Alberta, which is fairly close to me. In Alberta gas is far more cheaper than BC which is a major expense when towing a travel trailer.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, then post a link to the corresponding regulation where it’s been codified. There should be a number associated with it. That’s what a provincial law enforcement officer would write on the citation if he were to cite you for illegally operating a recreational vehicle with the propane tank valves open.

[emoticon][emoticon]

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off it is simple to provide a link rather than just cut and paste the URL. The tab for including a link is the 10th tab from the left in Post a Reply. It's courtesy to use the link tab.

Second the booklet you reference is labeled a Guide.

Third, I thought that regulations come under the title of Hazardous Cargo.

Finally, the guide you mentioned and everything I have read on line is totally devoid of saying that ICBC is really a government agency, it is a non-profit insurance company that is regulated by the BC Government. Nowhere can I find any proof that it has the ability to enact laws. It is not the only insurance company that operates in BC. The BC government does require all vehicles licensed in BC to have ICBC BASIC INSURANCE but several other companies offer things like comprehensive insurance.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 04:59pm by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did find and I have seen and complied with shutting off my propane before loading on a BC Ferry, none of the signage at ferry terminals mentions that it is unlawful to have the tanks open while driving.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Using Propane while traveling in BC - Not Legal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS