cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic roof top ac unit

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Can the roof tops ac unit by Dometic be recharged ?we have a 2014 sport coach. Back ac is ice cold front unit at same temp is cool but not cold.
Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Most any air cond can be repaired but unless you are an A/C
repair man or a died in the wool handy man ( DIY guy ) you are
better off to replace it and go have fun .
Paying a repair man is going to be a money losing route most
of the time if you can even find one that will work on it .
Save yourself some grief , who wants to be miles & miles from
home and no A/C ? Not me

Ray

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my unit up front replaced. Tech said they don't have a port to add freon and that braising/soldering in a port requires torch within inches of foam insulation. He said he wouldn't take the risk of fire for any amount of money. It took him less than an hour to replace unit and I found several a dealers within a hundred miles (and I am in the middle of RV nowhere land -- only one dealer within 50 miles and most are 70-80 in opposite directions)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
HERE is my attempt at fixing them.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
BUB1988 wrote:
The cost of repairing could be as expensive as replacing with a new one. We replaced both roof A/C's with 15K units for $1200 including new thermostats.

Two 15k units and thermostats installed for $1,200.00
Thatโ€™s the deal of the century.
2015 Wrangler JKU

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
One motor I had was squealing and I sprayed some wd40 or similar on the motor bearings. It had set for a while and this got it going. Another time on another AC the motor wouldnโ€™t spin. Had an AC guy look at it and he replaced some bushings on the motor mounts. They had let the motor settle down and it wouldnโ€™t spin. If I remember correctly the bushings were about $10. Plus the service call of course. If you could get the fan to run long enough you could tell if it is getting cold, especially with top cover off you could see if lines are getting cold or not
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Well I cleaned the condenser last weekend and used it this past weekend and now the motor is seizing up. I can replace motor pretty easy but donโ€™t know if that was my problem all along or if I still have a Freon issue

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
My rear AC quit blowing cold about 7-8 years ago. I called a mobile tech who checked it and said the Freon leaked out. I had him put a port on it. He charged me about $5 for the part and the service call. I put a little pressure in and found the leak. A hole was rubbed through a line. My buddy brazed it up. I pressure checked it again, pulled vacuum and charged. Worked great for a few years. Quit again but couldnโ€™t find a leak this time. I bought a can of stop leak for R-22 and put it in, after pulling vacuum, and recharged again. Knock on wood it has been working since. Been about 5-6 years now.

Not saying this will work for every problem but I spent a little time and a few dollars and so far so good. My front a/c is on the third unit. First one lost Freon about a year after I bought it. Was replaced under warranty. Lasted about a year and it leaked out. I replaced that one so when my rear unit went out, I just figured I would try to fix it and see if it would work.
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Junk it and buy new, you won't regret it. Installation is easy.

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of repairing could be as expensive as replacing with a new one. We replaced both roof A/C's with 15K units for $1200 including new thermostats.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought is to make sure that your freeze-control thermistor is in place and working properly. If not, the unit's coils will freeze up and it will not cool or move air until it defrosts. My front 15K unit started freezing up and not blowing cold air. Turns out, after removing the cover up top, the thermistor had fallen off the coil tube and allowed the coils to freeze up.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, they can. BUT it takes specialized equipment. NOT worth the time and expense so you just replace the upper unit. Before condemning the AC have it checked by a professional. Rear AC's on motorhomes will always get colder output. The rear AC has to turn over a smaller volume of air than the front AC. Always Post Year/ Brand of RV and Brand and Model of Appliance to get better help. Doug

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just did both of mine but ended up changing them Here
2015 Wrangler JKU

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
no,not without more work than its worth there are no charge ports on these units.BUT it could be a bad capasitor or some thing simple .