cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new water heater question

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 23 year old suburban water and the tank has started leaking. It is 110v and propane. My electronics and gas apart work great even though it is old. Can I buy just the tank or do I have to by both elec and propane parts also?
Terry Witt
13 REPLIES 13

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin,

I'm guessing that what houstonstroker might be getting at is that it might be the Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve which might be leaking, but presenting as if it's a leak in the tank itself. Or possibly one of the other fittings on the tank. Just guessing. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
houstonstroker wrote:
Can you tell where the leak is coming from?
Coulda swore he said from the tank. Where on the tank ?? Like that mite make a difference ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
tewitt1949 wrote:
Thanks all, I agree it old and get new. Cost isn't and issue. The gas part has worked flawlessly. Since its passed the test of time, that part must be a good one. To be honest, many older things were made better than some new designed things.

I'll just order a new one. Amazon has replacements, with next day delivery.

Well, if it was me, I would also feel like the parts that ARE working are probably much better than what you're likely going to buy today, at least from a longevity perspective. But seeing as options are limited, I'd buy the complete replacement and install it. Then, in my spare time, I'd see if there was any way to repair/replace the original tank in a reasonable and economical manner. If so, I'd probably do it and then keep the entire assembly as a spare.

Two things are nearly certain: If you have a spare, you will not need it, and you'll never have to deal with this issue again. If you don't have a spare, your new water heater assembly will peter out right after the warranty is over. LOL

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is atwood. but YES. I just replaced the tank not the rest of it.

Now on my Atwood the tank came with new mounting hardware and a new element and relay I swapped the element (Since I had it out) with a 1500 Watt 240 volt (375 watts at 120 volt) element so that it heats slower. but trips the park? 30 amp breakers less often when I am on 30 amps. (Very nice when it is raining out).

Works great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tell where the leak is coming from?
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all, I agree it old and get new. Cost isn't and issue. The gas part has worked flawlessly. Since its passed the test of time, that part must be a good one. To be honest, many older things were made better than some new designed things.

I'll just order a new one. Amazon has replacements, with next day delivery.
Terry Witt

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
Don't really understand what you are asking... water heater comes with both electric and propane systems included. Use your existing electric hookup, the included 12v will take care of the propane.

What can't you understand? His tank is leaking, but the gas and electric part of the water heater works. He asked can he just buy a new tank instead of a whoe new water heater. Seems simple to me.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
NO.......can't replace tank on Suburban

23 yrs old.....time for a NEW whole complete water heater
IF old one is a 6 gal----new Suburban gas/electric 6 gal will fit opening
If old one is a 10 gal---new Suburban gas/electric 10 gal will fit opening

Swapping 6 for 10 would require changing opening
Swapping Suburban for Atwood....changing opening

But it's time for new one. You got 23 yrs out of the old one.

+1 on that one - put some gravy on it and call it a day!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO.......can't replace tank on Suburban

23 yrs old.....time for a NEW whole complete water heater
IF old one is a 6 gal----new Suburban gas/electric 6 gal will fit opening
If old one is a 10 gal---new Suburban gas/electric 10 gal will fit opening

Swapping 6 for 10 would require changing opening
Swapping Suburban for Atwood....changing opening

But it's time for new one. You got 23 yrs out of the old one.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not worth trying to replace tank on either Suburban or Atwood, if available.
Newer water heaters are more efficient. New assembly requires about the same effort to replace as tank alone.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban doesnโ€™t sell a replacement tank, so you will have to buy all new, including door ๐Ÿ˜ž
-- Chris Bryant

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really understand what you are asking... water heater comes with both electric and propane systems included. Use your existing electric hookup, the included 12v will take care of the propane.