cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

going from Class A to TT or Fifth wheel

95impala
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of moving from Class A to either a fifth wheel or a Tow behind. We currently have a 34 ft and Toad we travel with. Would be very interested in comments and advice as to what to look for.
14 REPLIES 14

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
95impala wrote:
We are thinking of moving from Class A to either a fifth wheel or a Tow behind. We currently have a 34 ft and Toad we travel with. Would be very interested in comments and advice as to what to look for.
Everyone has a different reason for down sizing but I am also looking to go from a 34 ft gas Class A to a small 24-27 ft 5 th wheel. I think a Class A is hard to beat for set up and hwy driving, storage and FW. But having been stuck out west twice and having a hard time finding a shop to work on it drove me to looking for a smaller MH like a 24 Ft class C and then to a small 5th wheel. I have been looking at the Allen camper 212RLS and similar that have a GVWR of 7600lbs, a ccc of 2100lbs and two opposing slides 25 ft long. The only down side is only 32 gals of FW. But something like this can be towed with any SRW truck even the new F150 HD model from Ford. I just don't understand the tow hitch yet or how easy it it to set up and level, but like the idea of using a truck as a second vehicle when not towing. The Class A just sits on the side of my house 90% of the time, so that is another trade off.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have two of the kids share one of the double bunks.

Jackknife sofa is ok but that means we have to set up and break down the linens each time we arrive and depart. Plus those sofas are not comfortable to sleep on.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Bruce_Brown
Why would you need triple bunks? 2 kids in the bunks, one on a jack knife bed, pull out couch, or an air mattress on the floor.

Problem solved.

Does your current TT have triple bunks?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Drsign Reflection 28bh with the bunk beds, towed by a 2017 F450. The combination is spectacular. Towing is easy since the truck is massive overkill for the trailer. I motor pass most semis and Class A MHs on those long 8% grades uphill and outbrake them on the way down.

Our biggest issue are:
1) not having a washer dryer
2) master bedroom is very tight on either side of the bed
3) setting up and breaking down is kind of a pain although weโ€™ve got a good routine going now with me doing most of the work lol.

Weโ€™ve thought about buying a used class A on occasion. But we have triplet 7 yr old boys so weโ€™d have to have a custom built triple bunk inserted somewhere. I know units like the Fleetwood Discovery 40g have a bunk room. We would still need to rip out the two beds and drawers and build a triple bunk submarine style.

On some of the class Aโ€™s it looks like I may be able to remove a couple of easy chairs up front or a jackknife sofa and out in some bunks there. But itโ€™s a lot of work and expense.

Iโ€™d have to get rid of the trailer and truck, and then look for a used class A. Of course Iโ€™d love to have one of the older tag axle Spartan chassis coaches with the big motors. But even a nicer used Monaco of that type is $150k. And then Iโ€™d need a a toad to shuttle everyone around in after we get to the camp site. A nicely set up Wrangler is $50k easy. So weโ€™re talking over $200k.

I own our current setup with no debt so itโ€™s tough to turn around and blow that kind of money.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
rsqquy, We have had a gas MH for 3 years and the only maintenance we have done are oil changes and a front end alignment. We have added things, but they aren't maintenance.

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
The comfort of a class A is hard to beat. I'm looking to switch to a TT for financial reasons. The depreciation and maintenance on the DP is bad. Two things fail before I can fix even one thing. My class A is worth half what I paid for it. With a towable a 50% depreciation isn't as painful since you start with a lower number to begin with.
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Went from a TT to a class A this year. After 15 years of trailering I wish I wouldโ€™ve went Class A years ago. Easier to travel, setup and level. I would never go back to a trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hewebb
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled with a 34' TT for 9 years. I ended up pulling with a 3/4 ton diesel PU. Lots of highways produce rough ride that is hard on the neck and back + leveling was a pain. Decided to quit RV'ing. Then changed mind and bought an older 40' diesel pusher. Absolutely enjoy RV'ing again. Currently on a 4 month, 6000 mile trip through the north west. Driving is so much better and the added length allow us to have a washer & dryer that the wife just loves.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a fiver to a dp class a and after a few years went back to a fiver. You asked what to look for but that is more of a personal choice. We went to a 40 foot fiver with res frig, large kitchen and much more room than a motor home offers. I would make sure the fiver you look for has the auto leveling system with the auto reconnect and 6 point system if applicable, washer dryer, and whatever else you want/need. With that being said make sure your tow vehicle is capable of pulling what you like BEFORE you buy.

Again it is a personal choice but at least go apples to apples when you trade as far as amenities.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A couple years ago we went the other way, 5th wheel to Class A. Have not regretted one bit. The 5er was a large 35' had a 1 ton dully to pull it with. The truck road like a truck the wife was never happy with the ride. Even though I had the 5er for years sometimes the backing got to be a challenge I am glad that part is over. From me the trade to Class A was happy wife happy life.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
With the same bells and whistles, it will take about the same amount of time and effort to set up. Now if you compare a loaded DP to a bare bones TT, sure it will seem spartan and more effort but that's not comparing apples to apples.

Particularly for a 5th wheel, driving is very comfortable...and even a properly set up TT isn't difficult.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
What truck will you be using to pull a trailer?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bruce_Brown
In the pure traveling sense until recently we owned both our MH and a 33' TT. The TT was well set up and I pulled it with a '16 Super Duty diesel, 4 door long box, Lariat Ultimate package - the point being it's a nice truck and the right tool for the job.

With that said, I would rather drive the MH cross country than I would pull the TT across town. I just find pulling anything adds a level of stress not seen driving the MH. The one (*) I'd say is pulling the toad doesn't add much, if any, stress. The MH is big enough the toad is like it isn't even there.

Put another way, the TT is gone, the MH stayed.

As always, do whats best for you.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We moved from a 5th to a Class A 3 years ago. As we age we prefer the A for ease of setup and backing. Just push a lot of buttons for setup, rarely need blocks. Very nice when raining, windy or cold. The negatives for us were: less exterior storage, can't back up with the toad attached, harder to level if needing blocks and need to take the MH to get propane(have realy big tank though). Trailer and 5th are on a fulcrum so if not level they are easier to level and a 5th has a lot more basement storage.

All in all it is a personal choice.