Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: going from Class A to TT or Fifth wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> going from Class A to TT or Fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
95impala

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of moving from Class A to either a fifth wheel or a Tow behind. We currently have a 34 ft and Toad we travel with. Would be very interested in comments and advice as to what to look for.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 02:49pm by an administrator/moderator *

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We moved from a 5th to a Class A 3 years ago. As we age we prefer the A for ease of setup and backing. Just push a lot of buttons for setup, rarely need blocks. Very nice when raining, windy or cold. The negatives for us were: less exterior storage, can't back up with the toad attached, harder to level if needing blocks and need to take the MH to get propane(have realy big tank though). Trailer and 5th are on a fulcrum so if not level they are easier to level and a 5th has a lot more basement storage.

All in all it is a personal choice.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the pure traveling sense until recently we owned both our MH and a 33' TT. The TT was well set up and I pulled it with a '16 Super Duty diesel, 4 door long box, Lariat Ultimate package - the point being it's a nice truck and the right tool for the job.

With that said, I would rather drive the MH cross country than I would pull the TT across town. I just find pulling anything adds a level of stress not seen driving the MH. The one (*) I'd say is pulling the toad doesn't add much, if any, stress. The MH is big enough the toad is like it isn't even there.

Put another way, the TT is gone, the MH stayed.

As always, do whats best for you.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What truck will you be using to pull a trailer?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the same bells and whistles, it will take about the same amount of time and effort to set up. Now if you compare a loaded DP to a bare bones TT, sure it will seem spartan and more effort but that's not comparing apples to apples.

Particularly for a 5th wheel, driving is very comfortable...and even a properly set up TT isn't difficult.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple years ago we went the other way, 5th wheel to Class A. Have not regretted one bit. The 5er was a large 35' had a 1 ton dully to pull it with. The truck road like a truck the wife was never happy with the ride. Even though I had the 5er for years sometimes the backing got to be a challenge I am glad that part is over. From me the trade to Class A was happy wife happy life.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a fiver to a dp class a and after a few years went back to a fiver. You asked what to look for but that is more of a personal choice. We went to a 40 foot fiver with res frig, large kitchen and much more room than a motor home offers. I would make sure the fiver you look for has the auto leveling system with the auto reconnect and 6 point system if applicable, washer dryer, and whatever else you want/need. With that being said make sure your tow vehicle is capable of pulling what you like BEFORE you buy.

Again it is a personal choice but at least go apples to apples when you trade as far as amenities.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

hewebb

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled with a 34' TT for 9 years. I ended up pulling with a 3/4 ton diesel PU. Lots of highways produce rough ride that is hard on the neck and back + leveling was a pain. Decided to quit RV'ing. Then changed mind and bought an older 40' diesel pusher. Absolutely enjoy RV'ing again. Currently on a 4 month, 6000 mile trip through the north west. Driving is so much better and the added length allow us to have a washer & dryer that the wife just loves.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from a TT to a class A this year. After 15 years of trailering I wish I would’ve went Class A years ago. Easier to travel, setup and level. I would never go back to a trailer.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

resqguy

Anderson, SC

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The comfort of a class A is hard to beat. I'm looking to switch to a TT for financial reasons. The depreciation and maintenance on the DP is bad. Two things fail before I can fix even one thing. My class A is worth half what I paid for it. With a towable a 50% depreciation isn't as painful since you start with a lower number to begin with.

Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> going from Class A to TT or Fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS