cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving from Albuquerque to Orlando in October

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello RVers! I’m going to be driving from Albuquerque to Orlando at the end of October. It’s 1,800 miles by the shortest route. I’ll have nine or so days to make the trip, and we like to drive about 300 miles per day. We’re not afraid of multiple driving days. We’re well equipped to boondock.

Google Maps tells me that the shortest route is I-40 to Amarillo, US-287 to Dallas, I-20 to Jackson, US-49 to US-98 to Mobile, I-10 to I-75 to the Florida turnpike to destination. I’m familiar only with the Florida part of this route. All else will be new.

One possible alternate route is I-40 to Memphis, I-22 to Birmingham, I-65 to Montgomery, US-231 to I-10 and onwards.

I could also possibly take I-45 out of Dallas down to Houston and take I-10 all the way.

What would you do? What do I not know about these routes? Any pitfalls or major pros? Thanks for any help you can provide!
2018 Grand Design Reflection Fifth Wheel 28BH
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L
14 REPLIES 14

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
We came across US 82 from AL to US 287 in TX west of Dallas last month. 82 is good until you get east of Paris TX where it degrades. So that is a bypass around DFW keeping that in mind

Another DFW bypass is get off 287 at 380 to Greenville then 69 to I20. There is a lot of traffic early /late but divideded most of the way to Greenville & good road all the way to I20.

By all means use US 82 and not US 380. 380 not only has congested traffic but many traffic signals. US 82 is a very acceptable highway. Some slowup going through Gainesville, but you can keep highway speed all the way through Sherman. US 69 is a good way to get down to I-20 but there are several other ways.

This is great. Thanks!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
We came across US 82 from AL to US 287 in TX west of Dallas last month. 82 is good until you get east of Paris TX where it degrades. So that is a bypass around DFW keeping that in mind

sayoung wrote:
Another DFW bypass is get off 287 at 380 to Greenville then 69 to I20. There is a lot of traffic early /late but divideded most of the way to Greenville & good road all the way to I20.

runeatcamp wrote:
Thanks to all for help. Are all votes for dropping down to I-10? It's a better route?

I use Greenville to bypass DFW when going north from the Houston area. Instead of US-380, I would use US-82 at Henrietta to travel east to US-69, then south on US 69 through Greenville to I-20. I am saying my vote is definitely not to drop down to I-10. The I-20 route is shorter and you will avoid more major metropolitan areas, and I am not just talking about DFW and Houston.

Also helpful. Thanks!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Crodad wrote:
runeatcamp wrote:
Thanks to all for help. Are all votes for dropping down to I-10? It's a better route?

I wouldn't drop down to I-10 in Houston. That would make your trip a lot longer and the Traffic in Houston is terrible.

I just drove this route from Albuquerque through Dallas this past weekend. I take 287 to I-35W. Head south to I-20. then East to Shreveport. If you want to drop down to I-10, take I-49 to Lafayette and hit I-10 there. BE WARNED! there is construction from Lafayette to the Basin Bridge. no delays just narrow lanes and rough road.

You also have to time your drive through Baton Rouge. Going east you are fine till about 1 or 2pm. after that your will be stuck in very slow moving traffic. Heading west avoid morning rush traffic till about 9 and again it will slow down around 2pm.

This is helpful. Thanks!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

By all means use US 82 and not US 380. 380 not only has congested traffic but many traffic signals. US 82 is a very acceptable highway. Some slowup going through Gainesville, but you can keep highway speed all the way through Sherman. US 69 is a good way to get down to I-20 but there are several other ways.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't go any way that put me anywhere near Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston. Did it once and sat in traffic for hours and it wasn't rush hour. I'd go our of my way to avoid them.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

sayoung wrote:

runeatcamp wrote:

I use Greenville to bypass DFW when going north from the Houston area. Instead of US-380, I would use US-82 at Henrietta to travel east to US-69, then south on US 69 through Greenville to I-20. I am saying my vote is definitely not to drop down to I-10. The I-20 route is shorter and you will avoid more major metropolitan areas, and I am not just talking about DFW and Houston.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
runeatcamp wrote:

I wouldn't drop down to I-10 in Houston. That would make your trip a lot longer and the Traffic in Houston is terrible.

I just drove this route from Albuquerque through Dallas this past weekend. I take 287 to I-35W. Head south to I-20. then East to Shreveport. If you want to drop down to I-10, take I-49 to Lafayette and hit I-10 there. BE WARNED! there is construction from Lafayette to the Basin Bridge. no delays just narrow lanes and rough road.

You also have to time your drive through Baton Rouge. Going east you are fine till about 1 or 2pm. after that your will be stuck in very slow moving traffic. Heading west avoid morning rush traffic till about 9 and again it will slow down around 2pm.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ignore
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Superbumper

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
One downside of the I-10 route is that the road is very rough in Louisiana on the west side of Lake Charles and construction on the long Atchafalaya Basin bridge makes the lanes very narrow. I-20 is also somewhat rough in Louisiana, but not as bad.
Depending on which route you take, if you are not in any hurry, I would consider looping around Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston to avoid lots of heavy traffic. Keep in mind that non-interstate major roads, state highways and secondary roads usually are pretty good in Texas, though you will experience stop lights in towns.
I, myself, would take the route Google suggests if in doubt. I do avoid the stress of big city traffic with my RV if I can help it and have the time.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Depends on timing, I would drop down to I-10 and then head east, avoid New Orleans using the I-12 bypass, and then south on I-75 to the Florida Turnpike to Orlando. But considering the current weather in Louisiana that route is out until they get the mess cleaned up.

Cool, thanks. I’m going at the end of October, so lots of time to make sure the route is okay.
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on timing, I would drop down to I-10 and then head east, avoid New Orleans using the I-12 bypass, and then south on I-75 to the Florida Turnpike to Orlando. But considering the current weather in Louisiana that route is out until they get the mess cleaned up.
Superbumper