cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need new tires

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in need of new tires, leaning towards goodyear endurance, but spendy. Also considered carlisle and maxxis. Just wondering why I never hear anyone or read any article about firestone st tires. Any idea why? And what's your opinion on LT tires on a fiver that's only used here and there a few days at a time. They say, opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one, right or wrong. What yours.
rich
56 REPLIES 56

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP's question has been answered and then some. Thread closed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Let me put it another way then, for every issue on a forum , how many go unreported .

I look at it this way , you are paying dearly for a Goodyear tire , and if it can be proven itโ€™s a defective tire they cover. We are not hearing blowouts with Sailun , another itโ€™s not much consolation sitting beside the road with a blown tire and damaged trailer covered for damage or not . One other thing, I have insurance ,Iโ€™m not worried whether Sailun covers damage or not .

Right NOW Sailun has the better track record , thatโ€™s being proven .

I guess I wouldnโ€™t know, I donโ€™t go to the Montana forum... No need to ..

I wont crucify GY because of a few issues on forums... i am sure there are thousands of non issues for every one issue ..

And yes, Sailuns are a great tire, do they stand behind their product? I guess nobody can answer that question... hopefully they do, as they are selling a bunch of tires
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
As said , I wonโ€™t give particulars , if skeptical go over on the Montana Owners forum . Marathon yes , and the bad rap was also the G614, and continues with blowouts. Sure they should pick up the tab on a blowout , the price you pay for one is the insurance included.

Sailun second choice :h I donโ€™t know how many comments I have read on the Montana forum where they have had problems with the G614 and was switching to Sailun. The Sailun at this point has a proven record. I have yet to read about a blowout.

2014---

The Goodyear tires may have had a bad rap, BUT alot of that came from the Marathons... There was a bad year or 3 of the 614's BUT GY stands behind their tires... they will pick up the tab on repairs if needed..

The G114's are more of a commercial tire with minimal issues.

For use on fifth wheels, if not looking to spend the cash, the Sailun is a good 2nd choice at a fraction of the cost...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I always buy the best quality, it has always served me well.

I would not hesitate to run 7 years on the GY's. I have owned my 14" GY ENDURANCE "D" tires on my Boat Trailer for two years now and plan at least 7 or more years before replacement.

As I have done on occasion disagreed with you ๐Ÿ™‚ Just got off the Montana forum, more posts on the Goodyear G614 blowouts, and now another one on a fairly new G114, 4.5 years old . Those goodyears are not what you advertise . Hopefully the Endurance will change that trend, so far the others have not .

7 years , hopefully you are not recommending that for fifth wheel usage . I am seeing 4-5 years ,and blowouts with Goodyears on fifth wheels. I pushed mine to just over 5 years, and feel lucky after all I see over on the Montana forum .

On edit, no I will NOT give the particulars, if you don't believe what I wrote , go read it on the tire section on the Montana forum, have no reason to report something I have seen, and read. Just don't care for the hype I read about Goodyears tires, they have been problematic as long as I have been involved with fifth wheels. They are nothing special, and expensive.

You get WHAT you oay for MOST of the time ..

I will NOT skimp on tires, my tire guy said they really did a great job with the Endurance when it came out

Since most replace before the tread is low, they made the tread depth less, that give more stability and less tread flex... He also said they strengthened the sidewalls...

I DO NOT have the Endurance, but if I was in need if tires in thay size range, I would Not bat an eye.

Dont skimp
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always buy the best quality, it has always served me well.

I would not hesitate to run 7 years on the GY's. I have owned my 14" GY ENDURANCE "D" tires on my Boat Trailer for two years now and plan at least 7 or more years before replacement.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Just checked Discount Tire, and realized that the Endurance in 225 15" are only available in an E rating. My KZ is placarded for D tires, which gives me a tire load capacity only 360 lbs below my GVW. So, that brings up the question of do I stick with a D rated tire or spend more and go to an E rated tire, which would give me 1,332 lbs OVER my GVW tire capacity (at full psi)? Do I spend $120 more (plus tax) on the Endurance and =deflate= to 65 psi to get the same load rating as a D tire or just buy a D tire, which, IMO is plenty for my fairly light FW? FWIW, I've had good luck with 2 different sets of Carlisles, so that would be my D rated choice.

Lyle
. Get the โ€œEโ€ and use the weight/inflation chart and add 5 psi to chart. I will bet that will be 65psi.

Ok so I have spent the a good part of this weekend researching tires.. being that the nearest Americas Tire is 25 miles away I want to make sure I order the correct tires, went and looked at the tires we have and they are in scary shape (cracks in the sidewalls showing on more than one tire) and we have one more trip for the summer planned at the end of this month. I am going to order 5 tires and have the spare replaced too.
Here are my options for my current 205/75R14 - current tires rating C
Taskmaster Tire Contender TTT868 ST205 /75 R14 100M C1 RBL $46 Each- By far the cheapest which scares me
Hartland ST Radial ST205 /75 R14 100N C1 BSW $77 each- I dont believe I have seen anyone mention this tire as of yet but pricing would indicate it maybe a quality tire?
Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205 /75 R14 100M C1 BSB- $82 each - I am leaning toward this tire based on others comments but it has a sidewall option that states "Broken Serrated Band" According to goggle this is just the sidewall lettering correct? They also have Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205 /75 R14 105M D1 BSB about the same price.. but thinking I may stick to C's since my rims are rated for C's
Last are the Goodyear Endurance ST205 /75 R14 105N D1 BSW @ $116 each
Still on the fence about going up to a D rated tire plus now that we are adding a 5th tire...pricey and I wasn't anticipating buying tires until next season so the expense is not budgeted for but I also dont want to cheap out..
We are not full timers, our longest trips typically are 200 miles round trip maybe 3-4 times a year if we are lucky..
Thoughts or recommendations...

BobsYourUncle wrote:
This forum is awesome!

Based on what I have read here, and particularly in this thread, I just put 4 new GY Endurance ST 225/75/15 Load range E on the TT.

Based on my curb weight and tire ratings I had them inflated to 75. Going to check the math on that later. I guesstimated approximately.

I have always appreciated the input of others based on personal experience here.

Found the date codes on the back of the old tires, 2407. Eek! 12 years old, original ones except one that was replaced with a mismatch in 2014.

2407 โ€”- yikes!!

Thats close to winning the lottery odds
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

This forum is awesome!

Based on what I have read here, and particularly in this thread, I just put 4 new GY Endurance ST 225/75/15 Load range E on the TT.

Based on my curb weight and tire ratings I had them inflated to 75. Going to check the math on that later. I guesstimated approximately.

I have always appreciated the input of others based on personal experience here.

Found the date codes on the back of the old tires, 2407. Eek! 12 years old, original ones except one that was replaced with a mismatch in 2014.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"If I currently have a C rating- Trailer does recommend this size in a C is there any reason I cant go to a D? GVWR 6400/GAWR 3500- DRY Weight 4,198"

Sure as I mentioned simply know your tires weights and use the heaviest tire per axle for the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to that for both tires on that axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
melloftus wrote:
โ€ฆ.. also what does the 107N stand for? โ€ฆ..

That's the Service Description: Tire Rack: Tire Tech: How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Short version: It's the European way of delineating the Load Index and the Speed Rating. The US way is to separate the 2 and use the Load Range (a letter) instead of the Load Index.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
Just checked Discount Tire, and realized that the Endurance in 225 15" are only available in an E rating. My KZ is placarded for D tires, which gives me a tire load capacity only 360 lbs below my GVW. So, that brings up the question of do I stick with a D rated tire or spend more and go to an E rated tire, which would give me 1,332 lbs OVER my GVW tire capacity (at full psi)? Do I spend $120 more (plus tax) on the Endurance and =deflate= to 65 psi to get the same load rating as a D tire or just buy a D tire, which, IMO is plenty for my fairly light FW? FWIW, I've had good luck with 2 different sets of Carlisles, so that would be my D rated choice.

Lyle
. Get the โ€œEโ€ and use the weight/inflation chart and add 5 psi to chart. I will bet that will be 65psi.

Ok Discount Tire (AKA americas tire here in CA) has ST205 /75 R15 107N D1 BSW- also what does the 107N stand for?
If I currently have a C rating- Trailer does recommend this size in a C is there any reason I cant go to a D? GVWR 6400/GAWR 3500- DRY Weight 4,198