Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: need new tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> need new tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melloftus wrote:

Hi all, Question.. our TT needs new tires, do you all just take your TT down to the tire shop to have this done and leave the vehicle you tow it with attached?
I am just curious how you all do this.. also if we are going to have our tires replaced is there other service you would recommend having done?
we currently have ST205/75R14 Load C but i want to get the best tires we can as a blow out is a big fear
Thanks
Melanie

I've always just backed in to Discount Tire and let them do their thing. The Goodyear Endurance ST is getting good reviews, though you'd have to go to a 215 tire (slightly wider) as they don't make it in a 205/75R14. Carlisle does make one in your size, in both a C1 and D1 load rating, so if you're pushing the weight limits on your tires with a C rating, you've got "room" to step up a weight class.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Just checked Discount Tire, and realized that the Endurance in 225 15" are only available in an E rating. My KZ is placarded for D tires, which gives me a tire load capacity only 360 lbs below my GVW. So, that brings up the question of do I stick with a D rated tire or spend more and go to an E rated tire, which would give me 1,332 lbs OVER my GVW tire capacity (at full psi)? Do I spend $120 more (plus tax) on the Endurance and =deflate= to 65 psi to get the same load rating as a D tire or just buy a D tire, which, IMO is plenty for my fairly light FW? FWIW, I've had good luck with 2 different sets of Carlisles, so that would be my D rated choice.

Lyle
. Get the “E” and use the weight/inflation chart and add 5 psi to chart. I will bet that will be 65psi.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tracyb-oh

Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melloftus wrote:

Hi all, Question.. our TT needs new tires, do you all just take your TT down to the tire shop to have this done and leave the vehicle you tow it with attached?
I am just curious how you all do this.. also if we are going to have our tires replaced is there other service you would recommend having done?
we currently have ST205/75R14 Load C but i want to get the best tires we can as a blow out is a big fear
Thanks
Melanie

We just had new tires put on our 5th wheel today. We went last Friday and ordered the Endurance tires and made arrangements to go today and have them installed. They wanted us to come on Tuesday as that is their slowest day. So late morning we drove over and they had us pull up to the side of the building . It blocked all 4 bays. They jacked us up and had two techs working on our tires. They did one side then the other. Took less than an hour and we were out of their way.

Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Just checked Discount Tire, and realized that the Endurance in 225 15" are only available in an E rating. My KZ is placarded for D tires, which gives me a tire load capacity only 360 lbs below my GVW. So, that brings up the question of do I stick with a D rated tire or spend more and go to an E rated tire, which would give me 1,332 lbs OVER my GVW tire capacity (at full psi)? Do I spend $120 more (plus tax) on the Endurance and =deflate= to 65 psi to get the same load rating as a D tire or just buy a D tire, which, IMO is plenty for my fairly light FW? FWIW, I've had good luck with 2 different sets of Carlisles, so that would be my D rated choice.

Lyle
. Get the “E” and use the weight/inflation chart and add 5 psi to chart. I will bet that will be 65psi.

According to the GY chart, 65 gives me the same as the D.

Lyle

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And 50 psi on the minimum pressure chart gives you the same load rating as a C tire.
You gain nothing by derating a 80 psi E rated tire to 65 psi D tire pressures.

If folks would read rvtiresafety or Capriracer blogs on proper tire pressures/load range choices/tire size for trailers there would be no need to buy a E tire then derate pressures to 50 or 65 psi.

From Goodyear RV tire website;
Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I SEE NO NEGATIVE by jumping from a "D" to an "E" rated tire if your are that close to max... put em on, and run em.......

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

And 50 psi on the minimum pressure chart gives you the same load rating as a C tire.
You gain nothing by derating a 80 psi E rated tire to 65 psi D tire pressures.

If folks would read rvtiresafety or Capriracer blogs on proper tire pressures/load range choices/tire size for trailers there would be no need to buy a E tire then derate pressures to 50 or 65 psi.

From Goodyear RV tire website;
Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up

Frankly, were I to go ahead and go to an E tire, I'd only drop them to 70, as I feel that you start to get into underinflation territory below that. Tire wear and contact patch suffer. Now, were I going onto the sand at Pismo, that'd be a whole nuther subject. [emoticon]

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

According to the GY chart, 65 gives me the same as the D.

Lyle

That is correct. That's why I said what I did. BUT... if you are already weighing enough to require 65psi then per GY Tech you should add 5 and run 70psi when upping load range.

I went from GY "E" to "G" and was already requiring 80psi so I ran the "G" tires at 85. After many thousands of miles the tires ever wearing perfectly.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

I SEE NO NEGATIVE by jumping from a "D" to an "E" rated tire if your are that close to max... put em on, and run em.......

YUP you get a much stronger tire and have the ability to add more weight without going "OH" I better not add another can of beer!

My boat trailer had Towmaster POS Chinese tires from Les Schwab when I bought it in "C" load range and was near the top of their capacity. I went with "D" ENDURANCE and run at 50psi, they stay cool and I run 70 without concern.

* This post was edited 07/31/19 01:01pm by an administrator/moderator *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(quote)Frankly, were I to go ahead and go to an E tire, I'd only drop them to 70, as I feel that you start to get into underinflation territory below that. Tire wear and contact patch suffer. Now, were I going onto the sand at Pismo, that'd be a whole nuther subject. (emoticon)

Lyle (/quote)

70 psi would be better than 65 psi.
Not knowing the trailers load per tire I would do some chalk line across the tread system to double check those minimum tire pressure chart numbers. Remember those numbers are a minimum and doesn't cover the needs of a tire on a trailer and the tires interply shear affects.

Going from the D to a E tire has the advantage of a stiffer tire which at 80 psi its doing a better job of holding the tires plies together than at 65 psi when making those tight turns.

Roger Marble (Tireman9) a actual tire engineer talks about shear forces in tires on trailers. If a person would spend about a week and read all he has written on this subject you will see the reasons experienced RVers and tire experts/trailer blogs/Goodyear tire/others all recommend max sidewall pressures....unless some one has severally over tired the trailer.
http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2013/11/interply-shear-and-other-techno-babble.html

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> need new tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.