cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway in October

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we camped off the Pioneer Mountain Scenic Byway mid September. This year we want to go back, but are unable to till the second week in October. The campgrounds we are interested in have forest service office phone numbers I can call for additional information such as weather and if the campgrounds are open. Before I do that I'm looking for feedback from anyone that may have camped there at that time of year, the weather, and if the CGs are open. Here in Idaho, October weather is often sunny and dry, with cooler days, but not cold, and cold nights, and that's at higher elevations, and CGs are open and free, till the snow flies, then they close. I'm sure Idaho is different than Montana for FS CGs. Anyway, any feedback you have is appreciative. Thank you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
8 REPLIES 8

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, Price Creek has a lot of trees and Fourth of July and Boulder Creek on the northern end are more open which is what we would need for our solar panels. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye on the weather in this area a week in advance and make the decision to either go north or south!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had a good trip "ZIP"!! We drove through 4th of July CG right around the 4th of July!!! Sounds like you were there just recently!! Agree with you aboot Price Creek, very nice CG, and may go there next time instead of in the boonies!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just spent a week on this route----beautiful! Price Creek would be great in the fall, so try to hit it. We were told the area was popular with hunters. We even got cow poopy on our trailer!
Elkhorn Hot Springs were wonderful...
We also camped at July 4th CG on the Northern end and our neighbors had pictures of a Grizzly from just up the road. I'm not second guessing their identification of the bear, but I'm not sure if Grizzlies are that far South.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I 'knew" that the pass closes in the winter, but forgot aboot the snowmobile peoples!!! And I'm from Minnysoda, land of the Artic Cat and Polaris!!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Tucquala - thanks for your research. I read somewhere that the road is closed after snowfall and is open to snowmobilers, so not sure if the snowmobilers use the campgrounds.

When we stayed last, we stayed at Boulder Creek, at 6400 feet. That's not too bad, but high enough for cold fall days.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Renee, only thing I found aboot open/closed seasons was on this site:

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm#montana

You are probably familiar with it, and I know it is not an official NF site, but seems to be pretty accurate and useable. During our recent trip to that area, we looked at most of the cgs. Price Creek was the nicest, but at just short of 8 thousand feet altitude, I wonder how it could be kept open during the late fall/winter season as that site states!!! Also, many hunters during that time of year, and they use the NF sites heavily as well as the dispersed areas!!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis - yes, the USFS website did not give the dates, so I'll call in advance and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In the far West the USFS gives โ€œopen/closedโ€ dates online forest by forest, even district by district. Idaho and Montana may be different.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad