cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator with Surge Guard 34830

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a Surge Guard 34830 for my TT. Everything went normally when I tested it off mt house AC. Today I tried it with my generator I have for hurricanes. The surge guard reported "open ground" and would not allow the AC to flow (as it's designed to do.) I tried different start ups, plugged in after the gen was running, plug in before, etc.. No joy.

So, what do I need to do to make it run on the generator?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Big_steve wrote:
and the generator instructions say to not run electronics off it without protection,
Evidently this is not an inverter generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Very simple to make.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dang website error.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Website error
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Big_steve wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Big_steve wrote:

OR don't bother using your Surge Guard when using the genset.

Thanks, is it risky to use the generator without the surge guard?

I never do. Just for shore power.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œand the generator instructions say to not run electronics off it without protection,โ€

IMO quality RV inverter generators donโ€™t need โ€œprotectionโ€ and they say so in their literature.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. The bonding plug is cheap, and the generator instructions say to not run electronics off it without protection, so the plug is on the way.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inverter generator should be very low risk. Standard generator with a voltage regulator has a small risk of malfunction and allowing output voltage to be out of range.

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Big_steve wrote:

OR don't bother using your Surge Guard when using the genset.

Thanks, is it risky to use the generator without the surge guard?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Big_steve wrote:

A bonding plug so the genset's neutral & ground are connected ... OR don't bother using your Surge Guard when using the genset. If you don't want to make one yourself Southwire which manufactured your Surge Guard offers one premade, Model 44400.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380