cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter noise

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Converter is making a hogh pitched squeel. Think its the fan. Are they serviable?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
11 REPLIES 11

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Would the be a fan on the back? I didn't pull it out since the fan is rate in the front. This suggests there is a 2nd fan.

clicky

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
its a parallax 7155 and its not the fan making the noise. I opened it all up and watched it. no fan on and the noise started up. its not a constant noise it seemed to get more pronounced and would go up and down a bit then stopped after a couple minutes. still appears to be offering a charge. any ideas?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to turn it off, stick something small in to block the fan and turn it back on. If you still hear a squeal with the fan immobilized, it's probably a noisy, failing capacitor in the electronics section. They do that when the electrolyte paste inside dries out over time. While they can be repaired, usually by the time components start going bad it's better just to replace the converter with a new one considering the cost of the part and the labor of getting it changed. Another electronic device that prices have stayed pretty stable over the years and now seem pretty reasonable. If it is the fan, usually the little "computer type" fans have a foil name sticker on one side of the hub. Peel it off and you will find a small rubber disk that closes off the bearing cavity. Pick it out with a needle, put in some 3-IN-One oil (WD-40 dries back out too quickly), replace the rubber, and you should be good to go!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys. ill dig it out this week and see what will fit.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
PNW_Steve wrote:
A word of caution.

When the nylon bearing begins to fail it will make noise. If it suddenly becomes quiet it is likely because the fan has frozen up.

Fix it while it is still making noise.

+1 on the recommendation above to replace it with a ball bearing fan.

I've had better luck with fluid bearing fans, over the years I've lost a few dozen ball bearing fans but never a fluid bearing one. If you could find a fan with fully enclosed bearings that would probably work as well but I'm not sure how you'd shop for that.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebby14 wrote:
Converter is making a high pitched squeal. Think its the fan. Are they serviceable?
Probably if you mean to replace the fan.
What converter model number?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
A word of caution.

When the nylon bearing begins to fail it will make noise. If it suddenly becomes quiet it is likely because the fan has frozen up.

Fix it while it is still making noise.

+1 on the recommendation above to replace it with a ball bearing fan.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
A shot of WD40 will cure the noise temporarly.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a fan get noisy and replaced it with a ball bearing fan that cost a few cents more. Found it on Jameco.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what i figured too hot and tired today will dig in one night this week. Jist never really had one apart

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
Could be it just needs cleaning.

I've only had a couple apart but both were essentially 12v computer fans.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE