Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Keeping cool
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Keeping cool

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's pretty amazing, the engine driven AC compressor doesn't diminish gas mileage. OK, that's good to know.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

That's pretty amazing, the engine driven AC compressor doesn't diminish gas mileage. OK, that's good to know.

You were thinking the additional part-time (compressor cycles on & off) load of maybe 1.5 hp would have a significant effect on the fuel consumption of a 6.8 litre V10 that’s already pushing what is basically an 8’ x 8’ brick that weighs ~15k pounds at 60+ MPH?

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know about all the above said. I do know in my two class Cs with only the engine AC working. The cab and the living space up to the kitchen area were cooled. Past that when I stopped I had to turn on the coach AC to get the bedroom cool also with the house AC. I do insulate the cab from the house when stopped.

When I had a class A I had to run the house AC on the road when driving into the sun. The chassis AC did not compare to the AC in a class C.

Just me experience with a gasser Class A.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have friends from Arizona that sold their motorhome and bought a truck and trailer because when they were on the road the motorhome never got cool inside with the dash air on. We said why didn't you turn your generator and air conditioner on when you are traveling. . They said they didn't know you could do that, LOL.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

I don’t know about all the above said. I do know in my two class Cs with only the engine AC working. The cab and the living space up to the kitchen area were cooled. Past that when I stopped I had to turn on the coach AC to get the bedroom cool also with the house AC. I do insulate the cab from the house when stopped.

When I had a class A I had to run the house AC on the road when driving into the sun. The chassis AC did not compare to the AC in a class C.

Which is EXACTLY why I was trying to share some knowledge.

The Ford E-Series A/C is incredibly powerful, but it’s ability to blow air around is severely lacking. It has a puny little 12 volt fan that just isn’t up to the task of moving enough air to cool a M/H.

However, using the above-noted method of opening the rearmost roof vent allows the vacuum to overcome what the fan can’t, getting cool air to the back and draw out the hot air back there at the roof level.

Some people however prefer to argue instead of learn, nothing new there.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

AJR wrote:

Which is EXACTLY why I was trying to share some knowledge.

The Ford E-Series A/C is incredibly powerful, but it’s ability to blow air around is severely lacking. It has a puny little 12 volt fan that just isn’t up to the task of moving enough air to cool a M/H.

However, using the above-noted method of opening the rearmost roof vent allows the vacuum to overcome what the fan can’t, getting cool air to the back and draw out the hot air back there at the roof level.

Some people however prefer to argue instead of learn, nothing new there.

That method will of course work if the dash A/C is NOT SET to recirculate -> so that new air from the outside can come in from the front via the A/C fan and replace the air that the vacuum at the rear is removing through the rear vent.

As I mentioned earlier, this method constantly carries outside air - with all of it's dust content - throughout the coach interior.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read a number of interesting posts , on various forums and websites, on this subject. I intend to use my genset and roof AC more, with or without the dash AC, and with various settings of roof and dash AC/vent settings. I was merely interested in affects on mpg, out of curiosity. Increased usage of the genset and roof AC and dash AC is probably good for their seals, etc.

sprint99

Merton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran the Genny and Roof AC for the majority of our journey to and from Wisconsin and Maine. Kept the wife and sister inlaw cool and happy as well as allowing use of their chargers for phones and tablets. Usually not to adverse of an affect on the mileage that it bothers us as we'll also run them when we have our dogs with us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Keeping cool
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS