cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Progressive Dynamics Converter/Charger To Buy

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th Wheel came with the WFCO 8930/50 converter/charger and like most everyone else, it charges to 13.6v but won't go into bulk charge. I don't know which PD unit to replace it with. I tried emailing Randy at bestconverter.com to ask him and my email was kicked back undeliverable. I also tried calling and the phone just rang and rang. Is bestconverter still in business? The website is still up but no way to make contact with them.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
15 REPLIES 15

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I once had him try and tell me that two spanking new group 31 TPPL agms in parallel could not accept more than 75 amps when depleted to a resting 12.19v over 0 gauge wiring.

When the hundred amp, physically larger and heavier unit finally arrived, those batteries ,depleted to same rested voltage, accepted 97 amps for close to 45 minutes before voltage rose to 14.7 and amps began to taper.

People recommend what is best for their bottom line/job security and or what strokes their ego.

Honor and max profit are now diametrically opposed.

The well Informed customer needs no recommendations from product purveyor, and can only hope the product meets its performance claims.

The uninformed customer hopes and prays and likely shuns collecting data with the proper tools and efforts to collect it, and calls it faith.

At least he did not recommend a replacement wfco saying they now fixed the inability to seek a voltage other than 13.6v.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A novice giving advice is not employed long ๐Ÿ™‚ Even at a part store, Sear, or wherever. Best for them to be controlled by beepers and buzzers and have the cash register have pictures rather than numbers.

I have read some of Randy's comments and they are not based on a amateur's guesswork. While no converter or charger can be hand's off the ones with absorbsion are infinitely better than guesswork or serial battery killers.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
If the boondocker doesn't give you manual control over the charging stages, then the PD w/ wizard would have been a better choice,......no matter Randy !

I took Randy at Bestconverters advice. He is spoken very highly of here on this this forum and elsewhere. Like most people that boondock or do any kind of camping really, I spend my time doing a variety of things. Standing by and monitoring my batteries is not going to be one of them. Having an automatic system is just fine for me.

------
Well what you just said is that its ok to fire up your genset and watch it charge 20 amps, while you could be charging 40 And that's ok because its your time, and your genset and your fuel. But remember that Randy is the same Randy that`kept selling us those junk Wfco converters long after he knew they were junk and had a terrible failure rate !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
If the boondocker doesn't give you manual control over the charging stages, then the PD w/ wizard would have been a better choice,......no matter Randy !

I took Randy at Bestconverters advice. He is spoken very highly of here on this this forum and elsewhere. Like most people that boondock or do any kind of camping really, I spend my time doing a variety of things. Standing by and monitoring my batteries is not going to be one of them. Having an automatic system is just fine for me.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Battery In Wonderland ๐Ÿ™‚

A battery that seldom gets cycled and is maintained as you describe will have gray whiskers at its funeral. I would be heavily tempted to go with the least hassle battery on the market -- a Costco because of their near crazy liberal return policy. Keep an eye on the water level; it should need little of any. Float voltage will be on the low side. if your seasonal temperature varies little then temp compensation will be minimal. But 100F in the summer and -20F in the winter demands a more rigid temperature (voltage) variation.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Sizing the battery bank to gain a full advantage is also demanded. The compromise is weight.

Wanderer,

off the OP topic, we have a Progressive 9280, and it is getting time for me to replace batteries.

We do not boondock whatsoever; we travel from pedestal-to-pedestal, and remove batteries and keep them on a Deltran battery tender during the winter.

We use a residential reefer, with a placarded 3 Amp (running, with probably a 30%-40% duty cycle), using a Magnum CSW2012-X Pure Sine Wave Inverter to power the reefer while driving. We currently use 2 Centennial DP24MFS which are 60AH @20 hour.

I usually see about 12.4v - 12.7v on the Magnum inverter panel after an 8-10 hour driving day prior to making the pedestal hookup for the night.

I am going to move to the Duracell AGM Marine Battery - Group Size 27M, with a 92AH @20 hour rating.

Do you have any recommendations based upon our normal use and intended purchase?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the decision has been made, a lot of weight has to be thrown at two areas.

• Your vacation type. How you spend or not vacations away from a power pedestal
  • How fast your converter can recover the batteries when connected to a power pedestal

For example, if your batteries are AGM, you cycle them on vacation, return home then connect them you a WFCO their lifespan will be short and ugly

Connect wet batteries to a WFCO they'll end up sulfated and useless.

It's either yes or no, can the converter recharge to batteries be recharged to 100% in a reasonable amount of time before they sulfate?

Like anything else to do with batteries, the answer does not come easily. The longer they spend under-charged, the deeper the cycling makes all the difference in the world.

Batteries that endure shallow cycling, fare better. Batteries that endure less time partially charged fare better.

Batteries that endure don't give a **** ignorance also endure no mid-life crisis because they are dead,

Batteries demand a full charge periodically. Perhaps lithium chemistry is different. But <1% of RV'ers have lithium batteries.

Recharge batteries properly and it would be very usual to enjoy a 300% gain in lifespan.

There is NO question that obeying the demands of AGM battery recharging to 100% full is significantly easier as compared to any flooded battery. Controlled voltage and the presence of a panel voltmeter and ammeter are necessary. Intelligence choosing the correct mixture of generator and solar is also necessary to gain full benefit.

Sizing the battery bank to gain a full advantage is also demanded. The compromise is weight.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to get through to Randy at Bestconverter. He recommended the Boondocker BD1260CL to replace what I have. Happened to be cheaper than the Progressive Dynamics models and also on sale. Purchase made. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the first limitation you may run into is likely driven by your generator.

A 2000W generator will run a 60A PD fine, 75A or bigger is a possible issue with a generator overload at full current. The PD units have a bad power factor and draw more current than you calculate from the watts rating. A 100A is definitely a no no with a 2000W generator.

If you have a 1000W or so generator stay with the 45A.

A 3000W or so generator, no issues.

I have 4 GC batteries and what I did was replace the WFCO with a 55A PD unit and added a 75A PD deck mount in the pass through and wired it off a seperate breaker.

So.... when boondocking with one honda 2000 I use the 55A to charge, if I happen to have the honda 2000's paralleled I turn both on and get about 120A into the bank when deep discharged. speeds up the charging to 80% or so.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
bestconverter.com's web site is up and running this AM. Suggest you try the local number 334-406-0653. If you're on your cell it's better than the 888 and no charge.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 call they,ll get right.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If that is a combined converter/distribution panel you have some choices

If you wish to retain the existing converter as a back up (I recommend doing that) then a 9245 or a 9260

If you do not wish to keep the existing a a back up 4645 or 4660.

And last but not least.. If you are anywhere near MARSHALL Michigan.

Stop into the factory and talk to them. Nice folks. do not do many direct sales (lots of mail order) but they can figure it out for you and help you with advice.

Just a few blocks south of the Fountain
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 Lifeline 6v golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel. I boondock on occasion (couple of times each summer). I have a generator that I use if my 200w suitcase solar isn't a viable option (cloudy or sun is low in the sky). My wires are the standard 6 gauge wire that most RV's have. The wires connecting the batteries themselves are 2 gauge that I put together but beyond that, back to the converter they are what the manufacturer installed.