cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing from 38 ft Diesel Pusher

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of downsizing from my 38 ft diesel pusher. I'm a retired single male, and most of my RVing is just me and my dog. I want to be able to tow it behind a 1/2 ton truck, probably a F-150. I'm looking for something under a overall length of 25 ft. That is the maximum that would fit in my driveway. One of the reasons I'm thinking of downsizing, is so, I could keep it at home. 24 ft would probably be a little safer size wise for my driveway. In that size, is a 5th wheel or travel trailer a better way to go. What are the pros and cons between the two? I'll be looking for used also.
5 REPLIES 5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
TT and 5th wheels
Check out these folks who have been around the RV industry for around 60 years. Bought 2 truck campers from them in the '70s.
They have several 5th wheels and TT that the proper F150 can handle.

Not all F150 are the same.
F15o has 19 different GVWRs from 6000 on up to 8200 lbs and has 5 different RAWR from 3300 up to 4800 lbs.
To tow a 5th wheel trailer you will need the heavier duty 8200-7850 gvwr with a 4800 RAWR with 2500 lb payloads.
Or if its light enough the 7550 GVWR with the smaller 4550 RAWR will work with around 1800-2000 lb payloads.

There are lighter duty F150's like the 6800-7050 GVWR and real small 3800-4050 RAWR work better for 6k-7k TT's. These can have 1500-1800 lb payloads.

The 3.5 Ecoboost V6 twin turbo charged engine and the 5.0 v8 won't have any issue towing within their ratings.

F150 "MAX TOW" warning.
Ford markets this package as a option. Yes its a good option for towing duties. Many new F150 owners bit into the MAX TOW option with the lighter duty 6800 GVWR and 3800 RAWR thinking it could tow the max.

MAX TOW Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

I'm not a Ford guy, but I always heard the best of them was called the "MAX / MAX", meaning max towing =and= max payload.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TT and 5th wheels
Check out these folks who have been around the RV industry for around 60 years. Bought 2 truck campers from them in the '70s.
They have several 5th wheels and TT that the proper F150 can handle.

Not all F150 are the same.
F15o has 19 different GVWRs from 6000 on up to 8200 lbs and has 5 different RAWR from 3300 up to 4800 lbs.
To tow a 5th wheel trailer you will need the heavier duty 8200-7850 gvwr with a 4800 RAWR with 2500 lb payloads.
Or if its light enough the 7550 GVWR with the smaller 4550 RAWR will work with around 1800-2000 lb payloads.

There are lighter duty F150's like the 6800-7050 GVWR and real small 3800-4050 RAWR work better for 6k-7k TT's. These can have 1500-1800 lb payloads.

The 3.5 Ecoboost V6 twin turbo charged engine and the 5.0 v8 won't have any issue towing within their ratings.

F150 "MAX TOW" warning.
Ford markets this package as a option. Yes its a good option for towing duties. Many new F150 owners bit into the MAX TOW option with the lighter duty 6800 GVWR and 3800 RAWR thinking it could tow the max.

MAX TOW Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Escape 5.0 TA is probably the best of the truly small FWs. Scamp makes a slightly smaller one, but it's only single axle and, personally, I =hate= the bounce of single axle trailers.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
There are many previous posts and threads about the differences between a 5er and a TT, but I think all of the differences can be summarized into these simple categories:

1. Ease of hitching and towing
2. Storage
3. Height and Steps (or lack of)

Coming from a life-time of TT experience to my first 5er was a very difficult learning experience for me. But, after 9 months of 5er ownership and thousands of miles of towing and usage now, the 5er is not so daunting any more.

However, in many ways, I really miss the simplicity of the TT, instead of the new 5er with all the electronics on it. However, new TT's are becoming just as complicated, technology wise, as the most robust 5er's are now. I'm enjoying the 5er now.

Which one is better? easier? I cannot say one over the other. If you have the correct tow vehicle and hitching system, both tow marvelously (mine always did with a 1 ton diesel dually.)

The only thing that still catches me off guard with the 5er that I did not have issues with the TT is the height. Going from 11 feet to 14 feet high is a huge difference. But, once settled into the campsite, sitting in the front living room, over the king pin, looking "down" on the world is awesome! (there again, there are always trade-offs)

Consider the usage of your tow vehicle when not towing. Consider the amount of storage in both types of trailers, and consider your age and navigating steps in a 5er that don't exist in a TT. Bad knees? Don't get the 5er. Good knees?.... well, they might wear out sooner than you anticipate.

Which every way you go, do an over-kill on your tow vehicle. You'll not regret it when towing. Don't skimp on the vehicle.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
In that size, I would lean a bit towards TT.

With a 5th wheel it eats up a lot of bed storage space. In larger 5th wheels, they compensate by providing large underbelly storage but with smaller units, you don't get as much underbelly storage.

A 5th wheel will tow nicer but properly set up a smallish TT should tow just fine.

Also in smaller 5th wheels, getting standing headroom in the bedroom is rarer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV