cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Ceiling/Under cabinet mount speakers for Amerigo

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for some Ceiling mounted / Under Cabinet hanging speakers to use in our Amerigo restoration to go with the new stereo system.

Sadly, our local go-to for car stereos doesn't stock these kinds of speakers anymore, and finding what to call them specifically has been a bit of a challenge.

What we're looking for is similar to the picture below:

We're looking for a pair that we plan to install in the corners of our dinette on the underside of the overhead cabinet.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
19 REPLIES 19

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Looks fine, just make sure you have enough amplifier power to drive them. The description says it recommends 10 to 80 watts per channel. Not a huge amount, but I think more than many radios in RVs.

We bought an aftermarket Pioneer Dual Din unit from our local Independent Car Stereo shop. No Jensen junk here ๐Ÿ˜›

Since this entire project is basically only one step removed from building a whole RV from scratch, everything is being built to my personal specs.

Other than the outer fiberglass shell from the original 1975 Amerigo, and a few beams of wood, everything else is new.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks fine, just make sure you have enough amplifier power to drive them. The description says it recommends 10 to 80 watts per channel. Not a huge amount, but I think more than many radios in RVs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are at the top of the current contender list:

Polk Audio Atrium 4

Since these are a little larger, we'll probably mount these to the walls vs the underside the cabinet, but will still be in roughly the same foot print.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
First off, thanks for asking the question. This topic has been a springboard for me to investigate upgrading my camper audio system. We have TV & DVD player that routes through the crappy camper stereo system.
I was thinking of adding a wired and very heavy (weight) subwoofer.
But I've also experienced the newer Bluetooth speakers (both Big Jambox and Bose) and have begun researching how to upgrade the camper stereo system.
It looks easy (famous last words).
There's this gadget: https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Audikast-Latency-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B077MXFJGQ/ref=dp_ob_title...
And I already have one very nice miniature Bose speaker to start with. This could turn out pretty good.
Thanks again!

The main reason I'm not terribly interested in blue tooth speakers, is its one more loose thing that will need charging. Since this is going in a camper that we basically gutted and have been rebuilding from scratch, the wiring for the speakers is already in place, and we have a bluetooth enabled double din Pioneer Stereo we're installing in the camper for this purpose that has a remote control.

The TV is solely a bedroom used device, coupled with a Roku and a blu-ray player (I prefer using a Roku for streaming as the app support in most of the Blu-Rays is poor). If we watch something while at the table, we'll likely just bluetooth connect a tablet to the stereo for sound and set it on its stand for a screen (We're going to install a small NAS (Network attached storage) that supports Plex so we can sync from our giant digitized movie library from the house to it to take seasons of TV shows and Movies with us without needing to carry along multiple sets of discs.

AnEv942 wrote:
'Pod' speakers would be another search term. If its that eyeball looking thing in the corner that was my first thought-

Thank you, I'll see what I can turn up :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
'Pod' speakers would be another search term. If its that eyeball looking thing in the corner that was my first thought-
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off, thanks for asking the question. This topic has been a springboard for me to investigate upgrading my camper audio system. We have TV & DVD player that routes through the crappy camper stereo system.
I was thinking of adding a wired and very heavy (weight) subwoofer.
But I've also experienced the newer Bluetooth speakers (both Big Jambox and Bose) and have begun researching how to upgrade the camper stereo system.
It looks easy (famous last words).
There's this gadget: https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Audikast-Latency-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B077MXFJGQ/ref=dp_ob_title...
And I already have one very nice miniature Bose speaker to start with. This could turn out pretty good.
Thanks again!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
I have no suggestion for the speakers you are looking for.
But we have made very good experiences with a portable Bluetooth speaker. Of course it depends on the usage; we have no TV and just listen to music from the smartphone.
I wish there were no speakers in our camper; they are useless black circles in the ceiling for us.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
joerg68 wrote:
One poster suggested to look for speakers as used in surround systems.
They should be available in all sorts of sizes and quality classes.
But they usually rely on the presence of a separate subwoofer for low frequencies.
How much space do you have for the speakers?

We're hoping to mount in a fashion similar to how Amerigo's originally had their vintage stereos installed:

Baring being able to find a speaker that meets our need, we'll likely have to go with Plan B which involves mounting standard car stereo speakers flush into the underside of the cabinet. The reason we were trying to avoid this is all of the sound is then directed down into the cushions and whomever is sitting at the dinette at the time vs aimed out into the space in the camper.

joerg68 wrote:

Where between high-end HIFi and listening to the news is your expectation?

Somewhere about the middle would be fine. The issue we kept running into was most of the satellite speaker options had almost no lower range at all, which is fine for surround, crappy if you're aiming for a middle ground.

joerg68 wrote:

ETA:
just searched Amazon for "wall mounted speakers", and a lot of hits come up. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMM202/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZvUlDbASEM30Z
(I have no idea if these are any good and there are plenty more companies out there that make or sell speakers. Just giving an example)

Thank you, for some reason I couldn't get my brain to wrap around what to call the speakers (I've literally searched everything, but "Wall Mounted Speaker"). That was the other part of why I posted, was I couldn't get my mind to latch onto what to call the speaker type.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Crutchfield.com many different choices of small speaker. Google Crutchfield Motorhome speakers.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
One poster suggested to look for speakers as used in surround systems.
They should be available in all sorts of sizes and quality classes.
But they usually rely on the presence of a separate subwoofer for low frequencies.
How much space do you have for the speakers?
Where between high-end HIFi and listening to the news is your expectation?

ETA:
just searched Amazon for "wall mounted speakers", and a lot of hits come up. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMM202/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZvUlDbASEM30Z
(I have no idea if these are any good and there are plenty more companies out there that make or sell speakers. Just giving an example)
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all on the bluetooth suggestions, however, we already have wires in place and a nice 2 Din Pioneer stereo that will be driving wired speakers.

We were hoping to find some ones that could hang below the cabinets and aim outwards into the RV's interior vs just getting standard 6.5" auto speakers that would be mounted on the under side and aimed straight down.

This setup would be similar to how Amerigo's originally came when you ordered them with the stereo option, but I haven't had too much luck on finding what's a good brand these days.

I've found some Pyle and a couple other Marine ones so far, but the reviews on them has been sadly a bit disappointing.

The last time I had to shop for speakers, Advent speaker brand was still being made in the USA and still existed as a company ๐Ÿ˜›

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might also try stores that sell marine products.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found the Bose Bluetooth pairing instructions here: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/pairing-multiple-speakers-together.html
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I think a quick search of Bose on Amazon will yield a bunch of options.

- Mark0.