cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing batteries in forward compartment (Security)

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I just installed a bunch of expensive LIFePO4 batteries in my forward storage compartment. Other than the lock on the baggage door, has anyone come up with a way to lock their batteries down to prevent 'walk-aways'? I have the RV at a site at a provincial park for a month at a time (spring and fall) when we're there only on weekends, so I'm wary. Don't want to call particular attention by adding anything extra to the baggage door.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
23 REPLIES 23

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
best bet is to securely bolt them down. using 3/8 threaded rod, and steel angles. keeps them from bouncing around.and just makes it hard to remove.
i have 4, 6 volt batt, and use this bolt approach between each batt, and secured to the frame work at one end. O and "lean" the bolts inward to help hold things from shifting.
if your really crazy a new specially build access door and door frame. made of steel. and secured with "better" hardware than factory. but then that screams look here.
maybe a alm or steel grating inside of the access hatch bolted to the coach body.

but if you are leaving the coach someplace for a month of two, the creeps can test and see how to get past anything, to strip down your coach.
best thing is invest in a online live time video cam setup. this way you can at least see who did the damage to you.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

95flhr
Explorer
Explorer
You could go to a surplus store and get some ammo cans that the batteries will fit in. bolt or weld the Ammo cans in the compartment, drill hole to run wires through (use Grommets on the holes), vent as required and use an eye bolt in each can placed so you can lock the can when closed.

I did that on a travel trailer after having a battery stolen.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it’s a 5th wheel, was moved to this forum by moderator.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
First thing I would do is to leave the empty original battery boxes on the tongue with a few 10 gauge wires running into the trailer.

I'm just guessing here but I believe it's a 5th wheel since he posted in the 5th wheel forum.

Could be wrong though!
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
A heftier lock will not be a deterrent, they'll just pop the baggage door open with a medium sized screwdriver. You'd have to make sure the new lock looked the same as the old lock, or that calls immediate attention to the fact there's something worth protecting in there.

Perhaps an intrusion alarm that will call your cell phone would be an option. They aren't horribly expensive, and could give you a chance to call someone to check things out.

A drywall saw'd punch right through a cargo door if a screwdriver/pry bar wasn't available.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
On another forum, a guy made his own custom battery holders. It would be easy to add a lock to something like this.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A heftier lock will not be a deterrent, they'll just pop the baggage door open with a medium sized screwdriver. You'd have to make sure the new lock looked the same as the old lock, or that calls immediate attention to the fact there's something worth protecting in there.

Perhaps an intrusion alarm that will call your cell phone would be an option. They aren't horribly expensive, and could give you a chance to call someone to check things out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have insurance, and no, I'm not overly paranoid. The batteries are there to help me enjoy camping, not the other way around, I don't lose sleep over it. Was just curious if anyone had taken any simple precautions, given that I leave it at the park unattended for extended periods. Never had any problem in the past, but ignorance isn't always bliss.

The batteries don't have any physical attachment points other than the very small flimsy plastic tabs for the cloth straps to lift them (they weigh 30 lbs each), so the only way would be the bolt & metal bar route, which is more work than result in this case (just my opinion).
At this point I might just upgrade the baggage door lock to heftier model as suggested and call it done.
Thanks for all the input.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed 4 t125s upfront in a rubber made box. In order to vent I drilled two holes through in the base. I'm not concerned with theft, however that answers your question. Buyer a thick gorilla cable lock with round key that goes through the hole and around the batteries. That would do it. I would also place a door alarm on it as the first line of defense linked to the all the lights so their is sound plus lights before they figure out hos to cut the cable...

Happy trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
Why would anyone think your battery(ies) were more worth stealing than my one Auto-Zone marine deep cycle??? ...
Because they are?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Been my experience that people don't open other peoples compartments and take stuff, unless you have loose lips and tell them you have expensive batteries in there.

Being paranoid about stuff like that only ruins the experience, nothing more.

never seen anyone nebbishing with someone else's unit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Why would anyone think your battery(ies) were more worth stealing than my one Auto-Zone marine deep cycle??? Is there a history of battery theft at this park?

Don't call attention to it. Lock it up and go home.

(You DO have insurance, don't you?)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
It's a fifth wheel so no battery boxes on tongue.
I would use some hefty hold down bolts with self locking nuts, so that you have to use a wrench the entire way to get them off. Yeah, my 20V angle grinder would make quick work of those hold downs, but it's loud and might damage the battery. Not much that you can do to prevent theft, just try to discourage it as much as is reasonable. I suppose you could get a Mosler safe big enough to hold the batteries and have it welded to the frame, but that would just be ridiculous. And someone might just see that as a challenge.
I kind of like that idea, but take it a step further and secure a long bolt/stud at one end and run a 1/4" metal strap or two across the top of the batteries, and secure to another bolt/stud where it could be locked down. That would keep unnecessary height to a minimum.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
It's a fifth wheel so no battery boxes on tongue.
I would use some hefty hold down bolts with self locking nuts, so that you have to use a wrench the entire way to get them off. Yeah, my 20V angle grinder would make quick work of those hold downs, but it's loud and might damage the battery. Not much that you can do to prevent theft, just try to discourage it as much as is reasonable. I suppose you could get a Mosler safe big enough to hold the batteries and have it welded to the frame, but that would just be ridiculous. And someone might just see that as a challenge.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select