cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I love dogs. We had dogs as kids. These were loving family pets. As an adult, I also had my own dogs.

While camping last week, I was surprised by the presence of dogs and their impact on the campground. We were are Merrill Campground at Eagle Lake.

Dogs like to protect their space, their owners, and the way they do that is go out to the full extent of their leash and bark.

What surprised me was the 2-3 (or more) dogs per campsite, and the constant barking followed by the owners "barking" at their dogs to hush them.

Merrill Campground is in the Lassen National Forest. Perhaps since most of my other camping experiences are in far less developed areas, I was just in for a little surprise with the pets.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
52 REPLIES 52

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
OK. We're full on in the hate animals comments now... time to go.

"the hate animal comments....."

I must be missing those parts of the conversation?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
My dog barks at the campground......Dr Phil can you please help me ?

Grow up and take ownership and quit blaming the dog..

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I love dogs. We had dogs as kids. These were loving family pets. As an adult, I also had my own dogs.

While camping last week, I was surprised by the presence of dogs and their impact on the campground. We were are Merrill Campground at Eagle Lake.

Dogs like to protect their space, their owners, and the way they do that is go out to the full extent of their leash and bark.

What surprised me was the 2-3 (or more) dogs per campsite, and the constant barking followed by the owners "barking" at their dogs to hush them.

Merrill Campground is in the Lassen National Forest. Perhaps since most of my other camping experiences are in far less developed areas, I was just in for a little surprise with the pets.

The dog owner has to be smarter then the dog. Lots of times, that is not the case.

Lakeside

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK. We're full on in the hate animals comments now... time to go.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
It's never the pets fault as it's always going to come down to the level of responsibility exhibited by owner.
Every dog I've owned has been a family member and well trained,well behaved.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
...Imagine being on the trail and seeing someone with a handgun. You might be nervous even if it was in a holster.

Wait, what?
In my neck of the woods, that's considered normal. Unless you are talking about a city park trail.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

Dogs on a lease can also be an issue when trying to walk on narrow trails. Dogs can inflict a lot of damage and they even kill people now and then. Those of us who have been attacked a few times get nervous. Imagine being on the trail and seeing someone with a handgun. You might be nervous even if it was in a holster.

On a narrow trail it isn't the dogs fault it reflects on the owners lack of courtesy and ignorance of training the dog. When we are hiking and encounter others I instruct my dog to get to the side of the trail and sit until the others are past You state you've been attacked by a dog a few times. What exactly in your mind is a dog attack? Bitten or just rushed at?
Your statement about a gun makes me wonder if you're anti-gun otherwise why be nervous seeing it in a holster? If out of the holster get out of there if possible

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Biggest problem with dogs and cats is people not picking up after them. I think all pets should have to were a diaper when not on their own property. I think people who have cats that they let outside are the worst they don't even think about whose property their cat is doing their business on. Sorry but just because you have a litter box it does not mean that is the only place your cat goes.

I have never seen anyone doing RV travel and letting a cat roam free. Anyway, I think poop is a very minor problem. Barking is pretty high up on my list. Even worse are unrestrained dogs. Dogs on a lease can also be an issue when trying to walk on narrow trails. Dogs can inflict a lot of damage and they even kill people now and then. Those of us who have been attacked a few times get nervous. Imagine being on the trail and seeing someone with a handgun. You might be nervous even if it was in a holster.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just what we need more dirty diapers in the campfire ring.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest problem with dogs and cats is people not picking up after them. I think all pets should have to were a diaper when not on their own property. I think people who have cats that they let outside are the worst they don't even think about whose property their cat is doing their business on. Sorry but just because you have a litter box it does not mean that is the only place your cat goes.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

Do dogs enjoy attractions like the Falls? Don't want them to miss out on the scenery. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know you were being silly - but the answer is YES!!!! Any excuse to get out of the RV and walk around and SNIFF THINGS is a dog's idea of Heaven! (Although we generally avoid crowded places simply so our dogs don't get stepped on) The biggest problem WE have with our dogs is that they are cute and fluffy and love people and go out of their way to be "adorable" because it gets them attention (rolling my eyes)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
My two Boston Terriers love going traveling and camping with us. They always go. We never leave them out by themselves and their always on leash. What I hate is while walking my leashed dogs someones "oh they never hurt anyone" dog running out and attacking my leashed dogs. I usually carry pepper spray for those....
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the flip side, some people believe that kids and dogs should not be seen nor heard. I've always believed in the compromise: I expect to hear and see kids and dogs, but I expect the parents/owners to make an effort at controlling them. I don't expect perfection.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)