Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dogs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a dog person. We currently have 2 dogs. One is a basset hound and loves to bark...that's what hound dogs do. She's very annoying but we don't want to shock collar her because it's not a big deal when at home, and we do want her to bark when there's actually a reason to (like as a warning).

We don't take them camping if we can avoid it. It's more relaxing without them and they're happier at home. But, if we do take them, it's when our patio on the toyhauler comes in handy. They're much happier when not tied up and they can still sit outside and be "with" us without us having to worry about the tie coming loose, or as what happened one time, them knocking over their dog pen and running in different directions.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with 4 dogs and they always come with us. They are small and if we are outside with them, they will bark if someone walks past our site but they behave well. We can leave them inside while we run out and I have never had a compliant from any of our neighbors (and I usually ask). We work long hours so our dogs are used to sleeping in the house during the day so they sleep in the motorhome while we run out exploring during the day. I rarely leave them for more than a couple of hours.

We have been RVing for almost 10 years now and I can only think of a time or two that there was a constant barking dog. However, I can think of many times where kids and adults caused much more noise than I would have liked.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owners of barking dogs are to blame. Dogs can easily be trained to not bark.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are seasonals in a county park and there are many dogs here with both the seasonal people and the weekenders or vacationers that come in. There has not been any problem here and there hasn't been a single dog that barked and barked. One reason --- there is a rule that a dog cannot be outside without a human also present. They also do not allow dog to be tied out. If your dog is out, it is on a leash within 6 ft of you, or sitting next to you, or you are playing with it. Dogs are not to be left unattended, period. You seldom even hear a dog bark more than once or twice and the owner is quieting it. There is a mixture of size and breed with many people owning more than 1. There are 72 sites and a group area camping in this park.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dogs I have seen in the last few years that show how lazy the owners are in my own S&B front yard. The ones that have amazed me beyond belief were a few who were being walked and their people stopped to talk to someone and the dogs would either drop down on the chests and haunches or lay flat on the ground in the heel position, they don't move until they receive a little tug on the leash. The others that walk in the heel position and carry their leash in their mouth. Those dogs were energetic, playful, loved to run or swim but needed nothing more than a single word or gesture to return to the heel position. Their people were pretty interesting too.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Dogs like to protect their space, their owners, and the way they do that is go out to the full extent of their leash and bark.

What surprised me was the 2-3 (or more) dogs per campsite, and the constant barking followed by the owners "barking" at their dogs to hush them.

After 35+ years of breeding & training Parson Russell Terriers I’ve come to realize that the vast majority of ‘really well trained and behaved’ dogs (and children) are rarely either.

People would constantly say things like ‘A Jack Russell? OMG, how do you stand it?’.

Then they would meet one of my dogs.......

This was my last personal companion who probably had more nights camping experience than most adults do.

[image]

People would walk up to see if he was a live animal and not a stuffed toy when he ignored a yapping ‘well-behaved’ dog walking by.

* This post was edited 07/21/19 06:05am by an administrator/moderator *

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

The dogs I have seen in the last few years that show how lazy the owners are in my own S&B front yard. The ones that have amazed me beyond belief were a few who were being walked and their people stopped to talk to someone and the dogs would either drop down on the chests and haunches or lay flat on the ground in the heel position, they don't move until they receive a little tug on the leash. The others that walk in the heel position and carry their leash in their mouth. Those dogs were energetic, playful, loved to run or swim but needed nothing more than a single word or gesture to return to the heel position. Their people were pretty interesting too.

My neighbor has a German Shepherd like this. He can walk him through our whole neighborhood (which is ruralish with lots of birds and bunnies and other things dogs love to chase) without a leash and the dog never leaves his side unless he says it's OK. All the commands are in German too. But then once he's in his own yard and free to play, he's the goofiest sweetest dog you'll meet. They did a great job training him.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had some excellent Friends. All have passed. Th last was Dakota.
We never took him RVing, I'm sure he would have adjusted but.....
He saved us from home invasion three or four years ago.
He might have barked a bit but he obeyed.
We have had people let their dog run free and pee on our chairs etc. Had one in Michigan have her dog come poop right in front of our steps of fifth wheel a long time ago. And hey get mad when the Camp host makes them put the dog up and clean it up to the point of the one whe peed on our chairs and things, making such a scene I comtemplated calling the Sheriff. RV Park banned them from then on. I like dogs. Neighbor last trip had two German Sheperds that wanted to ply. They barked a bit when approached. They ha them staked out and didn't bark otherwise for some time but took them in their RV.
We had one dog that wore us out playing catch, us our neighbors,kids down the block. One our dead end street he was everyone's dog, at times. Til someon ran over him. He would wind up backwards like a top and take off chasing the few cars that came by. He would have been great company in our RV but that was before we had the RV.
Some dogs are excellent campers, some dogs are your guardian and...
some dogs just have to make noise 24/7.
Most RV Parks Resorts won't tolerate unruly noisy dogs and Owners who won't clean up after them or keep them on a leash etc. But they have to catch them or someone tell them.
One of our Friends from Florida had/has a Bulldog, I think it is. Grea personality but...we went for dinner come back and he had cut on the generator.
Told him to not leave the keys or he would drive away with the RV.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good grif..... someone downsize there huge picture...I never did find the other side of the pic.

Anywayz we are old time campers so we enjoyed many dog free years (late '40s/'50s/'60s) camping/fishing in a state or many COE lakes/rivers camp grounds.
We don't camp much anymore mainly for the doggy reason.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our 4 yr old Golden Doodle with us on our 5 week trip to the PNW. It was funny walking through campgrounds when dogs barked as we walked by. He'd just look at them as if to say, WTH's your problem? He never barked back. If he makes any noise in the trailer/house it's usually a growl as he feels something isn't right

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS