Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help!!! Frame broke
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!! Frame broke

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off. I am sorry about your situation. Some pics, and more detailed info would help.

My present TT has FOUR 42 gallon grey/black tanks, and ONE 42 gallon fresh tank. I routinely travel with them full. And over some really rough roads to boot. We load very heavy as well. We even mounted a 5 cubic ft deep freeze on the rear rack.
We boondock in remote locactions for extended periods. If you don't bring it, you can't realistically get it.

My Lippert frame is VERY stout. The welds are top notch. (I am a welder, so I know what I am looking at)

This is our 3rd TT, and the first Lippert framed one. It is also the only one that I have not needed to weld up some repairs on.

Now, as I have said before many times. Lippert builds what the manufacturer requests. Unfortunantly most of them are into light weight/low cost frames. Sabre paid up for a good frame. A REAL 10" I beam, 1/4" thick.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco254 wrote:

What kind of TT is it and does it really have a Lippert frame are is every body just guessing because of Lippert's previous reputation. I've got a Bal huck and buck type frame it's 11 years old and when I hook it up the tongue bends so the propane tanks almost touch the front wall actually the plastic cover does, but when I unhook it goes back to normal I'm still waiting for it too break. Lippert is not the only company that builds a frame that seems too leave a lot too be desired from customers.

Think I'd be adding some gusseting. Far easier to add material than have it break on the road.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

First off. I am sorry about your situation. Some pics, and more detailed info would help.

My present TT has FOUR 42 gallon grey/black tanks, and ONE 42 gallon fresh tank. I routinely travel with them full. And over some really rough roads to boot. We load very heavy as well. We even mounted a 5 cubic ft deep freeze on the rear rack.
We boondock in remote locactions for extended periods. If you don't bring it, you can't realistically get it.

My Lippert frame is VERY stout. The welds are top notch. (I am a welder, so I know what I am looking at)My Lippert frame is VERY stout. The welds are top notch. (I am a welder, so I know what I am looking at)

This is our 3rd TT, and the first Lippert framed one. It is also the only one that I have not needed to weld up some repairs on.

Now, as I have said before many times. Lippert builds what the manufacturer requests. Unfortunantly most of them are into light weight/low cost frames. Sabre paid up for a good frame. A REAL 10" I beam, 1/4" thick.

I am as well, certified in all processes but I prefer TIG. The Lippert frames I've seen leave lots to be desired. Maybe you got a good one, many owners have not.

I see you own a Palomino, so do I but a TC not a TT. Been to Colon many times, I know the plant manager personally and looked at the frames in the storage lot and I didn't see any that were better or worse than the others in storage. Almost all had issues that I saw like cold welds, incomplete beads and poor fitment, especially where the axle perches were welded to the main rails. The addition of proper gusseting would eliminate most of the issues in my view, but then I don't fab them. Like you, I'm an end user.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank goodness no one was hurt! Very sorry that this happened to you.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ERnurse16

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for you answers. We truly appreciate them.
It is a 2017 Palomino Model 201SS on a Lippert frame. To clarify, when I said hauling water, I meant the fresh water tanks were full because we were going into the mountains for the weekend. Not hauling extra tanks of water inside the trailer. According to the manufacturer, we could haul something like 500# of supplies. The full tank of water was around #250. There was no mention in the owner's manual, or any paperwork for that manner, that says the trailer should not be towed with a full tank. I can guarantee that we did not have that much in there. I know Lippert won't care. I'm just exceedingly frustrated with their response. I will add pictures as soon as I figure out how to. I'm truly bothered by the trailer manufacturer and Lippert's response because this easily could have been a fatal accident if it had happened while travelling at highway speed.

Unfortunately we do not live where I bought the trailer. We have it at the local dealer and they are worthless. They are being punitive since I did not buy the trailer from them. They have told everyone that the frame is just "bent" even though we have pictures and proof that all the welds have failed. Needless to say, we are trying to get the trailer back to the original dealer so that we can get an accurate assessment.

We have had 2 certified welders assess the trailer and although they feel like they could fix it, they have both said that the trailer body needs to come off the frame and the whole frame needs to be inspected and fixed. They are also concerned about the damage that the trailer body sustained from hitting the highway.

We have NHTSA involved and I have talked with insurance. My insurance company wanted me to attempt a fix with the manufacturer first before submitting the claim as they feel it is 100% a manufacturer flaw.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I wonder if you can find protable truck scales somewhere or have it towed to a truck scale. I must tell you, however, if your statement that you could haul 500 lbs. of cargo, and you had 250 lbs. of water on board, you were probably overloaded.

ERnurse16

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To down the road - how do you figure we were overloaded? We had water in the tanks and a few kitchen supplies in the trailer. We had our clothes and food in the towing vehicle.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ERnurse16 wrote:

To down the road - how do you figure we were overloaded? We had water in the tanks and a few kitchen supplies in the trailer. We had our clothes and food in the towing vehicle.

I'm not suggesting that you were overweight but do you by chance have a CAT scale ticket? It would help make your case if Lippert is claiming you were overweight.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a little online looking it appears the cargo capacity is 1,100 to 1,150 pounds. It would be very easy to be overloaded since that is not a large amount of capacity.

I figure our everyday camping gear with food and water exceeds 1,500. I always make sure any trailer I buy has 2,000 or more capacity.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A newish trailer shouldn't fail but:
- you have a 50gal fresh water tank, so closer to 420lb of water if full.
- With 1150lb cargo capacity, you would be surprised how quick you hit the limit with seemingly very little stuff loaded (any extra equipment installed...that counts towards payload in addition to the 420lb).

But no, it shouldn't have failed even if over GVWR by a bit. I would put it back on the insurance company that the manufacturer are fighting that it's a flaw. Tell them to pay off on the policy and then they can go fight with the manufacturer if they want to claim it's a flaw...you were involved in an on road accident.

I would be very careful about getting the rig weighed if you don't have to...if everyone is in a pissing match and it shows up over the GVWR, both insurance and manufacture could point to that say it was all your fault.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!! Frame broke
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS