Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help!!! Frame broke
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!! Frame broke

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I figure our everyday camping gear with food and water exceeds 1,500.

1'500, that's a lot of gear. Once on a whim I took everything out of my trailer and weighed each item one by one (well I measured the utensils as a complete drawer etc) for a total of 263 pounds. So I can see where the OP truly didn't have that much stuff in the trailer.

valhalla360 wrote:

I would be very careful about getting the rig weighed if you don't have to...if everyone is in a pissing match and it shows up over the GVWR, both insurance and manufacture could point to that say it was all your fault.

Getting it weighed is probably a moot point now. But I would still get it weighed so I know what's going on. If for some reason the scale says you are overloaded then throw the scale ticket away and move on.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Getting it weighed is probably a moot point now. But I would still get it weighed so I know what's going on. If for some reason the scale says you are overloaded then throw the scale ticket away and move on."

Agreed without a weight ticket the how does the OP know if they were overloaded or not? Knowing the weight vs. guessing the weight lets the OP know where they stand!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

1'500, that's a lot of gear. Once on a whim I took everything out of my trailer and weighed each item one by one (well I measured the utensils as a complete drawer etc) for a total of 263 pounds. So I can see where the OP truly didn't have that much stuff in the trailer.

valhalla360 wrote:

I would be very careful about getting the rig weighed if you don't have to...if everyone is in a pissing match and it shows up over the GVWR, both insurance and manufacture could point to that say it was all your fault.

Getting it weighed is probably a moot point now. But I would still get it weighed so I know what's going on. If for some reason the scale says you are overloaded then throw the scale ticket away and move on.

I always say to add 1200-1500 lbs to the dry weight because you will add more than what you think. Your 263lbs sounds awfully low!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ERnurse16

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting it weighed now is a moot point as we can't even move it since the frame is broke and it had to be hauled on a flat bed just to get it away from the accident scene. As I mentioned, we only had a few kitchen supplies in the camper as we were only going for a weekend trip. The remaining supplies were in our tow vehicle.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I always say to add 1200-1500 lbs to the dry weight because you will add more than what you think. Your 263lbs sounds awfully low!

Completely off topic but what do you people carry that's so heavy? I was loaded for 5 people for 3 weeks and was under my 600# carrying capacity. I had a full fridge, full pantry, all my kitchen gear, and clothes and outdoor equipment for 3 weeks in temps from 28 to 110, plus my toolbox because we were going to be in some of the remotest country in the US. I did not have anything in the tanks so I can see being at 1200# if you're including large tanks that are full.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

ERnurse16

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay.....anyone know how I add pictures to this conversation? I've tried figuring out and am not having any luck [emoticon]

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here you go

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very sorry to hear of your mishap and can certainly understand your frustration. Hope it gets sorted out to your satisfaction.

In general:
If you never have had your camper weighed, then you have no idea what your weight situation is.
My camper had a 3600# dry weight, 3820# factory weight, and was almost 4200# empty when I stopped at a CAT scale on the way home from picking it up. We run right at 5000# when camping. Max of our camper is 6000#.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

301TBS

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar experience. The sticker weight on the trailer was out by 400lbs. That reduced my payload a significant amount.
I would think the frame should be able to handle a full water tank, but nothing surprises me on rv construction anymore.
Good luck getting things sorted out.

2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are way off in your statement that with an almost full FW tank, it weighed 250 pounds. Water weighs just under 8.5 pounds per gallon. You had about 400 pounds of water on board, not 250. Hopefully, your other estimated weights were closer...

Don't think so though. People tend to overload commonly. I believe you were oveloaded and if that proves out, you haven't a leg to stand on poor frame construction or not.

Lippert did (a while back) release a warning about running with a full FW tank or a BW tank due to them 'falling out' of their cradles because the cradles aren't stout enough to carry them full. In as much as you didn't suffer a 'tank drop' but instead broke the frame at the front, I suspect you were grossly overloaded.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help!!! Frame broke
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS