cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof repair

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
Opinion time. Shreaded my roof on my 2011 5er. Did not like 75 mph. Temp repair to keep going. Positioned the fabric and stapled doww. Stapled down big wrinkles. Taped with gorilla tape then stapled down the tape. Then covered with wide gorilla tape and more staples. Then sprayed on flex seal to cover the edges and the staples. It held together for 200 miles and hopefully 1500 mile to get home. My question is: if it holds can i cover the whole roof with a sealer and keep it for a few more years? Not ready to trade and don t want to drop a few thousand on it and then get rid of it. I have a picture but i never have luck sending.
Thanks,
Jeff
9 REPLIES 9

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
File an insurance claim and have the roof replaced? It's why you have it, after all.

Lyle

X2. The repair quotes are extremely pricey. Get the check and Take the rv to one of the RV FLEX Armor roof installers. It will be the best roof you can get plus actually less expensive .I used DFW RV Roof in Denton, Tx. Do Not confuse with any other product.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
If you are getting the roof replaced and keeping the RV is what you want go with the Permanent roof from RV Flex Armor. I had it installed at shy of $7k or my 2014 just for piece of mind. Extremely durable and absolutely NO caulk and NO maintenance.
https://rvroof.com/
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Usnthedog wrote:
Thank you laxnox. Called and approved. Never crossed my mind. Just like finding cash on the street..
Thanks everyone for the input.
Jeff

Woohoo! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you laxnox. Called and approved. Never crossed my mind. Just like finding cash on the street..
Thanks everyone for the input.
Jeff

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I tore roof on a tree and insurance paid for new roof minus deductible. Thank goodness because it was a 6000 dollar job.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with file a insurance claim and fix it correctly. If it leaks your RV will be salvage with no resell value. Even if you manage to cobble it where it doesn't leak good luck trying to sell it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The staples should hold the rubber in place. If it holds for 1500 miles it should be okay.

My concern would be how well the Gorilla Tape sticks to the rubber. I know it holds well but, will being covered with Flex Seal cause any problems?
My next concern would be the Flex Seal and how well it holds up.
I would have used rubber roof sealer and Eternabond but, in an emergency you have to use what is available.

Just inspect the roof often and watch for leaks. If it holds up then apply a roof sealer. You may get several more years from the roof.
I repaired and coated the original roof on our 96 Southwind. It has held up for several years.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that if it's ripped you might be better off replacing it but I was quoted $7K so I'll try an seal mine before it gets much older, or sell and upgrade.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
File an insurance claim and have the roof replaced? It's why you have it, after all.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member