cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stove fan

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
During my trip last week, the fan over my stove stopped working. The stove light works, with its on/off switch next to the fan on/off switch works.

I've done no troubleshooting yet, other than looking at the fuses - all good.

Before I dig into it, is there possibly a reset for overheated conditions? The reason I ask if my sweetheart was toasting some bread and the stove hood was really hot when she asked me for help with it.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
11 REPLIES 11

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have replaced the fan motor a couple times...

During my repair, I removed the entire hood. Obviously not required now that I have done it once. I was looking for a thermal fuse, but never found one.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have replaced the fan motor a couple times... NOW I get my moters from a surplus electronics store but you are better off getting OEM type replacements.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got it replaced. The amperage rating on the "new" motor was higher than the dead unit, so I was/am a little wary. Runs strong. This is the 6th repair I've done on my trailer.

• internal trim piece
  • tongue jack ground
  • water heater control board
  • external trim piece
  • fan motor
  • propane fittings

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the underside of my stove hood said, "thermally protected" I did not find a thermal fuse. I found 12V at the motor.

Bought a new one on Amazon - $9.50

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Other than just looking for screws and using common sense, is there a right way or a wrong way to disassemble the hood and fan?

On ours it is just 2 screws up from the bottom holding a bracket across the hole. You can see the fan wires hanging down when I had it out here (2nd to last picture).

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Other than just looking for screws and using common sense, is there a right way or a wrong way to disassemble the hood and fan?

If you break something or otherwise can't get it back together afterwards, you probably tried to disassemble it using the wrong way. Likewise, if you spend three hours getting it apart only to discover that doing things in the opposite order would have taken ten minutes, that's the wrong way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If it's anything like my RV range hood, it's nothing fancy or complicated. (Also if it's like mine, the fan is more decorative and noisy than functional, which for me is doubly the case as it's not vented to the outside but just recirculates the air underneath the hood.)

"recirculates the air underneath the hood"?

Now that's camping! :S

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:

If you break something or otherwise can't get it back together afterwards, you probably tried to disassemble it using the wrong way. Likewise, if you spend three hours getting it apart only to discover that doing things in the opposite order would have taken ten minutes, that's the wrong way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If it's anything like my RV range hood, it's nothing fancy or complicated. (Also if it's like mine, the fan is more decorative and noisy than functional, which for me is doubly the case as it's not vented to the outside but just recirculates the air underneath the hood.)

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you ohm out the wires to the motor and shows 'open', that's likely it. I replaced one on a residential range vent fan some time ago.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
There may be a thermal fuse on the fan itself. They arenโ€™t resettable but can be replaced for a dollar or two if you can solder.

OK, good clue. Time to do a little disassembling.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There may be a thermal fuse on the fan itself. They arenโ€™t resettable but can be replaced for a dollar or two if you can solder.