Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Power Cable Extension options ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Power Cable Extension options ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
obedon

Ottawa

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still in the early days with my 2018 Rockwood Signature 8335BSS, 36ft long. We were at a campsite where we needed to rent an extension cord to reach the outlet. 30 AMP set (I think). I then went out and bought a second cord thinking it could be chained with my existing cord if needed but this weekend I noticed the female connectors only match with the trailer connector and not with the cord plug ends. Are there any recommended adaptors or do I need to shop for an extension cord model?? Many thanks!

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were in the US, by code, pedestals are supposed to be at the left/rear of sites and you will rarely need a longer shore power cord. Canada doesn't have those codes and pedestals can be a long distance away. I've heard of up to 100' in some Ont. CGs.

We carry a spare 30 amp shore power cord with twist-lock connector on it. Also have a 30 amp generator adapter like in this photo. Allows the two cords to be connected together. Have rarely needed to do that but when you do, you really need it!

Tip: Always keep your shore power cord blades clean and shiny with sandpaper or emery cloth. Never plug into a pedestal (or at home) unless the power is turned off otherwise you will cause pitting & dirt on the blade surfaces and inside the cord connectors where you can't see what condition they're in, which can lead to overheating.

[image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you bought the wrong cable, you need one like this: cord

Lwiddis

Near Cambria, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am always nervous when new RVers talk about buying extension cords because they might believe the size and length of the extension makes little difference. They both do...lots of difference.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"By US code they are supposed to be on the left rear of a site".

I highly doubt that there is a code that makes this statement? I have been in to many campsites where this is not true! I was just in a County Park and the power post was on the right side of the site!

I will say that common sense says they should bee on the left rear or at least the left side of the site. However "common Sense" is awful hard to come by these days.

Happy camping

Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

"By US code they are supposed to be on the left rear of a site".

I highly doubt that there is a code that makes this statement?

Ditto.

Bob

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

If you were in the US, by code, pedestals are supposed to be at the left/rear of sites and you will rarely need a longer shore power cord. Canada doesn't have those codes and pedestals can be a long distance away. I've heard of up to 100' in some

Then I have been in a lot of campgrounds violating that code( if there is one). I have been in sites where the pedestal was at the front left, middle or back. Also, on the right back and directly behind.
I suggest having at least an additional extension of 25'. So far I have used my extension twice.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you bought a new power cord instead of an extension cord. Extension cord is what you need.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

I highly doubt that there is a code that makes this statement? I have been in to many campsites where this is not true! I was just in a County Park and the power post was on the right side of the site!

Happy camping
From NFPA 1194:

5.2.2.2 The water and electrical assemblies shall be located on the left rear half of the site (left side of the recreational vehicle) within 6 ft (1.8 m) of the stand.

From NEC:

551.77 Recreational Vehicle Site Supply Equipment.

(A) Location. Where provided on back­in sites, the recreational vehicle site electrical supply equipment shall be located on the left (road) side of the parked vehicle, on a line that is 1.5 m to 2.1 m (5 ft to 7 ft) from the left edge (driver’s side of the parked RV) of the stand and shall be located at any point on this line from the rear of the stand to 4.5 m (15 ft) forward of the rear of the stand.

For pull ­through sites, the electrical supply equipment shall be permitted to be located at any point along the line that is 1.5 m to 2.1 m (5 ft to 7 ft) from the left edge (driver’s side of the parked RV) from 4.9 m (16 ft) forward of the rear of the stand to the center point between the two roads that gives access to and egress from the pull­through sites.

The left edge (driver’s side of the parked RV) of the stand shall be marked.

There could be older CGs that predate 1194 and the NEC. We stay in mostly older CGs and very few pedestals aren't at the left rear in back-in sites.

* This post was last edited 07/15/19 06:23pm by myredracer *   View edit history

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obedon wrote:

Are there any recommended adaptors or do I need to shop for an extension cord model??

You want a 30 amp 10 gauge RV extension cable, sold in 25' and 50' lengths. Since you're here in Ontario and will no doubt be camping in the Ontario provincial park system I'd highly recommend you invest in a 50 footer which along with your existing 25' cable that came with the trailer will allow you to reach out 75'. That will cover you for most situations but in the future you may also want to eventually add a 25' extension to your collection so you can reach out 100' which is not uncommon at all here in Ontario. FWIW I made my own cables which altogether allowed me to run out 140' - and used every inch of it at Inverhuron PP. [emoticon]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Power Cable Extension options ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS