Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe

The fifth wheel might be an option. It is a little shorter overall with the hitch in the bed, but only by about 5 feet based on my studies. One other thought I didn't mention is I don't like what the hitch might do to my truck bed, and I've heard of a few mishaps hooking up a fifth wheel on this forum. I like that if I make a mistake hooking up my bumper pull it won't fall on my truck. I will admit that I have seen some fifth wheels that wow me.

Steve

* This post was last edited 07/15/19 04:26pm by DallasSteve *   View edit history

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to move often, get a motorhome.

If you're going to be at one place for extended periods, get a fifth wheel.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Next I recommend you reconsider buying only a new unit. RVs depreciate rapidly. Mine was in like new condition and cost less than half the cost of a new unit. Also RV construction and parts are often way less than perfect. New RVs always seem to require a shake down period and fixing issues. Let someone else do that for you. If you decide on a TT you should have lots and lots of choices for used units. A lot of families buy TTs and sell them after a few years and relatively little use as the kids grow up and refuse to travel with the parents.

You told the OP to buy only a new unit. Then you tell him the benefits of used units. [emoticon]
I think he mistyped. recommendation for newer used units.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For often moves ,access to comforts, MH. Time to hook up/ unhook towed, then Coach, longer and more troublesome than a trailer. You first have to have a level place to disconnect the towed, then still have to hook up the coach on site. Potentially costly tow system . Pros, smaller cheaper car, more campsite availibility, easier parking.
Cons . Larger depreciation, less storage, complexity, as it is a complete home and vehicle in one package. One thing breaks down, you are stranded.
For depreciation truck / trailer wins as better, has advantages of lesser cost, better resale, more storage and flexibility. Something goes wrong with either, you still have one to find an option for the night.
Cons is maneuverability, large tow vehicle for daily driver. Backing an articulted unit, longer sites for disconnected units.
I could explain more, it would take a book.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Whats the difference on how often you move? You setup & take down with either to move. Setup times very similar, I have a buddy in a class A. We set up in about the same time, we both have auto level. Once setup we end up in my 5W with more room and seating.

His advantage is he can make a sandwich w/o stopping. I prefer the short break.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

It is a little shorter overall with the hitch in the bed, but only by about 5 feet based on my studies.

I didn't realize we were talking about length, but sure - you get 5-7ft additional space in the same package. What you aren't mentioning here and are perhaps unaware of is that the towing experience of a fifth wheel is far superior than a bumper pull. I'd much rather tow a fifth wheel all over the place than a TT (I've owned multiples of both, and have a 24' offshore boat on bumper pull so still bumper pull regularly).

DallasSteve wrote:

One other thought I didn't mention is I don't like what the hitch might do to my truck bed, and I've heard of a few mishaps hooking up a fifth wheel on this forum.

You're not any more likely to drop a fiver than you are to side swipe a lamp post, street sign, or other car. That is to say that as long as you pay attention, it won't happen. Worrying about that is a far-fetched excuse not to get one. It's even easier to pay attention here: you aren't moving when hooking up, and, depending on the hitch have (varying degrees of) clear indicators of successful connection.

* This post was edited 07/15/19 08:02pm by jshupe *

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

Whats the difference on how often you move? You setup & take down with either to move. Setup times very similar, I have a buddy in a class A. We set up in about the same time, we both have auto level. Once setup we end up in my 5W with more room and seating.

The Grand Design model I like says it has "Power Front & Rear Stabilizer Jacks". Is that the same as auto level? I thought it was.

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it is not. It is hard to find a TT with auto-level.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

I have never seen any travel trailer or fifth wheel set up as fast as a moho/toad combo.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

I have never seen any travel trailer or fifth wheel set up as fast as a moho/toad combo.

How much longer do you think it takes to set up a travel trailer. I won't be on a tight schedule so a few minutes more won't bother me. 30 minutes extra every time would be a drag.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS