Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

I have never seen any travel trailer or fifth wheel set up as fast as a moho/toad combo.

We are usually backed into our site and leveled faster than people in class a rigs even get their toads off. It’s amusing to me how long people tend to take to set up these “faster” rigs. It has more to do with how fast you work at it than the equipment you are working with, when we are comparing a fifth wheel with auto leveling and a motorhome with the same and a toad.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you do lose bed space with a 5W, even with the hitch, I still have room for an aux fuel tank / tool box, a 2nd spare & other stuff. The other advantage of a 5W-truck is once you unhook, you can find cheaper fuel, with a large MH getting into smaller fuel retailers can be difficult.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Cons

1 - I would rather drive a Jeep Wrangler than a big a$$ truck.

2 - The motorhome would probably have a generator which I would want to purchase extra for the trailer (still cheaper).

3 - Set up would probably be a little easier with a motorhome + Jeep.

4 - The ability to walk back to the kitchen or bath is nice in a motorhome, but for us it won't matter as much because we won't be making long trips between camps.

1. This is one of the big reasons in my mind to consider a MH...especially if you are into off roading a big 1 ton truck is a lousy platform.

2. A lot of 5th wheels can be had with a generator, so not really a con unless you are set on a model that doesn't have the option...but really if you are staying in parks with power most of the time, a good inverter generator in the truck bed is nearly as good for rare times when you need it.

3. Setup is about the same...assuming THE SAME BELLS AND WHISTLES. You can get autoleveling systems on 5th wheels. Backing into a site, you still have to disconnect the toad on the MH. Both you still have to hook up the utilities exactly the same. If you are moving a couple times a week, after the first month, backing into a site is just as easy with either (it's the weekender who does it 2-3 times a year that struggles as they don't develop a good feel for backing)

4. Absolutely agree. Unless you are doing long road trips in a short time, the ability to walk back to the kitchen/bathroom is over rated.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Next I recommend you reconsider buying only a new unit. RVs depreciate rapidly. Mine was in like new condition and cost less than half the cost of a new unit. Also RV construction and parts are often way less than perfect. New RVs always seem to require a shake down period and fixing issues. Let someone else do that for you. If you decide on a TT you should have lots and lots of choices for used units. A lot of families buy TTs and sell them after a few years and relatively little use as the kids grow up and refuse to travel with the parents.

You told the OP to buy only a new unit. Then you tell him the benefits of used units. [emoticon]

Makes perfect sense to me...how will I have a supply of nice used rigs in a few years if people aren't buying new rigs?

But yeah, he said "reconsider" buying new.

PS: Don't count on a new rig being trouble free. Everyone we know who has bought new rigs, have had more problems than we have buying used ones. Keep in mind just because it's under warrantee doesn't mean they won't let your rig sit for 3 months before they actually do the repairs. They already have your money.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP: Why are you considering a bunk house? Are you thinking of using the bunk room as an office? The Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS is 37 feet. If you want to consider a fifth wheel, consider the GD Reflection 337RLS which is only 35 feet long.

Are you planning on boondocking, or only using sites where at least electric is available?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

To the OP: Why are you considering a bunk house? Are you thinking of using the bunk room as an office? The Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS is 37 feet. If you want to consider a fifth wheel, consider the GD Reflection 337RLS which is only 35 feet long.

Are you planning on boondocking, or only using sites where at least electric is available?

2012 Coleman

Good questions. I'll answer and I'd like to ask a question or two about Grand Design pricing for anyone to answer.

I don't expect to use the bunk house much for guests, but since we will be living in the rig full time I like to have more closet and storage space, plus it gives the outdoor kitchen which I want. To me a bigger space waster is the sofa at the end of the 337RLS fifth wheel you posted. We won't entertain much to need that either.

As for boondocking, I want to give it a try in some parks, but we will probably use full hookups mostly, unless we like boondocking a lot. So we might not even need a generator.

I just browsed the two Grand Design models on RV Trader and the fifth wheel is about $10,000 more. I like it, but probably not that much. My question is about the pricing. I've read that Grand Design dealers are prohibited from discounting new models. It looks like they can discount unsold new models from last year (2019).

How much will the Grand Design dealers usually discount the new year models?

Thanks, Steve

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012 Coleman

There are a couple of bumper pull models from Keystone that are very similar to the 337RLS and I rate them almost as good for me as my bunkhouse plan favorite. They are the Keystone Outback 330RL and the Keystone Laredo 330RL. The only boxes they don't check are the Outback has a king bed (I want a queen) and the Laredo has no W/D hookup. They are about $5,000 cheaper than the GD bunkhouse, but I still might go with the GD to get the extra storage space in the bunkhouse, queen bed, and W/D hookup.

Steve

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you are ruling out the fifth wheel over $10,000, when you were initially considering the budget for a MH. That doesn't make any sense, unless you came to this thread looking for affirmation, with your mind already made up. That difference is a fraction of the jump to a MH.

Not many people would advise a TT for full-timing, and I believe you will likely come to regret the decision. I'm sure it'll work for you, but am also convinced you'd be much happier with a fiver due to ease of hookup/disconnect, ride, towing experience, storage, leveling, and other attributes that make them better suited to full-time living. Alternately, go all out for a DP MH.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

It sounds like you are ruling out the fifth wheel over $10,000, when you were initially considering the budget for a MH. That doesn't make any sense, unless you came to this thread looking for affirmation, with your mind already made up. That difference is a fraction of the jump to a MH.

Not many people would advise a TT for full-timing, and I believe you will likely come to regret the decision. I'm sure it'll work for you, but am also convinced you'd be much happier with a fiver due to ride, towing experience, storage, leveling, and other attributes that make them better suited to full-time living. Alternately, go all out for a DP MH.

jshupe

I explained this in the first post. I am considering an MH because the extra money would let me switch from a truck to a Jeep, so I don't agree that my position on fivers "doesn't make any sense". The fiver doesn't get me to the Jeep and I'm not sold on the "It's better for full-timing" story line. I've read posts from some people in bumper pulls who are full-timing and they say it works well for them.

Steve

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure. Enjoy your travels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Travel Trailer vs. Motorhome (my situation)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.