cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stoped routine

mnaquaman
Explorer
Explorer
So the question is: What is your routine when you stop for Fuel, Rest, Ect.?

Mine is as follows:

1 - I walk around a take a quick look at the hitch, chains, electrical plug. Is everything where it is supposed to be?

2. As I walk around the TT I will touch each axel and tire surface. Are they warmer/hotter than usual?

3. Look at the tires quick - do they appear to be properly inflated?

That being said I have yet to discover an issue! I have been doing it for so long that its just a habit. Its the way my father taught me and its how I have trained my son, he will check one side while I check the other.
Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ
44 REPLIES 44

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
pull in gas up, wife will go in camper while im fueling and use restroom. i will pull to outside of parking area out of the way or in back and i will go in camper and use restroom, then do a walk around checking things on outside.

our TT is 37 footer so once in a while at the larger stations if no convenient pump is open (my truck is gas) i have pulled around back out of way and unhooked TT then pull around to pumps without TT. my wife will slip inside TT and make a sandwich for lunch break etc. by the time i get back and rehook TT we eat. we are never in a big hurry and i can hook up our WDH blindfolded.

about a year ago i pulled into a flying j truck stop with my truck not towing and pulled into the best spot for a longer TT and tow vehicle (on an end pump) as soon as i got out to pump, a couple with a TT pulled into the station looking for a pump. pumps were full on both ends so i waved to the guy to use the pump i pulled into and moved to an interior pump. his TT was basically blocking a large section of parking area, and i wanted to make it quicker and easier for him. he verbally thanked me. i said "no problem, been there myself" a little kindness goes a long way.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinman02 wrote:
I do what most people here do but I do it last. As in when I stop for fuel or washroom break Iโ€™ll fuel up and do whatever else I have to do then on my way back to the truck Iโ€™ll take the long was around the trailer and check everything just before I leave. That way I know nobody messed with it while it was out of my sight.

I was brought up to take care of the ride first. Check for heat in tires/hubs ASAP, before they cool. And I make it a point to not be in anybodies way, be polite, give nobody a reason to mess with my snot. Then check hitch and such before I pull out...

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Vinman02 wrote:
I do what most people here do but I do it last. As in when I stop for fuel or washroom break Iโ€™ll fuel up and do whatever else I have to do then on my way back to the truck Iโ€™ll take the long was around the trailer and check everything just before I leave. That way I know nobody messed with it while it was out of my sight.

Indeed, if you are out of sight of the trailer, you need to do a last minute check to insure that all hitch pins, weight bar pins, coupler lock, electrical connector, and the emergency brake cable and switch pull-out have not been disturbed.

You would be surprised what people will do sometimes, to vandalize your property.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time I fuel up at the same locations.
I have had 36 gallon tanks on my last two trucks.
I can tow from Alabama to the Smokies on one tank
I can tow to Gulf Shores or PC also...
I generally fuel up before I hook up, and again when I un hitch.

Pit Stops... I generally park with the big rigs. I check my RV when I get out,
and again before we leave. A quick walk around, checking Cargo Doors, tires, hitch, and I'm on my way.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
My routine when stopped. Pull into a Cassie's, fill the truck, wash the windshield, use the restroom, grab a sandwich, pull away from the awning over to the grassy area, let the Collie pottie and do a walk around of the camper, load up and hit the highway. Repeat about 300 miles down the road.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Treat it like a WM parking lot. Drag out the chairs and set up the grill. ๐Ÿ™‚

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and was really surprised at the full service only. Is this to provide jobs for people or is it some sort of safety concern? I almost got knocked over when I pulled into the station and got out to pump my gas. The gas pumper was yelling at me that he and I could both be arrested for me pumping my own gas.

I remember this topic was in the news a year or so ago. they made it not mandatory or something. the morning shows had a field day. All of these people in Oregon thought the world was going to end because they might have to pump gas.

I couldn't imagine not pumping my own gas. That's like basic drivers training lol.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I can honestly say that when towing I have never delayed anyone at a pump. I try to stop at large multi pump stations, I know I am going to take up two pump stations so I will pass on a busy station.

Also, large truck stop type stations generally have lot of turn around room, so they are my top choice.

Out west the smaller remote towns do not have such opportunities but they also do not have the volume of traffic.

On vacation I fill up with at half a tank, I do not worry about cost, I have an extra 5 gallons in the truck bed and I goes for convenience and ease on maneuvering at the pumps.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and was really surprised at the full service only. Is this to provide jobs for people or is it some sort of safety concern? I almost got knocked over when I pulled into the station and got out to pump my gas. The gas pumper was yelling at me that he and I could both be arrested for me pumping my own gas.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
AutomationIsComing wrote:
I am not sure I have seen anybody mention "kick the tires" yet. Its like a tuning fork for trucks and trailers. You'll know if somethings wrong

Maybe because the only thing kicking will tell you is the tire is there. I touch mine with back of hand. Can tell if hot, but not burn fingers. Plus, any dirt transferred from tire does not get on steering wheel when moving to/from pump. We stop before we get to pump, I touch all tires&hubs while DW puts leash on the kid. She heads inside while I take dog to do the same thing. When dog is ready, we pull to pump. Most times spouse will come out take over gassing while I head inside. She will pull off to side, and all 3 of use will stand outside, enjoy a snack and drink.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I've mentioned this before,,, around here if you fill up first and then move the vehicle before paying the attendant is going to get nervous and call the police. The police will then quickly show up in numbers and make you feel like a criminal.

Best to pay first,, then move out of the way. You can then go back in to buy stuff if you want. Just to avoid the hassle.

Just about anywhere now you pay with a card at the pump. Can't pump until you put your card in. Im sure this will be less and less of an issue as some of the stations out in BFE upgrade if they haven't already.

I get a kick out of the snowmobile stops in michigans upper peninsula in the winter. You still flip the lever up to pump and have to go in to pay. No digital display lol. Its like being in a time machine.

AutomationIsCom
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I have seen anybody mention "kick the tires" yet. Its like a tuning fork for trucks and trailers. You'll know if somethings wrong

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
FF286 wrote:
No self service pumps state wide? What is the reason for that.
I can remember seeing an option for full service as a kid, but it was rare.
In the middle of winter I think this is an awesome idea.

I worked at a service station while in high school and we had full service. Buy $2 worth of gas and get your windows cleaned,oil and tires checked
That was a long time ago.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ZINGERLITE wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

I don't know why I find this humorous, but if you read that quote it's almost like the battle of the entitled. Here I am the entitled one using the bathroom getting a drink, paying for my stuff. All the while you the entitled one is stuck for an extra three minutes waiting for me to move. So who's entitlement takes precedence? :?

I've been driving and pulling things for for over 30 years. And the amount of times I've encountered a car apparently parked at a pump while the driver is inside doing who knows what has been one time. Ultimately I had to back out and move to a different pump and go about my day.

You know when I think about it, I can't remember too many stations that even have the room to park a trailer away form the pumps. So no, if I'm pumping gas and I have to use the bathroom I'm going to go do that before I get back on the road. I might even stop to buy a soda on my way out of the bathroom. And I bet you (the people on this forum not specifically the quoted above) have also done the same thing.

right, its all at my discretion. if its a busy place ill fill up and move out of the way. If not, ill browse the cooler for a drink, order a sub ect... lol. Read-the-room so to speak. Act accordingly. be conscious of the traffic flow

I've mentioned this before,,, around here if you fill up first and then move the vehicle before paying the attendant is going to get nervous and call the police. The police will then quickly show up in numbers and make you feel like a criminal.

Best to pay first,, then move out of the way. You can then go back in to buy stuff if you want. Just to avoid the hassle.