Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Stoped routine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

So the question is: What is your routine when you stop for Fuel, Rest, Ect.?

Mine is as follows:

1 - I walk around a take a quick look at the hitch, chains, electrical plug. Is everything where it is supposed to be?

2. As I walk around the TT I will touch each axel and tire surface. Are they warmer/hotter than usual?

3. Look at the tires quick - do they appear to be properly inflated?

That being said I have yet to discover an issue! I have been doing it for so long that its just a habit. Its the way my father taught me and its how I have trained my son, he will check one side while I check the other.

I do mostly the same thing but, I got lazy and bought one of those 30 dollar thermometers that you can just point at something and see the temp.

I do recommend that (as someone mentioned) you clean your windshield too. If you can't see where your going you are going to run into something.

I've seen some people driving with their windshield so dirty that they might as well be driving with their eyes shut.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

I don't know why I find this humorous, but if you read that quote it's almost like the battle of the entitled. Here I am the entitled one using the bathroom getting a drink, paying for my stuff. All the while you the entitled one is stuck for an extra three minutes waiting for me to move. So who's entitlement takes precedence? [emoticon]

I've been driving and pulling things for for over 30 years. And the amount of times I've encountered a car apparently parked at a pump while the driver is inside doing who knows what has been one time. Ultimately I had to back out and move to a different pump and go about my day.

You know when I think about it, I can't remember too many stations that even have the room to park a trailer away form the pumps. So no, if I'm pumping gas and I have to use the bathroom I'm going to go do that before I get back on the road. I might even stop to buy a soda on my way out of the bathroom. And I bet you (the people on this forum not specifically the quoted above) have also done the same thing.

right, its all at my discretion. if its a busy place ill fill up and move out of the way. If not, ill browse the cooler for a drink, order a sub ect... lol. Read-the-room so to speak. Act accordingly. be conscious of the traffic flow

I've mentioned this before,,, around here if you fill up first and then move the vehicle before paying the attendant is going to get nervous and call the police. The police will then quickly show up in numbers and make you feel like a criminal.

Best to pay first,, then move out of the way. You can then go back in to buy stuff if you want. Just to avoid the hassle.

6.2Superduty

ofallon mo

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FF286 wrote:

No self service pumps state wide? What is the reason for that.
I can remember seeing an option for full service as a kid, but it was rare.
In the middle of winter I think this is an awesome idea.

I worked at a service station while in high school and we had full service. Buy $2 worth of gas and get your windows cleaned,oil and tires checked
That was a long time ago.

AutomationIsComing

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure I have seen anybody mention "kick the tires" yet. Its like a tuning fork for trucks and trailers. You'll know if somethings wrong

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I've mentioned this before,,, around here if you fill up first and then move the vehicle before paying the attendant is going to get nervous and call the police. The police will then quickly show up in numbers and make you feel like a criminal.

Best to pay first,, then move out of the way. You can then go back in to buy stuff if you want. Just to avoid the hassle.

Just about anywhere now you pay with a card at the pump. Can't pump until you put your card in. Im sure this will be less and less of an issue as some of the stations out in BFE upgrade if they haven't already.

I get a kick out of the snowmobile stops in michigans upper peninsula in the winter. You still flip the lever up to pump and have to go in to pay. No digital display lol. Its like being in a time machine.

* This post was edited 07/19/19 05:58am by ZINGERLITE *

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AutomationIsComing wrote:

I am not sure I have seen anybody mention "kick the tires" yet. Its like a tuning fork for trucks and trailers. You'll know if somethings wrong

Maybe because the only thing kicking will tell you is the tire is there. I touch mine with back of hand. Can tell if hot, but not burn fingers. Plus, any dirt transferred from tire does not get on steering wheel when moving to/from pump. We stop before we get to pump, I touch all tires&hubs while DW puts leash on the kid. She heads inside while I take dog to do the same thing. When dog is ready, we pull to pump. Most times spouse will come out take over gassing while I head inside. She will pull off to side, and all 3 of use will stand outside, enjoy a snack and drink.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and was really surprised at the full service only. Is this to provide jobs for people or is it some sort of safety concern? I almost got knocked over when I pulled into the station and got out to pump my gas. The gas pumper was yelling at me that he and I could both be arrested for me pumping my own gas.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can honestly say that when towing I have never delayed anyone at a pump. I try to stop at large multi pump stations, I know I am going to take up two pump stations so I will pass on a busy station.

Also, large truck stop type stations generally have lot of turn around room, so they are my top choice.

Out west the smaller remote towns do not have such opportunities but they also do not have the volume of traffic.

On vacation I fill up with at half a tank, I do not worry about cost, I have an extra 5 gallons in the truck bed and I goes for convenience and ease on maneuvering at the pumps.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and was really surprised at the full service only. Is this to provide jobs for people or is it some sort of safety concern? I almost got knocked over when I pulled into the station and got out to pump my gas. The gas pumper was yelling at me that he and I could both be arrested for me pumping my own gas.

I remember this topic was in the news a year or so ago. they made it not mandatory or something. the morning shows had a field day. All of these people in Oregon thought the world was going to end because they might have to pump gas.

I couldn't imagine not pumping my own gas. That's like basic drivers training lol.

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Treat it like a WM parking lot. Drag out the chairs and set up the grill. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.