Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Stoped routine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I wonder if we are all going to do the same basic checks because we are all on the same forum.

I don't think it's because we're on the same forum. It's probably because it's common sense things that get checked and it's mostly a visual inspection.
I wash my windshield whenever I can but didn't mention it because everyone may think I'm weird. [emoticon]

parcany

Arizona City

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pull in, Wife takes dog for a walk while I fill truck up. After truck is full I move it out of the way so other people can get fuel. Then I got to the bathroom, when done I take take the dog and wife does her thing and then wife and dog gets in the truck and I check the chains, hitch tires and doors and just general look everything over and then we are on the road again. Works good for us

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

I do my checks while the truck is filling with fuel.. I don't go into the store to buy anything or use the facilities after the fuel stops filling the tank. I want out of there as soon as possible!

I have seen these types of folks however, and yes, that is annoying...

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

I do my checks while the truck is filling with fuel.. I don't go into the store to buy anything or use the facilities after the fuel stops filling the tank. I want out of there as soon as possible!

Mitch

There in lays my point, people do it.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check to see if my trailer is still back there:

If so; I'm good.

If not; I go back and look for it.

(haven't done #2 yet.)

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same.

If I have driven through weeds I check underneath for any stray branches or twigs hitchhiking.

The TPMS gives me a continual temperature readout, but I check the brakes, treads, etc anyway.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Mitch

And I'm scanning for openings in the traffic flow around the pumps. Not all motorist appreciate or understand our clearance issues.

We always move when possible but there have been one or two times where there's no pull-off area and we've let it set while we grabbed a drink. Bathroom biz is done in the RV while we fuel. Find it cleaner - and no waiting for her.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnaquaman wrote:

2. As I walk around the TT I will touch each axel and tire surface. Are they warmer/hotter than usual?

I touched my wheel hub once and burned my hand. I now use a laser temp thinger to check temps of tires and axles / hubs.

They are cheap at Harbor Freight or auto parts stores.

That particular trailer had an axle problem of some sort. It was a flat bed car hauler. It ate a tire on a 2000 mile trip. I got frustrated with it and traded it in to the dealer I bought it from for a bigger trailer on the day I took it in to tell them it had an axle problem.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same as mentioned. Add check the awning by pulling on the arms and check all the straps holding stuff on the cargo tray.
Even though we have a TPMS, I still touch tires and hubs. Also have a temp gun, but would only use it if something was off. Haven’t had to, yet.
If I can easily move from the pump, I do.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

I don't know why I find this humorous, but if you read that quote it's almost like the battle of the entitled. Here I am the entitled one using the bathroom getting a drink, paying for my stuff. All the while you the entitled one is stuck for an extra three minutes waiting for me to move. So who's entitlement takes precedence? [emoticon]

I've been driving and pulling things for for over 30 years. And the amount of times I've encountered a car apparently parked at a pump while the driver is inside doing who knows what has been one time. Ultimately I had to back out and move to a different pump and go about my day.

You know when I think about it, I can't remember too many stations that even have the room to park a trailer away form the pumps. So no, if I'm pumping gas and I have to use the bathroom I'm going to go do that before I get back on the road. I might even stop to buy a soda on my way out of the bathroom. And I bet you (the people on this forum not specifically the quoted above) have also done the same thing.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS