Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Stoped routine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I check to see if my trailer is still back there:

If so; I'm good.

If not; I go back and look for it.

(haven't done #2 yet.)

Shake the bikes on the bike rack "Still good" lol. Get in and keep going.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

I don't know why I find this humorous, but if you read that quote it's almost like the battle of the entitled. Here I am the entitled one using the bathroom getting a drink, paying for my stuff. All the while you the entitled one is stuck for an extra three minutes waiting for me to move. So who's entitlement takes precedence? [emoticon]

I've been driving and pulling things for for over 30 years. And the amount of times I've encountered a car apparently parked at a pump while the driver is inside doing who knows what has been one time. Ultimately I had to back out and move to a different pump and go about my day.

You know when I think about it, I can't remember too many stations that even have the room to park a trailer away form the pumps. So no, if I'm pumping gas and I have to use the bathroom I'm going to go do that before I get back on the road. I might even stop to buy a soda on my way out of the bathroom. And I bet you (the people on this forum not specifically the quoted above) have also done the same thing.

right, its all at my discretion. if its a busy place ill fill up and move out of the way. If not, ill browse the cooler for a drink, order a sub ect... lol. Read-the-room so to speak. Act accordingly. be conscious of the traffic flow

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I had a feeling that I was not alone on this!

For the record - my wife will watch the fuel while I run in and do my business (soda, chips, Jerky ....). When I am done she will go in and I will stay with the rig and move it if it is holding someone up. Like others this almost never the case. I generally try to buy fuel where the big boys do - I like a fuel stops that have a lot of extra room to maneuver around.

Happy Camping

Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do a lot of what's been written here.

The last stop I made, I remained aware while filling up of the clearance between my truck and the minimart's parking area. This was because it was a tight parking lot and there was barely enough room for me to exit the gas station. My plan, should someone have arrived, was to go over and ask them to keep me in mind while shopping since I needed the clearance to exit.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work part time at a busy convenience store (to stay out of the wife's hair.) We have 28 gas pumps, only 4 of them are suitable for a truck pulling a trailer or a large motorhome. The parking lot is not big enough for those units to park ANYWHERE except at the pumps. The problem comes when it is time for the units to leave and the idiots in cars, motorcycles, and non-towing trucks will not give the large units room to get out. I have had to go outside to direct traffic to get the MH's or TT off the lot. When someone comes in and asks where they can park after filling up, we tell them to stay at the pump until they are done inside. they usually leave in 10 minutes anyway.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

When someone comes in and asks where they can park after filling up, we tell them to stay at the pump until they are done inside. they usually leave in 10 minutes anyway.

The guy next to me in the cramped parking lot, had his steps extended, and his family was in and out of his 5ver while fueling. Besides that (off topic) I was surprised how little clearance he had between the AC unit on his roof and the underside of the overhang.

* This post was edited 07/17/19 12:09pm by DarkSkySeeker *

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

what about fueling and getting the heck out of the pumps and not use the restroom, wash your hands, wonder the sales area looking for snacks, order a sub, get a drink, pick up the chips from the sales area, get in line to pay ....... all while someone else waits to use the pump.

The advantage of no self service in Oregon means that pretty much doesn't happen here.

FF286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No self service pumps state wide? What is the reason for that.
I can remember seeing an option for full service as a kid, but it was rare.
In the middle of winter I think this is an awesome idea.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

I don't know why I find this humorous, but if you read that quote it's almost like the battle of the entitled. Here I am the entitled one using the bathroom getting a drink, paying for my stuff. All the while you the entitled one is stuck for an extra three minutes waiting for me to move. So who's entitlement takes precedence? [emoticon]

I've been driving and pulling things for for over 30 years. And the amount of times I've encountered a car apparently parked at a pump while the driver is inside doing who knows what has been one time. Ultimately I had to back out and move to a different pump and go about my day.

You know when I think about it, I can't remember too many stations that even have the room to park a trailer away form the pumps. So no, if I'm pumping gas and I have to use the bathroom I'm going to go do that before I get back on the road. I might even stop to buy a soda on my way out of the bathroom. And I bet you (the people on this forum not specifically the quoted above) have also done the same thing.

About half the Flying J locations have RV parking, of those that don't about half have areas around the gas pumps plenty big enough to park most rigs.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am like Turtle and Peeps, I give both the TT and the TV a cursory glance for the obvious, then leave.

The majority of the time an issue shows itself on the road, shortly after leaving camp; the window or the storage hatch is not closed tight and is flapping slightly or the back window of the truck cap pops up because it was not latched. My favorite is the leaving the gray and black tank drain pipe cap off. It lakes about 100 yards to see and hear it slapping the underside of the TT.

My wife and I have a pretty good "Cabin Check" routine when we leave, so such instances are very rare. Overtime my TT has proved to be just as reliable as my TV.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stoped routine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.