Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missing camper found alive in White Mtns of Calif

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news for those of us who have been following this story:

Found!

Last Friday, she and her husband had just pulled into either Grandview Campground or a nearby boondocking site -- the accounts are inconsistent. This is in the Bristlecone area, east of Big Pine. She hopped out of the car to take her small dog for a quick walk and just disappeared. Four days without food or water at 8000 feet.

I hope that after she recovers, she can let us all know what happened. This person is a very experienced camper and boondocker -- did she get lost? Or was there some sort of threat that caused her to run and become disoriented?

If it can happen to her, it can happen to almost anyone -- so that is why I would like to know what went wrong and how to avoid the problem.

This story resonated very strongly with me -- these folks are almost carbon copies of many of us on this forum -- avid campers and hikers, active seniors, adventurous but prudent travelers. What a sense of relief to hear that she is ok!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
19 REPLIES 19

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Unless she made it up and I'm not saying that's what happened.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
There hasn't been any other update on this news.

There likely won't be. It's rare that news circles back around on these kinds of stories.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the news story of her in the hospital and her explanation of the man threatening her. She described it lightly which I thought was strange, but then everyone reacts differently in certain situations. I wonder if there was a health issue involved, like the onset of dementia or Alzheimer's. There hasn't been any other update on this news.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I know, it has not been confirmed. But the witness/victim in this case seems very credible, given everything we know about her and her husband. So I am suspending my usual cynical disbelief and am waiting for further developments.
About our trailer

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
and then some crazy criminal chased her with a knife!

Has that been confirmed? I know I read that's what the family thought.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm all about self-sufficiency and self-rescue, but gosh -- she just stepped out to walk the dog, not take a hike -- and then some crazy criminal chased her with a knife! Do you take a GPS to walk your dog? If so, what kind of a dog do you have??

If she were some random city slicker, I would be skeptical of her story and would suspect that alcohol was involved. But she is a very experienced outdoors-person (and a dedicated boondocker). So I'm reluctant to play the "coulda-woulda-shoulda" game in this case. From what I know so far, she was the victim of bad luck.
About our trailer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Wouldn't a hand held GPS to guide you back to your starting point be in order?

so would a personal emergency locator beacon

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't a hand held GPS to guide you back to your starting point be in order?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Updates to this story confirm that this 60 yo woman from LA was confronted by a man with a knife at the restroom. He threatened to kill her dog and made sexual advances. She took off and got lost for 3 days. Still sounds very peculiar.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are day-hiking on trails, carry a colored ribbon with you - when you come to any fork or trail separation, tie a piece of it on a tree branch, or place tip under a rock - when you return, find the ribbon and your way, and take it out with you ... very light, doesn't add to weight you carry, and might save a life.

Might not work always, or even be appropriate for every occasion, like walking a dog, but you never know ... and of course, doesn't deter foul play, but will give any family or rescuers a "start search" heading if nothing else.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad she is okay. The White Mtns are very unforgiving. I agree that it is a strange story that is not logical. Who takes a stroll and gets lost for 4 days? It is very open country and easy to stay found. Something is up with this story.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The story is that she wasn't really "hiking" -- she was just walking the dog after a long car ride.

But we are just going to have to wait. Regardless, this is a good day.
About our trailer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend that's involved in search and rescue, said she wandered out to go hiking. she did not take a phone or even water. Said she wasn't even appropriately dressed for hiking. He made no mention of a knife.