cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reliability of propane and water in slide

gme105
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all! We're looking at buying our first RV and have narrowed the search to 30' class C's with a stationary walk around bed. One thing I've noticed on some (like the Four Winds/Chateau 28Z) is the stove and/or sink are in the dining room slide. That seems like a really bad idea as the propane, water and drain lines would have to flex a lot each time the slide moves. The other thing this does is add weight to the slide, adding strain on the slide motors and track assemblies. The question is, how reliable is that? Anyone have experience with a leak or failure in this type of design? Thanks!!
16 REPLIES 16

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
If the fridge is in the slide, then the upper outside vent is on the vertical side of the rig, rather than the roof, and therefore less efficient.
I have heard of this too. The chimney for the fridge offers a better draw when going straight up through the roof. With a slide out, the chimney exhaust is in the wall near the top and is less efficient because of it. When camping in hotter temps, the fridge sometimes can't keep up. The remedy is to install a 12V fan in a strategic place behind the fridge done through the outside lower access panel.

The problem is more prominent with lower profile rigs with shorter chimneys. Tall rigs with high ceilings seem to do better because their slide out is taller and therefore have a taller chimney.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
If the fridge is in the slide, then the upper outside vent is on the vertical side of the rig, rather than the roof, and therefore less efficient.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 1998 so 21 years no issues with electric,water or propane going in and out a few times. :W
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
Been on this forum for many years and I can only remember one posting where the 120 volt romex to a wall outlet was damaged by the constant movement of the slide. Other than that the slide issues have always been about the slide damaging the floor as it moves in and out.

The slide should not use romex for the flexible connection, that should be SOOW 12-2 with ground.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gme105
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I sincerely appreciate all the rapid responses and your collective experience.

I was talking to the dealer's service manager today about this and other issues and he said his experience was there were more often problems with stationary kitchen appliances with less flexibility. I can see that argument as well. Of course there are more stationary appliances (from what I can see) than those in slides so I suppose that would also mean more repair shop incidents.

It sounds like this is not the big concern I thought it might be. Again, my sincere thanks to all of you!

Greg

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
The only issue is fall/winter camping, the water lines are exposed and you would need to worry about that if temps dipped below freezing.
Not mine. The lines are all inside.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue is fall/winter camping, the water lines are exposed and you would need to worry about that if temps dipped below freezing.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
To echo above comments, our stove and RV frig are in a slide - absolutely zero issues in four years of full-timing (frequent moves - not stationary).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Been on this forum for many years and I can only remember one posting where the 120 volt romex to a wall outlet was damaged by the constant movement of the slide. Other than that the slide issues have always been about the slide damaging the floor as it moves in and out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There have been a few posts with issues. As long as the flexible portion is high quality then there should be no problems. I have water, 12V, 120V and propane in 2 slides plus a sink drain in one. Bedroom slides have 12V, 120V and TV coax.

Ours has junctions for flexible portion of the slide utilities. Between those junctions is much higher quality electrical and plumbing.

When I was buying the MH the kitchen slide plugs had a open ground. Turned out Monaco had not connected the ground in one of the junction boxes. The prior owner never checked the plugs.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
My A has sink & stove/oven in the slide; no problems so far.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Havenโ€™t had mine as long as the above posts but mine has sink, stove/oven, wh in the kitchen slide, full wall slide has refer. After 3 years all good.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our 32" Greyhawk had a slide with the stove top & oven. In the 9 years we owned it, we never had a problem with it.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It may seem like a bad idea, but mine has not been a problem in 17 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman